The How-to of Taking Body Measurements

Options
So many of us wonder exactly where to measure so I looked it up for the correct method and thought I'd put it in a thread of it's own in case others have similiar questions along the way:flowerforyou: Hope it helps others:wink::bigsmile:
FC:heart:

Taking Measurements

Taking your body measurements is an excellent way to keep track of your changing shape as you get fitter. Body weight by itself is not a good indicator of improved fitness. This is because when you burn fat and increase your muscle mass, you may weigh a bit more even though your body is getting tighter and smaller. This is due to the high density of muscle tissue compared to fat.

What Exactly Should You Measure?

The most common measurements include the circumference of your chest, biceps, waist, hips and thighs. Sometimes the neck, forearm and calf are also measured.

Chest: Measure around the largest part of your chest.

Biceps: Measure midway between the top of your shoulder and elbow.

Waist: Measure at the narrowest point, approximately one inch above your belly button. No cheating! Don't pull in your belly or stick it out.

Hips: Measure your hips around the largest part of your buttocks with your heels together.

Thigh: Thighs are measured separately. Stand with your legs slightly apart. Measure your upper leg where the circumference is largest.

How?
Use a flexible measuring tape as used by dressmakers. It can be as long as you need. If you use a plastic or cloth tape, bear in mind that these materials may stretch over time.

Wear the thinnest clothes possible, or none at all, so as not to add to the measurements you take.

Try to measure yourself in front of a full-length mirror so that you can see if the tape is positioned correctly.

Perhaps you could find another person to help with the measuring. They would be able to read the results more easily.

Keep your muscles relaxed while measuring.

When measuring, pull the tape just tight enough to keep it from sagging.

How often?
Measure yourself about every eight weeks.
Do not take measurements more often than monthly as it may take six to eight weeks to notice any change. You shouldn't expect to see progress more quickly than this and taking your measurements more often can be discouraging.

http://www.weight-loss-program.com/art13-taking-measurements.html

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    So many of us wonder exactly where to measure so I looked it up for the correct method and thought I'd put it in a thread of it's own in case others have similiar questions along the way:flowerforyou: Hope it helps others:wink::bigsmile:

Taking Measurements

Taking your body measurements is an excellent way to keep track of your changing shape as you get fitter. Body weight by itself is not a good indicator of improved fitness. This is because when you burn fat and increase your muscle mass, you may weigh a bit more even though your body is getting tighter and smaller. This is due to the high density of muscle tissue compared to fat.

What Exactly Should You Measure?

The most common measurements include the circumference of your chest, biceps, waist, hips and thighs. Sometimes the neck, forearm and calf are also measured.

Chest: Measure around the largest part of your chest.

Biceps: Measure midway between the top of your shoulder and elbow.

Waist: Measure at the narrowest point, approximately one inch above your belly button. No cheating! Don't pull in your belly or stick it out.

Hips: Measure your hips around the largest part of your buttocks with your heels together.

Thigh: Thighs are measured separately. Stand with your legs slightly apart. Measure your upper leg where the circumference is largest.

How?
    Use a flexible measuring tape as used by dressmakers. It can be as long as you need. If you use a plastic or cloth tape, bear in mind that these materials may stretch over time.

Wear the thinnest clothes possible, or none at all, so as not to add to the measurements you take.

Try to measure yourself in front of a full-length mirror so that you can see if the tape is positioned correctly.

Perhaps you could find another person to help with the measuring. They would be able to read the results more easily.

Keep your muscles relaxed while measuring.

When measuring, pull the tape just tight enough to keep it from sagging.

How often?
    Measure yourself about every eight weeks.
    Do not take measurements more often than monthly as it may take six to eight weeks to notice any change. You shouldn't expect to see progress more quickly than this and taking your measurements more often can be discouraging.

http://www.weight-loss-program.com/art13-taking-measurements.html
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Awesome info!! Thanks!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Awesome info!! Thanks!!

• gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ive been wanting this info!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Thanks Ive been wanting this info!
    :flowerforyou: good so glad it will come in handy!:bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :yawn: :drinker:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    to elaborate in the waist, if you bend to the side, that's usually where your natural waist is.

also, some people like to measure where your hip bones lie... like if you feel the top of your hip bones and measure around your love handles, i've seen that considered your hip measurement as well. Then the measurement around your butt is well the measurement around your butt :tongue:

i measure in the three different areas because i'm bottom heavy and very curvy in these areas. My waist is 30" while my hips are 40" and around my butt is 45". Quite a difference, right?
  • ggabald
    Options
    Thanks. My body measurements were bouncing all over the place because I wasn't measuring correctly and consistently. Appreciate the info.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Question.....Does anyone watch Dr.Oz on Oprah? I thought he said something about when you are measuring your waist to suck it is as best you can..because that is the measurement of your waist and something to do with the fact that you can't keep it like that is a muscle problem, not your waist measurement problem???? I dunno, I am totally new to all this so I may have misunderstood but, can anyone clarify? Did anyone see that episode???
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Question.....Does anyone watch Dr.Oz on Oprah? I thought he said something about when you are measuring your waist to suck it is as best you can..because that is the measurement of your waist and something to do with the fact that you can't keep it like that is a muscle problem, not your waist measurement problem???? I dunno, I am totally new to all this so I may have misunderstood but, can anyone clarify? Did anyone see that episode???

I do watch Dr. Oz when I can but I didn't see that particular show. He does know his stuff so He may have said it, well if you heard Him, then He did.:tongue: Sorry on my wording.:blushing:

I had never heard that theory before, I've always had someone at the gym measurem and they say be natural, so no holding in, no pushing out your stomache. Dunno beyond my experience...

Interesting what He shared.....

• Fitness_Chick
    Options
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    ok, ok I will put my measuring tape away for awhile.
  • Blossom01
    Blossom01 Posts: 658
    Options
    So This is how it is done:love: Thank you
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!!! I was actually just thinking this yesterday when I was measuring!

I was meeting the measuring tape right at my belly button instead of an inch higher!!!

Thank you for posting the info!