abs trainers and waist trainers

Options
Do abs trainers and waist trainers really work or are they just a waste of money?

Replies

• taylormoooon
    taylormoooon Posts: 130 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm actually not too sure about ab trainers, but waist trainers, while yes they WILL make your waist smaller, they will not reduce any sort of fat. I believe they slowly bend your ribs over time.

https://www.t-nation.com/living/the-truth-about-waist-trainers

Your best bet is good ol' diet and resistance training. As many say, abs are made in the kitchen. There is no trick to revealing them. It's simple fat loss!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Having seen your pictures, regardless of the fact they don't work as you can't spot reduce and certainly not with a bit of elastic, you have no need for either.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Of course they don't work. You can't change genetics. If they actually reshaped people permanently, then all Victorian era women should have had bred children with small waistlines.
    Anything that "compresses" your fat inward will "appear" to make someone smaller temporarily. Take it off and gravity will undoubtedly take care of putting it back where it started from.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TabithaQuinn
    TabithaQuinn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about the kind of neoprene "trainers" then you might lose a little water weight from sweating more but nothing long term. If you are talking about steel boned corsets and waist training/tight lacing then yes, you can see some results, although they will eventually fade too if you're not dedicated.
    I've been wearing corsets for 1.5 years and started with a 33" waist and 26" corset and am now down to about a 27-28" waist and a fully closed 22" corset. The corset does slightly move the 2 lower floating ribs and with regular wear the results can last a bit. Personally, however, I believe my weight loss was not a result of the corset but rather improved eating and workout habits because I wanted to size down. And you do eat less when wearing one.

Thus ends my rant, feel free to reach out with any questions. :smile:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about the kind of neoprene "trainers" then you might lose a little water weight from sweating more but nothing long term. If you are talking about steel boned corsets and waist training/tight lacing then yes, you can see some results, although they will eventually fade too if you're not dedicated.
    I've been wearing corsets for 1.5 years and started with a 33" waist and 26" corset and am now down to about a 27-28" waist and a fully closed 22" corset. The corset does slightly move the 2 lower floating ribs and with regular wear the results can last a bit. Personally, however, I believe my weight loss was not a result of the corset but rather improved eating and workout habits because I wanted to size down. And you do eat less when wearing one.

Thus ends my rant, feel free to reach out with any questions. :smile:

I honestly just never put forward tightlacing as an option. It's not something the general population are going to do and even should do. And as you say, even the results from that are temporary not to mention the very real and high risk of muscle atrophy from the level of wear required. I like corsetry, I like the aesthetic, I can lace pretty tight because of my body shape but my desire to be functionally strong and stable means I will never tightlace.
  • TabithaQuinn
    TabithaQuinn Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I honestly just never put forward tightlacing as an option. It's not something the general population are going to do and even should do. And as you say, even the results from that are temporary not to mention the very real and high risk of muscle atrophy from the level of wear required. I like corsetry, I like the aesthetic, I can lace pretty tight because of my body shape but my desire to be functionally strong and stable means I will never tightlace.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect that. But the facts regarding corsetry is that it is very safe when done safely and correctly. There is no very real or high risk of muscle atrophy from reasonable corset wearing, even on a daily basis. While there are some enthusiasts who might take their hobby to what some consider "extreme", but I don't think that the very few should be the guideline. There will always be those who take things to that next level, but we don't tell people not to diet just because some people are anorexic, or tell someone not to wear make-up just because some people look like Mimi from the Drew Carey Show. With research and safe habits, corseting is perfectly safe. Reasonable wear coupled with healthy eating and exercise would not lead to muscle atrophy. Honestly, my core is in better shape now than it was pre-corset because I also try to eat healthy and workout, but I still enjoy wearing my corset on date night or just when doing dishes or something.
    And as to whether or not someone "needs to" try a corset, or any other body modification for that matter (piercing, tattoos, etc.), it's a matter of personal preference. I can't imagine why anyone would "need" to do any of those things, but if it makes the wearer feel good/sexy/confident/badass or whatever, and they are being safe and have done their research, then I see no reason why they shouldn't at least give it a try. :smile:
  • laceyn18
    laceyn18 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't see any difference in wearing waist trainers than wearing Spanx. It's a marketing gimmick. However, I couldn't see myself downing an entire pizza while wearing a corset so maybe there's something to it! J/k
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My understanding was that waist trainers would not work without diet and exercise to keep fat down and develop muscle.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    To me the rubbery waist trainers are like spanx, though a step up in intensity.
    Now true steel boned corsets are a whole other matter. When it comes to true waist training then it's proper corsetry or bust.