Vegan/plant-based low cal recipes?

Options
elliemaycock6195
elliemaycock6195 Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2017 in Recipes
Anyone have any recipes that are low in calories and have no animal products in that they would be kind enough to share? I have plenty of recipies for indulgent high calorie treats but low on ideas for healthy meals haha
Thank you!!!

Replies

• EileenHJ
    EileenHJ Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Following - would like to know some aswell :smiley:
  • keaunaariane
    keaunaariane Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pinterest, guys!!! There is so many vegan recipes. And most meals are low calorie if you're not using oils to cook.
  • ashtree42
    ashtree42 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Red cabbage, tofu, and soy sauce cooked in just a bit of oil. So yummy.
  • pmyn29
    pmyn29 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Shakshuka. Just brown some onions and garlic, add paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne , other spices. Then just throw in a can of diced tomato and then let it simmer and thicken for like 30-45 minutes. Crack some eggs into it and finish in the oven. Super easy and good for dipping bread, top with feta if you can afford the extra calories
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've got a pinterest board full of vegan recipes here :)
  • landydodo
    landydodo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I have been transitioning to vegan over the past 6 months and have been noticing a consistant weight gain due to my high carb diet. Do you guys have any tips for me. I am moderately active and calorie counting doesn't seem to be helping.
  • SABoj
    SABoj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for over 30 years. If you're new to it, it can be a little more difficult to make sure you're getting proper macros.... I hear people all the time talking about not getting enough protein.

Generally whole grains, legumes, soy products (organic and non-GMO), and nuts and seeds are primary protein sources for vegans. And nearly all vegetables contribute to daily protein levels.

There are a million incredible recipes out there too - they aren't all pastas & breads...
    Examples I like-
    Tabbouli salad with beans or chickpeas added to make it a main dish
    Black bean soup & crusty whole-grain bread with a side of salad
    Rice or soba noodles with stir-fried asparagus and cashews
    Bean & veggie burritos
    Chickpea burgers
    Mexican Quinoa Salad
    Curried Potato Salad with Lentils and Tomatoes

If you need extra help/support, feel free to add me. Good luck.
  • cmfranco11
    cmfranco11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just started vegan....scared of the high carbs and high sugars...
  • Aurora_Lia
    Aurora_Lia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just bc it's vegan doesn't mean it's healthy! I find more high fat and high sugar recipes out there. I like things like fresh bruchetta recipes (I am so I tired of hummus and tofu and and avocado), broccoli sauteed in water, soy sauce with a little honey, steam edamame, and salads.

My salads are like this: fresh herb greens with steamed beets, diced Yukon potato (cooked), strawberries, blueberries, pecans and a fresh made honey Dijon dill salad dressing. Also Asian salads are like on spinach and bok choy, with shredded carrots, sliced oranges, edamame, tofu (sauteed in soy sauce and a little brown sugar first), and top with almonds and wasabi peas, and you may not even miss the dressing.

Should I post my fav berry crumble crisp from Deb Madison's book?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    pmyn29 wrote: »
    Shakshuka. Just brown some onions and garlic, add paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne , other spices. Then just throw in a can of diced tomato and then let it simmer and thicken for like 30-45 minutes. Crack some eggs into it and finish in the oven. Super easy and good for dipping bread, top with feta if you can afford the extra calories

eggs are not vegan -- nor is feta.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Zucchini noodles with vegie/tomato sauce - add some beans/chickpeas for protein.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    landydodo wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have been transitioning to vegan over the past 6 months and have been noticing a consistant weight gain due to my high carb diet. Do you guys have any tips for me. I am moderately active and calorie counting doesn't seem to be helping.

Do you weigh your food on a scale? If calorie counting isn't helping, you're either eating more than you think (inaccurate logging) or your calorie goal is too high.
  • aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I just finished a bowl of Mexican Bean Posole Stew for my lunch, it was delicious. See below screen shot from my mfp recipe database.

nfn0xt5rnn5b.gif

I think it was 1.5 litres of stock and it's one drained can of beans (black beans are really good too)
  • landydodo
    landydodo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    landydodo wrote: »

Do you weigh your food on a scale? If calorie counting isn't helping, you're either eating more than you think (inaccurate logging) or your calorie goal is too high.

I just purchased a scale and I'm also going to try intermittent fasting 16:8. I hope this works!
  • SABoj
    SABoj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My latest obsession....... BARBACOA CAULIFLOWER TACOS

1 head cauliflower (I prefer to "rice" mine, but just as tasty if you cut into small florets)
    1 yellow onion, diced
    1-2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 can corn kernels, drained
    1⁄3 cup vegetable broth
    Salt & pepper, to taste

Sauce
    1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    3 -4 chipotle chiles in adobo
    4 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
    4 teaspoons cumin
    2 teaspoons cilantro
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 small jar roasted red peppers (or roast some yourself!)

Slaw
    1/2 a medium head red cabbage, in thin strips
    1 medium carrot, grated
    2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, preferably from a Meyer lemon
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    2/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro

Combine vinegar, lime juice, chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt, red peppers, cilantro and cloves in a blender or processor on high speed until smooth. Set aside.

Combine ingredients for slaw in a separate bowl, mix well and set aside.

Pour oil into a frying pan and quickly "sear" the cauliflower and yellow onion on medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes. Pour sauce, corn and broth in the pan. Cook on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes (or cook in the oven at 350 degrees). If necessary, season with salt & pepper to taste and serve warm. Serves 10-12.

Feel free to serve in a grilled pita or corn tortilla shell and add the cilantro slaw. Don't forget the toppings and sides - quinoa or rice, black or pinto beans, pico de gallo or homemade guacamole.

Approximate Nutrition Per Serving (without sides) - Calories: 142, Fat: 5 g, Saturated fat: 1.7g, Carbs: 20 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugar: 2 g, Protein: 4 g, Cholesterol: 3.9 mg, Sodium: 192 mg