Cheat day weight gain?

Options
I've worked really hard to lose ten pounds in five weeks. I did it the healthy way of exercising more then I consume, exercise and counting calories. I've done well having a balanced diet, and changing my lifestyle. I went away for the weekend and didn't eat as healthy as I wanted, And I made a rule that exercise will not be punishment for what I eat, so I didn't go to gym because I worked out the previous five days and want exercise to be positive. Well after my weekend, I gained three pounds on scale and no way did I consume 3500 calories times three. Is this water weight...did I undo everything I worked for in two days? When should I reweigh myself? I'm trying to lose over 50 pounds, I'm trying to not get discouraged. Any advise????

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Exercising more than you eat?!
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think I worded it wrong, I basically make sure I have a calorie deficit, my fitness pal gives me my calories and when I exercise I am allotted more calories to consume, but I don't eat it back because that is for weight maintenance, so I am left with usually 500 cal left over each day....hope that makes more sense.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think I worded it wrong, I basically make sure I have a calorie deficit, my fitness pal gives me my calories and when I exercise I am allotted more calories to consume, but I don't eat it back because that is for weight maintenance, so I am left with usually 500 cal left over each day....hope that makes more sense.

Nope... you have a deficit before exercise, which means you can eat exercise cals back.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

If you set your profile to lose weight you're already in a deficit. Since you burn more calories when you exercise than MFP expects, you should be eating back at least a portion of those calories.
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Omg I didn't realize!! I thought eating them back would make me maintain!!! Thanks for the info
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It will be water weight, I had a bad weekend of drinking and eating and was up 3lbs on Sunday and now just up 1lb it will go in a few days or so
  • cass0314
    cass0314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Definitely water weight. You said it yourself-you didn't eat 10,500 calories. Don't freak out! Keep chugging water, weigh again in 3-4 days and you'll see that 3lbs disappear again.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Along with water from sodium, some of the physical food may not have, ah, cleared out yet.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Don't listen to people telling you to eat your exercise calories back! You certainly can eat some of them, but how accurately are you measuring your calorie burn? MFP, fitness trackers, and machines at the gym can't be 100% trusted. They are great for estimating and great for motivating, but I wouldn't trust them completely. Listen to your body. Eat healthy things when you are hungry, and drink lots of water. Don't worry about daily fluctuations in the scale. Weight loss is not linear. Sounds like you've got a good handle on this. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • 260scott
    260scott Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are usually high sodium days as well. Most of the weight gain will be water related if you consumed high-sodium meals that day.