Just added up my monthly grocery expenses - I'm sick

Options

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I believe we budget about $200 a week for food/etc. that includes stuff like toothpaste, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, vitamins, etc. Some weeks we can come in below that number some not. It probably just depends on where you live and the cost of groceries in your area. If we ate what we wanted every day, we'd easily double that number.
  • briansico
    briansico Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have found it helps to use an app/website like Mint.com to track spending. We were spending over $1200/month on groceries for a family of 4. We are now down to about $900. Shopping for staples at Aldi helps a lot. Prices also vary greatly depending on location - central NC prices tend to be high.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I buy all my non-perishables at Walmart.com and have them shipped to my condo. I don't have a car, so it saves having to carry so much back from the grocery store and it's super cheap. I buy bathroom items, TP, PT, cat food and litter, and things like crackers, Peanut Butter, Gatorade, etc. It's free 2-day shipping for orders over $35. We save a lot of money that way.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what have you been eating? Or did you throw a lot out?

we eat a lot of chicken which isn't too bad but lately a lot more red meat since the BF is bulking. I usually buy chicken breasts, thighs and ground chuck and occasionally some steaks if they're on special. Salmon is expensive af. I'm going to cut out some convenience items or just not needed items.

[1] Buy more 'filler' for the boyfriend to up the calories with minimal expense.. bread, rice,... you know, all those cheap starchy foods. 'rice and beans' is cheap and supplies the fiber most people don't get enough of.
    [2] Have him calculate how much protein he actually needs. More than likely, he doesn't need to inhale such massive quantities of meat and fish to meet his goal.
    [3] bulk purchase of protein powder might be cheaper than trying to fill that quota with meat.
    [4] If he's bulking, then he has room for fat in his protein sources. --ie cheap cuts of meat/ground beef/chicken thighs/etc rather than the massively expensive fish and lean cuts.
    [5] Buy local/frozen/canned. You're paying a large logistics/waste/transport premium on any large-distance-shipped fresh items.
  • ritzvin
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm in Saskatchewan Canada and my grocery bill is also sickening. I shop at superstore and Walmart and I spend $250 per week to feed our family of 4. That does include toiletries and stuff but doesn't include a takeaway meal a week or any alcohol we may or may not buy. Sad thing is my husband is a hunter so we have a freezer full of homemade sausage, roasts, hamburger meat and my brother in law raises meat chickens so we also have a freezer full of chicken so I buy meat rarely. If i haf to huy meat our grocery bill would be over 300 a week. I buy a lot of fruits and vegetables and they are crazy expensive here and things like milk, cheese, yogurt etc...are also very expensive. I envy people who live in the warm climates who have access to cheap fruits and veg all year or people who live in places where feeding a family doesn't cost a fortune cuz that's certainly not here

Eating more like they eat is actually quite cheap here (ETA: in Southern Canada/Northern US anyway). On this side of the globe at least, those people largely live off of stuff like rice & beans supplemented with some meat & fruit (cheap here as well if you stick to local fruit - apples in our case) or arepas (cornmeal-based patty somewhat like an english muffin) supplemented with cheese/meat & fruit. They aren't trying to get the majority of their calories from fresh fruit/veg and meat.

(ETA: I'm in the northern US. I would guess that you ARE most likely paying quite a bit extra compared to us for even shelf-stable foods due to remoteness.)
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Wow! I'm in the UK and our household grocery bill is approximately £440 a month, (about $568 US) and that includes toiletries, cleaning products, nappies/diapers and baby formula. There's two adults and 5 children.
    How expensive is food etc in the states??

I think it has more to do with what people here view as "healthy food". If you are mainly eating trucked-in fresh produce (and add more $$ for any 'organic' stickers) and only the leanest cuts of meat, then it is indeed expensive.

