Any vegans or vegetarians?

Options
hrj888
hrj888 Posts: 30 Member
I'm a transitioning vegan. I was formerly pescatarian since I ate fish and occasionally chicken but no beef or pork. I just watched the documentary Whst the Health. I have Crohn's disease. It suggested in the documentary that a plant based diet could put me in remission. I decided to try a vegan diet to try and improve my health and for the love of all animals. I'm a 26 year old female. I also have about 35-40 lbs to lose. Feel free to add me on here for support.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    That documentary cannot be trusted. Ex: They stated that animals cause osteoporosis. McGreggor is an animal rights activist with his own agenda to make the world eat plants and save all animals. He even is on the payroll (works for) the Humane Society of America.
    Enjoy documentaries from the internet, but take them with a grain of salt. In another video in youtube he stated that meat causes diabetes. Seriously.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 25 years. I love my way of eating; it works well for me and fits my personal beliefs. I believe it does not make me any healthier or less healthy than if I ate similar macros but incorporated meat.

It would be fantastic if a vegan diet were actually shown to improve Crohn's disease. If it helps your symptoms, go with it. If they did find a cure, though, it would be huge news. It wouldn't just be presented in a movie.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot. I decided to try vegetarian last March for 6 weeks. I love it and am sticking with it. Enjoy!
  • aribel95
    aribel95 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian but I don't eat vegetables lol
  • tkc616
    tkc616 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just started being a vegetarian at 31. I honestly never really enjoyed meat that much- and how they treat animals has pushed me to stop eating it. Eventually I would like to become a vegan which I think is so much harder!
  • Creativityfailure
    Creativityfailure Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Been vegetarian for 22 years. Initially decided to go that route because I thought it was healthier overall and because I'm extremely picky and didn't like most meats anyway. These days, just the sight of uncooked meat makes me queasy. I've never heard about any positive effects on Crohn's from being vegan or vegetarian. You may want to look a bit more deeply into the topic or talk to your doctor about it to see if that might actually help. Good luck with it though. Keep us updated.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Ovo-lacto vegetarian since age 19. I'm 45 now. I don't cook much dairy, but I eat yogurt and string cheese. Most of my cooking is vegan. (Long story short, I'm married to a meat-eater. We're both kosher. And since strictly kosher involves different dishes and utensils for meat and dairy, eating together at the table means trying to make sure that if the cooked veggies are in a meat bowl, nobody sticks a dairy spoon in, etc. Most vegetarian cookbooks seem to be over 50% dairy and I seem to get more bang for my buck with vegan cookbooks, so I have a lot of them. Not opposed to cooking with eggs. I just won't come across recipes that contain them in my usual cookbooks.)
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 9 years. I dabble in veganism because i'm allergic to dairy but I still eat cheese sometimes anyway lol. I don't miss meat at all, I love vegetables more than anything. Even when I ate meat I ate processed meat like chicken fingers, sausage, scrapple, or corn dogs ... all slathered in ketchup or honey mustard. I was addicted to sugar back then. Cutting out the meat was easy and now I would never consider going back, I don't even like the taste of meat.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Second degree vegetarian. Cows eat grass; I eat cows.
    I have no problems with those who choose to avoid meats as long as they don't preach to me.
  • fatvegan88
    fatvegan88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Recent vegan. Though I have actually gained weight since going vegan, I'm still happy with my decision. I eat like a saint and the scale doesn't budge the way it used to on a low carb diet. Ya you can do vegan low carb but what a terrible existence. My psoriasis has cleared up and so has my acne since doing this so I'm happy about that.
  • vegeh
    vegeh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I went vegan in January because the lifestyle alligns with my personal beliefs. I can't speak to the effects veganism may or may not have on chronic illness, but I can say that it hasn't had any impact on my weight. Remember that weight loss is still just eating less calories than you burn. I also supplement B12 and iron - check in with your doctor to ensure you don't become deficient in any nutrients. Good luck!
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm currently transitioning to a whole foods, plant based diet for the potential long term health benefits. I still include small amounts of animal products though, especially wild caught salmon, (most of the Blue Zones eat fish).
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for most of my life as I never really liked any kind of meat (my mother gave up trying to get me to eat meat at 13). I used to hide the meat and pretend I ate it until I got caught!

Anyway. I do end up eating vegan on some days without even trying (when I'm not logging) but have a hard time doing the transition full time as it would mean giving up cheese and chocolate (I dislike the vegan versions of both).
  • mweaver2k
    mweaver2k Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started the plant based diet last week. I been a meat/potato guy my whole life so this is not easy. I can't say I will eliminate meat completely but I will minimize the heck out of it. It's been a full week since I had any animal protein and that is 1 week longer then I have ever gone. I'm hoping the health benefits are true. Just something to try and hope that my 5 days a week of strength/cardio workouts don't suffer.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian (lacto/ovo) for over 9 years. I was never diagnosed with anything. However, when I was still eating meat it would really mess up my stomach and once I stopped eating meat my issues resolved on their own. It's worth a try! My body does way better without meat, everyone is different.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    mweaver2k wrote: »
    I just started the plant based diet last week. I been a meat/potato guy my whole life so this is not easy. I can't say I will eliminate meat completely but I will minimize the heck out of it. It's been a full week since I had any animal protein and that is 1 week longer then I have ever gone. I'm hoping the health benefits are true. Just something to try and hope that my 5 days a week of strength/cardio workouts don't suffer.

We sound very similar :)
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian coming on a year now.... and I gained 15 pounds! I realized at some point that vegetarians should eat... vegetables? Ha ha :smile: As I am working my way through my weight loss journey I am trying to rely less on the carbs to fill my belly. I love the macronutrient analysis that MFP provides so I can make sure I have enough balance in my diet. It has been such a learning experience!