Spot Reduction

Options
I thought I would open up a discussion about spot reduction. Myth or reality? And why does the body store fat in certain areas more than others?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You should probably pop this in the debate section though I think there's already a discussion.

Genetic predisposition for fat storage. Spot reduction, permanent, is myth. Someone round here uses a good analogy of a damp sponge, you can just dry one corner.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Myth. And have a gander at your parents, where do they store their extra padding?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    there shouldn't be much of a debate on this one - it is a myth and I can't imagine many arguing it is reality other than those trying to make some $$$$ off something they are selling...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It has to do with genetics... something about alpha-receptors on certain fat cells that are more resistant to breakdown vs. beta-receptors which mobilize easily. I don't know the exact physiology in depth.
    The question is, is there any way to target and reduce those alpha-receptors. That I have no idea. I am sure there are some techniques for lean people trying to get leaner that may help, but also a few unsafe ways. For the rest of us, just keep lowering bodyfat %.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    I thought I would open up a discussion about spot reduction. Myth or reality? And why does the body store fat in certain areas more than others?
    Myth, unless you're talking about surgery. You CANNOT effectively reduce body fat from an area of the body by targeting it with exercise.

And the reason for storage in certain areas......................genetics. That can be blamed directly on your parents.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks mum..
  • WorkoutResults21
    WorkoutResults21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options