Omega 3

Options
What's the best way to get Omega-3 in your body of you're a vegetarian and can't take fish oil? :glasses:

Replies

• mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to get Omega-3 in your body of you're a vegetarian and can't take fish oil? :glasses:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    From http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=75

Recommendations for omega-3 consumption

To date, the Institute of Medicine at the National Academy of Sciences has not yet issued any Dietary Reference Intakes for omega-3 fats. Recently, however, the National Institutes of Health recommended that people consume at least 2% of their total daily calories as omega-3 fats. To meet this recommendation, a person consuming 2000 calories per day would have to eat at least 2 grams of omega-3 fats. Many nutrition experts believe that this recommendation is not high enough, and would suggest, instead, that people consume at least 4% of their total calories (approximately 4 grams) as omega-3 fats.

Food sources of omega-3 fats - flaxseeds and walnuts

At the top of our list for increasing omega-3s would be flaxseeds and walnuts. One-quarter cup of flaxseeds contains about 7 grams of omega-3 fatty acids while one-quarter cup of walnuts contains about 2.3 grams. In either case, the amount is pretty substantial. Therefore by combining one-quarter cup of walnuts with a tablespoon of flaxseeds you will add close to the recommended 4 grams of omega-3 fats to your diet.

Food sources of omega-3 fats - beans

Flax seeds and walnuts are not your only choices, of course! One cup's worth of soybeans, navy beans, or kidney beans provides between 200 and 1,000 milligrams of omega-3s (0.2 to 1.0 grams). A four-ounce serving of tofu will provide about 0.4 grams of omega-3s. Therefore, these foods provide between 10% and 50% of the National Institutes of Health recommendation, and a substantial step up from the average U.S. adult intake.

Hope that helps:drinker:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, and i buy flaxseed in little individual packets and sprinkle on all kinds of things - like smoothies, salads, bean soup, etc.

I buy Hodgson Mills travel flax with 21 individual packs - keep in with me all the time...
  • mrhappy
    Options
    Whoo-hoo! I am very happy! I use flaxseed oil in my grape nuts (with Silk) and in my tea, and I eat walnuts every day. Probably around 20! Thanks for the info!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Whoo-hoo! I am very happy! I use flaxseed oil in my grape nuts (with Silk) and in my tea, and I eat walnuts every day. Probably around 20! Thanks for the info!

haha well there ya go you're already getting it :tongue:
  • mrhappy
    Options
    Well, its interesting. I've seen estimates of Omega-3 suggested intake ranging from 1000 milligrams (American Heart Association) up to 3,70-0 per day (current issue of Best Life).

What's even more interesting to me personally (yes, I am just anal enough to think this stuff is interesting...) is that one tablespoon of the organic flax oil I use is 6,200 milligrams and 110 calories including 11g of fat! That's a lot considering my fat gram goal per day is just 40!

Up till this weekend I was just spraying the oil (it comes in a squeeze bottle) into my cereal and tea randomly without measuring. "Its good stuff," I told myself; "who needs to measure?" :sick:

LOL! I've probably been putting 200 calories and 20 grams of fat in my body every day for who knows how long without even thinking about it! Duh!!! :explode:

But, we live and learn. The good news is I really only need about half a tablespoon and this stuff is expensive. So I'm good!

:glasses:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I've been told peanuts, and avocados. Hope thats correct - verification from someone?
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    well i never thought about adding the oil to something....i just take the flaxseed oil straight from the bottle...i am going to start mixing it...thanks for the idea!!!..i just started taking it a while back since i was afraid i might be lacking the omega-3 being a vegetarian...
  • mrhappy
    Options
    Yeah, I go through the same thing! I am trying to find a way to cut fish out of my diet to get to a vegetarain base, but I worry about the Omega 3. I mix the flax oil with everything!