Beef and fish have gone up in price quite a bit in the last few years though. I tend to buy ground turkey almost exclusively now because I usually refuse to pay the beef prices. And fish that isn't from China/Vietnam is ridiculously expensive. Chicken is still cheap though (unless you insist on only eating boneless, skinless chicken breasts).
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I'm in Saskatchewan Canada and my grocery bill is also sickening. I shop at superstore and Walmart and I spend $250 per week to feed our family of 4. That does include toiletries and stuff but doesn't include a takeaway meal a week or any alcohol we may or may not buy. Sad thing is my husband is a hunter so we have a freezer full of homemade sausage, roasts, hamburger meat and my brother in law raises meat chickens so we also have a freezer full of chicken so I buy meat rarely. If i haf to huy meat our grocery bill would be over 300 a week. I buy a lot of fruits and vegetables and they are crazy expensive here and things like milk, cheese, yogurt etc...are also very expensive. I envy people who live in the warm climates who have access to cheap fruits and veg all year or people who live in places where feeding a family doesn't cost a fortune cuz that's certainly not here

I live in South Western Ontario, London specifically, and I have to say I love that I am so close to farmer's markets and local produce in the summer. It helps cut down the grocery bills when I can shop locally and it's great produce. I will say, though, that even here groceries can be very expensive . . . it all depends on what you buy. I recently - for my own reasons - decided to become vegetarian and my bills are so much less than they were before. Cutting out meat has done a lot for my wallet . . . finding other suitable sources of protein has also been an adventure. It's doable but an adventure lol.

I still eat eggs, cheese, and dairy products but not in huge quantities. I spend about $60 -$80/week, depending on what I need and if I have to stock up on some staples like PB. I know families who easily spend $300/week with two kids but they buy ALL organic . . . which to each their own, but I don't . . . and they aren't smart about what they buy, either. I know that sounds mean but hear me out: so I meal plan . . . I buy things that will span across multiple meals to make sure I get the most out of something. Also, as a person eating for one most foods come in bulk packages with enough for multiple meals or people. I need to make the most out of what I buy, especially since I don't buy anything with a very long shelf life - except PB.

I have a family member who, every grocery shop, buys chicken breasts, and thighs, and a roast, and steak, and ground beef because they don't want to eat the same thing every day and they HAVE to have meat at every meal. That's cool - like I said, to each their own, but that's going to add up. There's no way around that. I read somewhere that within the next 5 - 10 years, North Americans - on average - are going to be almost doubling what they spend just to eat because of inflation of food prices. I don't know if this is true, or even realistic, but eating isn't cheap and it's a lot of effort sometimes to make sure you're eating well and within your means.

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Wow! I'm in the UK and our household grocery bill is approximately £440 a month, (about $568 US) and that includes toiletries, cleaning products, nappies/diapers and baby formula. There's two adults and 5 children.

I think it has more to do with what people here view as "healthy food". If you are mainly eating trucked-in fresh produce (and add more $$ for any 'organic' stickers) and only the leanest cuts of meat, then it is indeed expensive.

Beef and fish have gone up in price quite a bit in the last few years though. I tend to buy ground turkey almost exclusively now because I usually refuse to pay the beef prices. And fish that isn't from China/Vietnam is ridiculously expensive. Chicken is still cheap though (unless you insist on only eating boneless, skinless chicken breasts).

I'm in the GTA and Farmer's Markets here are things that rich people do with expensive coffees on Saturday morning. It's actually MORE expensive for me to buy from markets.
  • acorsaut89
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You're not alone, we spend about 1,100 a month for the two of us including household items. It makes me a little uncomfortable just because I know we could still eat well for a fraction of that. We live simply in other areas though so I imagine it balances out.

I love this!

I don't have cable - I stream a lot of my shows, I work from home most of the time, I budget gas money, I don't eat out very often, I don't drink, I make everything at home that I can to save money, and I try to live within my means.

I have prioritized a few things:
    - I will buy new gym clothes before dressy clothes (since I work at home, no problem :))
    - I buy new running shoes before any other kind of shoe
    - I still go for massages even when my benefits run out because it keeps me balanced and it's healthy for me
    - I always meal plan and make sure I have money for the food my body needs, before the extras
    - I don't go out to girl's nights anymore because I just don't have the extra money
    - I use the library to read books that I am unsure if I will like; but still buy books I know I'll want to keep for a long time

I love that you know excess in one area sometimes means giving up things in another area. So many people aren't willing to make that sacrifice. I know some are, but you can't have everything you want in life and sometimes we have to prioritize to figure out what we want the most and make sure it happens.

