Underweight + need muscle mass , suitable macros + fat intake?

Options
I used to be severely underweight but I've come a long way from there and now am only a few pounds away from my minimum healthy weight range. However I now really want to gain some muscle mass + build a lean body which I feel strong with but not sure what my percentages of macros should be? I am also finding it hard to reach enough calories per day, so weight lifting then becomes counter productive as I begin to lose weight again? I find it easier to build calories up with healthy fats (nut butter, humous, avocado) but then my percentages of macros are much higher in fat than in protein and surely this is also counter productive?

Replies

• MassarDv
    MassarDv Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try Treecalculator.net
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Google Eric Helms nutrition pyramid. Watch the videos and implement.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I used to be severely underweight but I've come a long way from there and now am only a few pounds away from my minimum healthy weight range. However I now really want to gain some muscle mass + build a lean body which I feel strong with but not sure what my percentages of macros should be? I am also finding it hard to reach enough calories per day, so weight lifting then becomes counter productive as I begin to lose weight again? I find it easier to build calories up with healthy fats (nut butter, humous, avocado) but then my percentages of macros are much higher in fat than in protein and surely this is also counter productive?

There are a variety of macros that would work to help build muscle, but you aren't going to get lean while bulking up. You bulk to optimize muscle growth. You cut after, to eliminate fat gains. For protein, you only need about .7-1g per lb of weight (more if you like it). The bigger thing is having a good training program based on progressive overload (link below). There a variety of ways to eat and gain muscle, so if you prefer fats, that is ok. I'd still try to get some carbs in to help promote muscle building. I have also added a second thread that can help you get calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest