Could use some motivation please

Hirang2015
Hirang2015 Posts: 13 Member
Finding hard to create the gym habit. So I'm thinking some friendly force would help that. Add me and I'll help you as much as I can too.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,194 MFP Moderator
    Your motivation is going to have to come from you. If you don't want it enough, no amount of 'friendly force' is going to get you to the gym. Do you want it?
  • socaldogmom
    socaldogmom Posts: 96 Member
    Three weeks ago I walked into the gym and Just walking in the door was a challenge. Every visit has been a little easier but I'm motivated and I have two personal training appointments a week to keep me going back.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    There is some truth to what @JustSomeEm says. But there is also evidence and a type of therapy that has you compare yourself to others, seeing others in action is motivating.
    Comparisons: "Wise Mind A C C E P T S"
    Compare yourself to people coping the same as or less well than you. If you are doing better than you were a year or two or five years ago, make that comparison. T Some people find this helpful, others don't. Just do what works for you.

What do you think about comparisons for motivation?
    Here are the seven strategies DBT uses to enhance commitment, along with some prompting questions:

1. Basic rationale for commitment: Pros and cons - What are the reasons to take action steps? What are the reasons to refrain from action steps?
    2. Devil’s advocate - Can I hold the arguments (mine and others) to not commit... AND still want it?
    3. Foot in the door - What is the smallest action I can take in the direction of my goal I have committed myself to?
    4. Door in the face - Consider giving this commitment 100% of your time and energy. Okay? Likely not, so let’s be reasonable given the demands of your life and identify how much time, at this stage, you will give these commitment behaviors (wanting it, saying you want it and taking action).
    5. Connecting present commitments to prior commitments - Remember when you have been able to want it, say you want it and to act like you wanted it…how can you build on that experience in this current situation?
    6. Highlighting freedom to choose and absence of alternatives - Consider that you can choose to not take action toward the goal so you remain where you are and that getting to the goal can only occur when you take action.
    7. Using principles of shaping - How can I encourage myself to take progressive steps toward my goal?
  • Hirang2015
    Hirang2015 Posts: 13 Member
    Since I posted this I haven't missed a day of working out. Found multiple reasons to start and not quit. My main objective now is not only to get down to a size I was 5 years ago(160), but to beat my records that I set for myself on the way there.