Any tips?

Options
New to this app and excited to get started. Any of you guys have any tips you'd be willing to share for achieving the most success? :)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Buy and use a food scale!
  • horses4ever1414
    horses4ever1414 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This app is great :)
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    welcome to the MFP community....hands down the best app I ever came across...best wishes on your fitness journey :)
  • x_desertcolt_x
    x_desertcolt_x Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    this is just me but i dont included calories burned exercising when meal planning. i still log it but if my target is 2100 and i do 1000cal workout, i still limit food intake to 21 and not 31...does that make sense?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Eat now the way you mean to eat for the rest of your life. In other words, if you plan to give up desserts, eating in restaurants, bread, etc for all time, fine. If not, there's almost no reason to cut any of that out now. Off the top of my head, I can think of two exceptions:
    • Some sort of medical restriction that may or may not be permanent. If it's permanent, then yes, you are planning to give up that food for all time.
    • Most of us have our foods that we just can't stick to a moderate portion with. Those specific foods should probably be avoided unless you have a way to obtain a controlled portion. (Example: If a large bag of potato chips would be devoured in under an hour, but you realize that you have enough calories in your 'budget' to allow you a small bag, buy one small bag. A single serving of ice cream instead of a gallon.) You might find that as you get used to eating lower calories, you'll have more willpower.

Make room for indulgences. A treat is not necessarily a cheat. It's not a diet staple either. Personally, I eat mostly healthy, but I make room once a week for a frosted shortbread and two pieces of potato kugel. When I make desserts I keep them to 200 calories or fewer per serving and fit them in. I also eat a lot of veggies, grains, fruits, legumes, etc.

When it comes to weight-loss, a calorie deficit is all you need. However, in order to feel satiated and energetic, and get the nutrition you need? That's where eating healthy makes a difference. In other words, even though you would absolutely lose weight if you ate nothing but candy and deep fried fast food in a calorie deficit, you would probably be hungry, lethargic, and eventually malnourished. (Short-term, your health markers would improve because weight-loss will do that.) I've seen posters recommend an 80/20 split (80% nutrient-dense 'healthy' foods, 20% treats). I'm not so scientific about it, but, like I said above, I eat mostly healthy.
  • fortheloveoflife_44
    fortheloveoflife_44 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    x_desertcolt_x: I'm still a little confused :#

estherdragon: Your insight is very appreciated and I agree completely. It is discouraging to begin something that you just absolutely cannot manage for the rest of your life and I personally find that I begin to feel bad for not being able to stick with something I started. Sweets are my downfall :o

Thank you all for your encourage so far!
  • x_desertcolt_x
    x_desertcolt_x Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    ok so, if i do some exercise, that doesnt mean i get to eat more for that day
  • CoffeenSquats
    CoffeenSquats Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    @fortheloveoflife_44, welcome :flowerforyou:

What are your goals? Good luck!