Just added up my monthly grocery expenses - I'm sick

Options

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm usually pushing that, or more. But I have 3 kids.

No also. Have to drive 40 miles for a Walmart or Kroger affiliate.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    We don't drink alcohol but my BF is bulking and I swear it's like feeding a pony. He eats about 5K/day. I'm cutting I eat max 1800. We need to stop buying nuts and red meat LOL

He needs to donate more money into the joint account since he is eating way more than you.

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Do you know any hunters? I get 10-20 pounds of free venison every season :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My husband and I spend about $250-300 a week. We could spend a lot less if we picked different food but it works at the moment...

We're in Australia though, and I think groceries are more expensive in general.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I live in Ontario Canada and our weekly food bill is $300 plus for 5 people (including 23 year old twin boys with hollow legs). I shop at Walmart for meat as it's cheaper and go to Food Basics and Freshco when I can. Simple fact is here, if you want fresh healthy food, expect to pay through the nose for it. Add to that the fact that I need gf food, and the bill gets higher. I make as much myself as I can, especially as my husband is pre-diabetic and has high blood pressure and the only way I can control the sugar and sodium content of a lot of foods is to make it. I also work 6 days a week. I wonder why I am tired and broke lol. Came home today to hear that our Liberal government just gave $10 mil to an admitted terrorist. Can I come live with you guys in the States - at least then I could get Halo Top.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am currently at around $40 a week for one person, but I eat seasonally and pretty much only buy stuff that's on sale...when chicken goes on sale I buy a lot of it, for example--eventually you get a variety in the freezer. Currently tomatoes, corn, zucchini, strawberries are my go to produce items. Come fall/winter it will be apples, citrus, squash. Spring is more salad greens, spinach, rhubarb, snap peas, etc. $900 a month I would be freaking out too. Note that I do eat some organic and what not but I don't have the budget to do it all that way.

Agreed with above poster that if he's eating 5k a day that is more like feeding 3 people for $900, so a little better, but I would still be wanting to cut that. If you have an Aldi around, it can be a budget saver...I usually dnot buy meat there, but other stuff that they have is very reasonably priced. Also check gas stations for things like milk and eggs...eggs are 49 cents a dozen at the one up the street and milk under $3 a gallon. And veggie protein vs animal protein could be helpful too.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I think our moist toilet wipes and coconut water have to go lol I suppose it's not that bad but damn, I never really added it all up before! I thought I was spending 130-150/week which clearly I am not lol
    Invest in a bidet attachment, lol, way cheaper in the long run than moist TP and regular tp. plus you also use less TP overall. Also for those days when moist TP is needed, this feels so much better!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    www.moneysavingmom.com has a good tutorial on her blog on how to save money on groceries. I spend about $450/mo for 4 of us, though "supplies/consumables" are separate for us ($130/mo for all the toiletries, paper goods, cleaning supplies, stamps, etc.).
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    We spend a solid $350 per week for 2 adults and 1 teen. Sounds about right to me. Especially if you cook with lots of fresh and/or organic ingredients and don't freeze things. We shop at least 3 to 4 times per week because no one want to cook up a 3 day old tuna steak or 4 day old veggies. Our berries spoil in about 5. Ugh so frustrating. But yeah... it's expensive as hell if you don't eat a lot of canned, packaged, and frozen junk.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd have a heart attack if we spent $900 on groceries. We eat very well and I spend about $450 a month for two of us. Costco is my best friend :)
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Holy moly. At least you spotted it relatively early though :)
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    :o

No wonder people are saying it is so expensive to eat healthy food in the US!

I keep a budget speadsheet but I put food, going out and household items in different categories, to get a more accurate picture of what I spend on food (I also have a category for my unhealthy buys, like chips and chocolate so that I can't hide it amongst the food expenses and pretend it's not a problem). Also you can't buy alcohol over a certain % in stores here (and it is a low %) and I don't drink right now due to medication so that saves me a lot.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    You're not alone, we spend about 1,100 a month for the two of us including household items. It makes me a little uncomfortable just because I know we could still eat well for a fraction of that. We live simply in other areas though so I imagine it balances out.
  • TazziPlissken
    TazziPlissken Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm in the UK and our household grocery bill is approximately £440 a month, (about $568 US) and that includes toiletries, cleaning products, nappies/diapers and baby formula. There's two adults and 5 children.
    How expensive is food etc in the states??
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    We spend usually between $200 and $250 per month for food and alcohol for two people (I'm in west Tennessee). That does not include me buying lunch 3x/week or going out to eat 2-3x/month. I think when you add that in it is closer to $500/month. Kroger is my best friend (plus I get discounted gas with their rewards program).
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think we spend $170 a week at Whole Foods and Publix for two adults, plus probably $250 for meals out per month, plus $100-200 at Amazon or Vitacost per month (snacks, protein bars, etc.). So well over $1000/month for two adults. No meat, either (except occasionally my husband orders it for himself when we go out). We don't drink and we don't wait for sales (although I admit to getting very excited over buy-one-get-one-free packages of Reese's peanut butter cups at Publix last week). It doesn't really concern me but that's because our current income level supports it.
  • annabel92
    annabel92 Posts: 77 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    That's crazy!!! I spend about £100 per month (c. $129) for my share of the food shop - so about £200 ($258).

All of the food I buy is fresh - nothing frozen, very rarely anything tinned. I want to know what you're buying!! Fresh food must be much more expensive over there...
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Wow. I would be homeless if I spent that much on food.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ohio, USA, and I probably spend about $320.00 per month INCLUDING alcohol, usables, & restaurant meals (DBF and I alternate who pays for our 2 dinners out per week, and usually they are less than $40.00 each). I don't do much snack or dessert food, and I make my own dinners & lunches (not many convenience foods, unless they are on sale and I know my time is limited). My target calories per day are only 1340 though, so I suppose each US$ I spend covers a larger percentage of my caloric intake versus someone on 1800 or 5000 kcal a day.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »
    I live in Ontario Canada and our weekly food bill is $300 plus for 5 people (including 23 year old twin boys with hollow legs). I shop at Walmart for meat as it's cheaper and go to Food Basics and Freshco when I can. Simple fact is here, if you want fresh healthy food, expect to pay through the nose for it. Add to that the fact that I need gf food, and the bill gets higher. I make as much myself as I can, especially as my husband is pre-diabetic and has high blood pressure and the only way I can control the sugar and sodium content of a lot of foods is to make it. I also work 6 days a week. I wonder why I am tired and broke lol. Came home today to hear that our Liberal government just gave $10 mil to an admitted terrorist. Can I come live with you guys in the States - at least then I could get Halo Top.

I'm in Ontario too, the GTA. We cook a lot of our own food and rarely buy prepped items other than some sugar free BBQ sauces, and low carb wraps, Cool Whey which are more expensive items I can't price match but tbh only I use those and I use them sparingly. Our protein consumption is high... even though my bf bulks on 5k his protein is still only about double mine (250g) but it makes a huge difference. He also doesn't eat eggs cause he doesn't like them so all his protein comes from meat sources which tend to be expensive. I can't wait till he starts cutting lol