Depression maybe?

Options
I might be depressed and don't know how to stay motivated. Food isn't the problem as I'm resultantly eating less but leaving the house is a struggle :(

Replies

• Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Depression or lack of vitamin D.
    See a physician immediately
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I 2nd seeing a GP or pdoc, a therapist may be helpful as well. Its important to seek treatment as early as possible for depression because you are more likely to have a better outcome.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Change your name. Go to the Dr. and get checked out. Start a walking program.

Try to forget about motivation. Motivation is fleeting and unreliable. You can't count on motivation to get you through the day to day of weight loss. Summon some determination. It's there.

It's Independence Day. A good day to start. But the only thing you can change right now today is your mind. Weight loss is liberation.
  • asugar7979
    asugar7979 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good advice given here. Seek help and start a daily gratitude list. Hope you can find joy in the little things .
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I might be depressed and don't know how to stay motivated. Food isn't the problem as I'm resultantly eating less but leaving the house is a struggle :(

Forcing yourself to exercise (especially in the sun if possible) is the most effective anti-depressant, it's free, and has no negative side effects. I really hate plugging the group because I dislike them, but there's a subreddit called "eood" exercise out of depression. There are many physiological reasons why pushing yourself to exercise will help alleviate the depression.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Yes! Exercise is a great aid in fighting depression. Lots of brain chemistry benefits in exercise. Overrated as a weight loss strategy.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Make an appt with your doctor. If you're clinically depressed, there's a good chance you could benefit from a prescription medication. If leaving the house is a struggle, ask yourself why.....lack of motivation, reason, anxiety,etc.....
  • evergreenlake
    evergreenlake Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sounds like depression, definitely seek help from your doctor or a therapist, you can break through and achieve your fitness and other goals with a little help!
    I couldn't get out of bed for months, but with help and starting little by little, I was able to overcome it and be a healthier me.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Forcing yourself to exercise (especially in the sun if possible) is the most effective anti-depressant, it's free, and has no negative side effects. I really hate plugging the group because I dislike them, but there's a subreddit called "eood" exercise out of depression. There are many physiological reasons why pushing yourself to exercise will help alleviate the depression.

Yeah, depending on where one is with their depression, this advice isn't likely to help. Often the ability just isn't there to force themselves to do much. And people really need to stop touting it as an anti-depressant, nevermind 'the most effective'; it's not. Good for you, yes if you can manage it. But an anti-depressant it's not.

OP, definitely go in to see your doc about this, have someone go with you if that's easier.
  • Mads7878
    Mads7878 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil x4 capsules daily, helps my moods a lot message me if you want xx
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Please go to a doctor right away. If medications are prescribed, some of those take two weeks before you will notice an improvement. You can ask for a referral to a therapist, too. You can't just cure yourself of depression with willpower alone.

Exercise isn't going to cure clinical depression or anxiety. It can often help alleviate some low moods, but if you can't force yourself out of the house...
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    1 gram of EPA + 1 gram of DHA + 5,000 IU of animal based D3 every day did more for the intentionally unmedicated major depression I've experienced since 2006 than hiking 5-16 miles a day, 3-5 days a week, with 1-3+K elevation gains, for 2 years straight ever did.

If exercise works for you to elevate your mood, great. Goodonya! But if it doesn't, there isn't a *Bengal tiger* thing wrong with you. Never let yourself think, or anyone tell you, there is.

Also, after the near-anaphylaxis allergic reaction I experienced secondary to hiking into a wasp nest's vicinity back in 2012, I would beg to differ with the concept that there are no negative side effects to exercise... XD