Strength training - slower weight loss than cardio?

I started 10 days ago doing strength training with a trainer in a gym for the first time, usually I've been doing cardio / running and normally I would see weight loss in the first week, but not now.

So, I was wondering, is strength training slower weight loss than cardio based exercises?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    There are more variables at play now. First, you started a new exercise which in itself will likely cause you to retain water. This is especially so with lifting. The water helps your muscles to repair and it may mask a loss on the scale.

Second, if you were using cardio to help create your deficit, you may slow down weight loss if you don't adjust your food intake to accommodate the decreased calorie burn. The same principle still applies though. Calories In vs. Calories Out.
  • jasonlangdon74
    jasonlangdon74 Posts: 13 Member
    What are you using to determine weight loss and are you confusing weight loss with fat loss?

If you're using a number on a scale, that doesn't work with strength training. For one, strength training builds muscle so the number on the scales may stay the same even though you are loosing fat. Basically, you're just replacing the fat with muscle. Secondly, cardio dehydrates you faster then strength training so a lot of what you see in that first week of cardio is just water weight, not actual fat loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    strength training burns less calories, so yes, if you are eating the same but doing mainly strength training instead of cardio you will lose weight slower
  • tomitzel
    tomitzel Posts: 3 Member
    I use a scale to measure progress and calories the same as on cardio.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    What are you using to determine weight loss and are you confusing weight loss with fat loss?

If you're using a number on a scale, that doesn't work with strength training. For one, strength training builds muscle so the number on the scales may stay the same even though you are loosing fat. Basically, you're just replacing the fat with muscle. Secondly, cardio dehydrates you faster then strength training so a lot of what you see in that first week of cardio is just water weight, not actual fat loss.

if someone is dehydrated they will retain water, making them weigh more, not less?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    It all depends on context and normalizing the variables.
    Once you account for calorie burn differences, & water retention from strength training there should be no differences in loss rate. But until then, things can be all over the place weight wise. Be patient.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member

If you're in a deficit you should still see a downward trend on the scale if you're weight training. You don't replace fat with muscle.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    It all depends on context and normalizing the variables.
    Once you account for calorie burn differences, & water retention from strength training there should be no differences in loss rate. But until then, things can be all over the place weight wise. Be patient.

This