Weight loss and periods

Options
I have lost 9 lbs but just put on 2 lbs. I have just started my period although my diet has stayed the same. Help!!!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Water weight. It is not fat.
  • nicholal2
    nicholal2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is my first full month of being on a diet. I have never lasted longer than a week before. Thanks for advice and support. How long have you been on a diet and what results have you seen?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You've never seen your weight go up when you have your period?
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Started 2 days ago - and weight's up about 5lbs right now. It happens.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    nicholal2 wrote: »
    This is my first full month of being on a diet. I have never lasted longer than a week before. Thanks for advice and support. How long have you been on a diet and what results have you seen?

I've been watching my food intake for eight months, as of yesterday and dropped 68 lbs. Time of month is different for everyone. I personally tend to bloat before my period and then, during the first couple of days I tend to have digestive issues and need the bathroom a lot, so the bloat/water weight goes away, probably with a bit extra.

Overall, you need to look at the trend. If you're gaining now, it's not unlikely for you to have a significant loss next week, followed by a very modest one, or even a small gain (for me, 0.2 to 0.4 lbs) a week later. It's frustrating, but I try to remind myself about the 3-lb loss a week or so earlier that I didn't do anything differently to get. Same thing with the gain. Weight loss isn't linear, keep an eye on the trend over time, etc etc.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

If she's anything like me, then she wouldn't have paid attention before she started dieting and weighing regularly. I'm 45 and only noticed the water weight connection in the last couple of years. Because i never had a weight problem before then, a few pounds up before TOM is something i never noticed or even thought about.
  • nicholal2
    Options
    Yes I've only just started to weigh myself as always felt healthy. I have now lost the 2lbs that I gained so sticking to my healthy eating. Currently at 8st 8lbs.
  • nicholal2
    Options

No, I've never needed to monitor my weight before.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I usually put a few pounds around my ovulation and period and they all gone right after my period ends. Nothing to be worried about
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yup period will mess up your water weight for awhile. If I'm theoretically losing 8lbs a month, instead of being an evenly distributed 2lbs a week, it's more like 2lbs for two of the weeks, 4lbs one week, and 0 lbs one week. The whoosh after a period is rewarding but it's frustrating holding that water weight.