Ok Im a little confused with something I been doing for a wh

Options
I can do the whole healthy food,portion control,exercise to an extent,but there are days when I really screw up.For instance tonight i cooked a nice healthy dinner and my other half wants to go out.-its usually at night and my other half is the one kinda talkin me into it but I know I can say no but then I get to wherever we go and I eat like Im starving even after Im full.I feel like Im gonna hurl and I feel super guilty. Is this normal? Does anyone else do this? I want to stop it,but I dont think I can.

Replies

• cibolodave
    cibolodave Posts: 45
    Options
    it hasnt happend to me this go around yet, but it did the last time I tried to lose weight. it will be ok. tomorrow is a new day
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I think everyone has those days where they slip up...or at least I know I sure do..today was one of those days for me. The important thing is to get right back into it right away. But maybe in the future you could ask your other half to let you know in advance when they're going to want to go out...or if that's not possible and you've already ate, maybe just stick with a salad with light dressing. I know that's easier said than done and like I said I have more than my share of slip ups but if we can tough it out we will reach our goals!! Good luck!!
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You probably eat alot because you are telling yourself "It is a treat, we don't do this much, it is fine." Which it really is OK as a sometimes thing. But then you feel sick because your body isnt used to the amount or type of food and you feel guilty. This happens to me too and I almost cry and i want to puke to undo what I did but I dont. But it really does bother me even though I try to tell myself that once and awhile it is ok to splurge a little.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I get those times when I am like that. It is usually when I feel like I am depriving myself of something. I just say screw it. It doesnt happen often anymore though. You need to find a balance so your not lacking anything you "want". Does that make sense? At least thats what it is for me. I learned to find healthier alternatives to the things I crave. It helps.
  • kparks770
    kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I mean this happens sometimes once a week or maybe 2 times but I dont know what to think.I never can tell when Im full so I eat till I get sick sometimes.Its like Im addicted,but then I can control it sometimes.Its aggrevating. Its disheartening cause sometimes I wanna quit all together other times I dunno what to do.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry too. I just do my best and make decisions to not do stupid things. but they do happen and I will eat the cake and then the next day I will start over.
    I try to eat only healthy food even if I go over I know the food will be good for me. Some say that a salad with a lot of junk on it is still bad. But to me it is not as bad as a dbl bacon cheese burger. Ultimately it is your call to be as healthy as you can. You need to be your own savior. You should think twice about what goes into your mouth but once you fall just start again.
    I ramble but that can be good too!:yawn:
  • shlyab
    shlyab Posts: 8
    Options
    Its okay, you will have a bad day occaisionally. Just remember tommorrow is a new day and back to making better choices.
  • a_freeman
    a_freeman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents. First your other half owes you a warning so you don't eat dinner before you go out. Second, agree on a place ahead of time so you can look the menu up and decide what you are going to eat when you get there. Stick with the plan and you won't feel guilty or want to hurl. Red Robin has a cool interactive menu where you can add and delete items to your meal and get the complete nutritional value
  • kparks770
    Options
    Yeah its hard she has a job where she works all the time,so she eats pretty bad,though I try to help fix healthy alternatives.Im thinking of not buying anything bad anymore and then she will be forced to eat whats here.Unfortunately she also wants to eat out a lot and the only thing nearby thats open half the time is the danf waffle house lol
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if you are ordering way to much food to start with.....if you can eat till you are physically sick there is too much food on your plate.

Plan what you are going to eat, and then order the smallest portion you can....ask them to leave off the "fattening bits" the fries, etc.... Ask for some vegetables or salad...

The big issue is that if you have it on your plate you keep on eating (I am like that as well, so I now order SMALL)

I always say I had to learn the word SMALL instead of LARGE!!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Its all in your mind!

Prepare yourself to go out before you do. Know where you're going and what they do, and if possible browse the menu before you even get there, while you're at home select what you're going to order and stick with that despite of what your partner orders.
    Don't judge your partner and don't let him/her judge your choices either.
    Once you return be proud of yourself for taking control of the situation.

If you can't do this today, keep practicing. Mental control is not that hard.

I personally do a "cheat day" monthly where I get to eat what I want when I want, last month I had a pretty decent sized pizza, however and since this month's cheat day is approaching, I've already decided that I will reduce the portion for this month if I go with pizza. I may even change it all together and go with something a little healthier.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I mean this happens sometimes once a week or maybe 2 times but I dont know what to think.I never can tell when Im full so I eat till I get sick sometimes.Its like Im addicted,but then I can control it sometimes.Its aggrevating. Its disheartening cause sometimes I wanna quit all together other times I dunno what to do.

Do you eat fast?? It takes your body about 20-30 minutes to start to feel full. Maybe try eating slower if this is the case?? I know I used to have a big problem eating to fast...still do sometimes (embarassed to say) : (
  • kparks770
    Options
    Oh yeah I do and I didnt think about it. I love mexican and I keep on eatting those chips and cheese.
  • Pistolcoach
    Pistolcoach Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    some helpful tips: look at the menu on line before you get there, pick a meal when you are stil thinking rationally. then, when you get to your destination you don't even have to look at the menu and all of its temptations :O) ALSO, tell your significant other that you want to be sure you order something healthy BEFORE you get to your destination. Its easier for me to stick to healthy eating if I've already told someone thats what i'm going to do! Drink a lot of water on the way there, water can give you a sensation of 'full' and help you with the caloric intake. AND as someone else already mentioned, listen to the messages you are playing in your head. how are you justifying it? are you lying to yourself? Change that minipulative internal recording into a positive mantra "is the 2K calories i'm about to consume really worth the hours on the treadmill?" "I am strong enough to avoid the foods I don't need" ...whatever motivates you :) Good luck!
  • cazzincali
    cazzincali Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Everyone telling you "it's okay" is doing you a disservice. What you are doing will keep you fat. If we all did it... we would all stay fat. That's the bottom line. YOU have to decide if YOU are WORTH saying NO to your partner. And if she cares at all about you, she wouldn't "talk you into it" when she knows you have already eaten. You might want to ask yourself why she is trying to sabbotage your efforts.

12 years ago, I weighed well over 300#. If I gave in everytime someone tried to keep me fat - I would STILL weigh over 300#!!

Maybe the question is: How bad do you want this?
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    you're definitely not the only one who does this. I'm the one who does the cooking here, and some nights when I get home I really don't want to cook. Usually, I'm tired and just plain burnt out and my husband (when he's home) will just agree to go get take out.

However, when we go to a sit down place usually I like to get a soda with dinner kind of like a treat, but I get a glass of water too and I'll drink the water during the appetizers or if there's chips and salsa (as Mexican is also my favorite) I will drink the water a lot to prevent eating the chips. And talk, cause as you're talking you can't be eating.

The viewing the menu before hand is good as well, but if you're going to the same place each time that makes it more difficult, so why don't you suggest a different place? I love trying out different places in town, we haven't been here long enough to have eaten at a lot of the places and I love checking them out. She might be just suggesting that because its familiar and she's burnt out, so if you come up with something different she may go along with it.

And you should probably have a sit down with her and explain to her that you're really trying hard to change your lifestyle and would like some support from her on this. You're not pushing your views on her, but with out her support it makes it sooo much more difficult because she is your partner and thus one of the most important people in your life whom you really on a lot for support. Now that maybe an assumption on my part, but I think that significant others are the main support person in anyone's life as that is the inherent way a relationship should go.

So good luck with this and remember WE are always here for support. You can do this. You've been doing great so far and can continue don't give up.
  • kparks770
    Options