Do you eventually lose the fat from problem areas?

Options
So of course spot reduction is not a thing, it's overall body fat % that you have to reduce through a caloric deficit but I have stubbbbbborn fat in my legs (both thighs and calves). I lose from my legs sooooo much slower than the rest of my
Body! I have lost ~50lbs and have seen major results everywhere else (waist, arms, face, neck etc). Now I have seen results in my legs, but nowhere near as much as the other areas!
:( I am continuing on with my diet and exercise though but will I eventually lose the fat from my legs or do my genes mean I won't lose it? Thank you!!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,994 Member
    Options
    It will shrink. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, eventually, but it may mean getting much lighter/leaner than you'd like.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yes, you just have to keep dropping... I had the reverse problem... lost everywhere else, but my upper arms were the most stubborn... they didn't fit the rest of me at all! I did find that weight training in a deficit allowed the rest of my body to continue looking nice/shapely while "getting leaner than I'd ideally like". :-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I ditto the 'yes but it might mean getting leaner than you'd like in other areas' too. I still have fat in my midsection but my legs look like sticks. I hate it, but it's unfortunately just genetics.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    As per the above re getting leaner than you'd like. I am a banana shape, and genetically carry fat mostly around my belly. My legs and arms slim down very easily, but my belly is stubborn (though it's reducing). Keep at it, it will get better. Unfortunately you cant tell your body where to burn fat, and you cannot change your body shape. You can, however, learn to love the body you've got and treat it well.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You may see an improvement, but it depends on your expectations and how low you want to go. For me, maybe if I get down to bodybuilding lean levels. But that's not gonna happen so just going to have to start accepting certain areas.
  • lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes! It took me 4 months before I started to see changes in my legs. And it's still going ever so slowly. I found even in my legs that some sections are slower than other (hips are the slowest!). I also agree that you may have to come to a point where you either want to push for more loss or sustain. I am pretty close to where I want to be weight wise so that point is coming for me soon.