best shoulder builder exercises?

Options
molbook
molbook Posts: 11 Member
Hi all,

So i got into a car accident awhile back and messed up my right shoulder. Its lost a lot of muscle mass and id like to get my symmetry back. Any suggestions for building the top of your shoulder up quickly? (Not exactly sure of the technical term but its right above where the arm and should meet)

Id greatly appreciate the advice/suggestions :)

Replies

• willfalconxp
    willfalconxp Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hey sorry to hear about the accident.

Given that you shoulder would have lost a lot of strength I'd actually dial back the weight for both you left and right shoulders (doing whatever exercises you currently are for the left arm). There's two reason for this 1) If you try and lift to much to soon on your right arm by attempting to match the kgs your good arm can lift then your likely to do more harm than good 2) If you want symmetry then lifting an equal level of weight for both arms is going to be your best bet.

The good news is (depending on how long it's been since the accident) your right shoulder shouldn't take to long to 'remember' how strong it was and get back to it's original strength/size.

I had a motorcycle accident a few years ago and almost lost my foot as a result, so I know from experience that dialling back the weights and almost starting pretty much from scratch for what ever muscle lost its strength/mass sucks but it's the safest and smartest way to do so.

But ultimately though if you're unsure about any advice given on this forum - in regards to your shoulder - I would consult your physio.

Good luck with the shoulder.
    Cheers,
    Will
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    top of the shoulder is middle deltoid afaik. the stuff on the back edge of your collarbone is mostly upper trapezius.

overhead press is terrific for middle delts in my case. BUT i'm going to say that you shouldn't ever work just one section of your shoulder girdle. or probably even just one of the muscle groups that belong to that whole complex. impingement there is a real pain in the *kitten*.

i do bent-over rows, scapular stabilization, y-and-t exercises and that external-rotation thing with forearms at right angles and the elbow close to the body, to try and keep my rear rotators and scapular stabilizers in the game. and i'll pass on a dictum i got from the physio who taught me to do most of them: 'with shoulder rehab, you should never ever work to fatigue'. i can't say i observe that rule with compounds like the rows and the overhead press, but for the individual rotator muscles, i do.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    overhead press is terrific for middle delts...

Yes, the overhead press, aka military press, is the king daddy of shoulder building exercises.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You are going to want to build the entire shoulder. You are only seeing the most visible difference. You're going to want to work some extra stability in there. Band pull aparts, bottoms up kb press, etc. Most of your movements are going to be dumbells until your strength returns. All the usual, OHP, rows, etc.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You are going to want to build the entire shoulder. You are only seeing the most visible difference. You're going to want to work some extra stability in there. Band pull aparts, bottoms up kb press, etc. Most of your movements are going to be dumbells until your strength returns. All the usual, OHP, rows, etc.

This!!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    molbook wrote: »
    Any suggestions for building the top of your shoulder up quickly?

Muscles don't grow quickly. What's the rush?
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

They will if she uses anabolic steroids :wink:

• molbook
    Options

Guess i shouldn't have said quickly. I trained as a police officer before this injury and was in great shape. I just hate not having the strength i once did. Id rather shoot for stability and strength, doesn't matter how long it will take.
  • molbook
    Options
    Hey sorry to hear about the accident.

Given that you shoulder would have lost a lot of strength I'd actually dial back the weight for both you left and right shoulders (doing whatever exercises you currently are for the left arm). There's two reason for this 1) If you try and lift to much to soon on your right arm by attempting to match the kgs your good arm can lift then your likely to do more harm than good 2) If you want symmetry then lifting an equal level of weight for both arms is going to be your best bet.

The good news is (depending on how long it's been since the accident) your right shoulder shouldn't take to long to 'remember' how strong it was and get back to it's original strength/size.

I had a motorcycle accident a few years ago and almost lost my foot as a result, so I know from experience that dialling back the weights and almost starting pretty much from scratch for what ever muscle lost its strength/mass sucks but it's the safest and smartest way to do so.

But ultimately though if you're unsure about any advice given on this forum - in regards to your shoulder - I would consult your physio.

Good luck with the shoulder.
    Cheers,
    Will

Great advice, i just started back at the gym, i did all my rehab and they finally said "you need a gym more than you need us" which was awesome but now i just want to get.my strength back. Thanks so much for the reply!
  • molbook
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Ok ill keep all of this in mind. Thank you so much!
  • molbook
    Options
    top of the shoulder is middle deltoid afaik. the stuff on the back edge of your collarbone is mostly upper trapezius.

overhead press is terrific for middle delts in my case. BUT i'm going to say that you shouldn't ever work just one section of your shoulder girdle. or probably even just one of the muscle groups that belong to that whole complex. impingement there is a real pain in the *kitten*.

i do bent-over rows, scapular stabilization, y-and-t exercises and that external-rotation thing with forearms at right angles and the elbow close to the body, to try and keep my rear rotators and scapular stabilizers in the game. and i'll pass on a dictum i got from the physio who taught me to do most of them: 'with shoulder rehab, you should never ever work to fatigue'. i can't say i observe that rule with compounds like the rows and the overhead press, but for the individual rotator muscles, i do.

Thats a good point. Im so used to working until i poop out (im a runner so thats probably where that comes from) ill need to watch myself and not over do it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I would suggest bands or dumbbells...OHP, lateral and anterior raises, rows, back and pec flys. No equipment: push-ups and tricep dips.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    When I was first building my shoulder back up chest press, over head raised, planks, push ups, and chair tricep dips were my routine. I still do all of those but I now am in a boxing club 3 days a week too. Once I had enough strength and stability to safely take to the bag boxing built my shoulder strength like nothing else.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Lateral raised, overhead press and deltoid raises. You want to do multiple exercises to hit your entire shoulder. If you're in recovery, keep the weights a bit lighter and go for higher reps and perfect form. Do slow, controlled movements.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Why wait?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Don't know the extent of your injuries, or what you have going on now, but don't forget the smaller muscles to support and stabilize.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have the same issue with torn rotator cuff in my dominant arm. I'm assuming you already finished your Physical Therapy, so your mobility should be back to at least 90%,but your strength will be nill.

Rows, rows, rows. Barbell rows, overhead press, power press. All with much lower weight than you'd normally use for chest, triceps, and biceps. Because your uninjured arm, shoulder, and even neck is going to compensate *against your will* for your weakened right arm (I'm going through this for months now). You'll swear you're using them equally and find that your "good shoulder" has all the tweaks, pain, and strain. And I did many months of PT first. Now I do live BodyPump and supplement in the weight room. But no matter how light I think I'm going on shoulders the *other* side craps out and leaves me essentially "benched" for a week every 2 to 3 weeks.

Basically... however easy you think you should be on it... multiply that x4 and THATS actually how easy you should be on it. And for a good, long while. Hit the weights. But use extreme caution because you will be surprised how much you'll end up compensating with your neck, underarms, *other* shoulder, and other unexpected areas. It's a slow process. Really really slow. Don't push it.

Arm raises using your shoulder blades (squeeze through them first, try not to use biceps or arms) on a Swiss Ball at home are both tedious and very effective to start. Raise, hold, squeeze (10 seconds), release. Do same with rows. Then "open the door, close the door" with bands. Then move to rows on a cable column. Eventually... the barbell rows are best. Dumbells are fine, too.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thought these visuals might help :)
    3.jpg
    u4qhw2r39fpl.png
    06p5bkp8oaha.png
    the-shoulder-workout-thats-missing-from-your-life-composites1.jpg
    shoulder-5.jpg

• joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just do dumbell shoulder press for anterior deltoid head, side raises for the medial head, and cable rear delt flies for the posterior head