And the reason I noticed this is because lately when my friends have been going out - which they enjoy doing - I have said no, I won't be able to come. Part of it is money: I don't drink alcohol so why am I going to a bar, paying cover and hating every minute I'm there? and part of it is because I want to be in bed by 10pm when they're just getting in line to wait to get into a crowded bar. It's not my definition of fun; I'd much rather be reading and spending a quiet night at home. It's who I am and I've had to drop a couple friendships because of it, unfortunately.
  • acorsaut89
    edited July 2017
    Options

I'm in the GTA and Farmer's Markets here are things that rich people do with expensive coffees on Saturday morning. It's actually MORE expensive for me to buy from markets.

We have some of those here, too. I live in London. However we have a true farmer's market basically on the outskirts called Trails End (you might have heard of it being so close to London) and it's SUPER cheap when the crops start to come in. Unfortunately it's usually only around - well the produce side - during the summer. The other part - which is all butchers and cheese and such - is open all year round. I'm not sure if it's reasonable . . . people have said it is, but I haven't shopped there. I just go for the produce in the summer.

We also have "artisan" farmers markets where it's ridiculously expensive for anything . . . I avoid those.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if part of the problem is that you're buying lower fat cuts of meat. It is great for weight loss, but your boyfriend would benefit from 80/20 or 85/15 lean meat since they tend to be higher in calories...not beneficial for you though.

Choose more plant based proteins like beans, lentils, and tofu. They also provide decent amounts of carbs, which is important if you're both active and don't have health issues. You can also buy nuts and seeds in bulk, and make your own butters. Easy calories for your boyfriend, and also easy to portion control. Check out farmer markets if they're nearby.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

We have some of those here, too. I live in London. However we have a true farmer's market basically on the outskirts called Trails End (you might have heard of it being so close to London) and it's SUPER cheap when the crops start to come in. Unfortunately it's usually only around - well the produce side - during the summer. The other part - which is all butchers and cheese and such - is open all year round. I'm not sure if it's reasonable . . . people have said it is, but I haven't shopped there. I just go for the produce in the summer.

We also have "artisan" farmers markets where it's ridiculously expensive for anything . . . I avoid those.

I live in Newmarket which is right next to Canal Rd (if you've ever gone up the 400 you've seen the rich soil and abundance of farming) Even shopping Canal Rd markets they tend to gouge. I found one in Georgina that is reasonable but so far for me to now drive to for a small difference. I think I'm going to start operating on the cash system and just budget 200/week for groceries. I also don't have cable or a home phone, our other expenses are pretty trimmed down so it's not like I CANT afford to spend on food but I was more just shocked at how much it actually cost us to eat! It's more than we pay in rent lol
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I think our moist toilet wipes and coconut water have to go lol I suppose it's not that bad but damn, I never really added it all up before! I thought I was spending 130-150/week which clearly I am not lol

This is exactly why I use the cash envelope system. Every 2 weeks, I take out a specific amount for groceries, entertainment, etc., and when it's gone it's gone. When I am blindly swiping my cards, I have no idea how much I am spending and I just blow through everything!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Definitely make use of the weekly store circular, store loyalty cards, store coupons, and any discounts you are eligible for. We often get as much as $10 off our weekly groceries this way.

(And, if you are a geezer, like me, do your shopping on senior discount day if possible. We go to a store that takes 5% off the top for seniors on Wednesdays.)

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    nyponbell wrote: »
    :o

No wonder people are saying it is so expensive to eat healthy food in the US!

I keep a budget speadsheet but I put food, going out and household items in different categories, to get a more accurate picture of what I spend on food (I also have a category for my unhealthy buys, like chips and chocolate so that I can't hide it amongst the food expenses and pretend it's not a problem). Also you can't buy alcohol over a certain % in stores here (and it is a low %) and I don't drink right now due to medication so that saves me a lot.

My family of 5 eats very healthy on $100 a week, which includes non food items as well. Just depends on location, resources available and then what people are chosing to buy. Just like any other country.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    Definitely make use of the weekly store circular, store loyalty cards, store coupons, and any discounts you are eligible for. We often get as much as $10 off our weekly groceries this way.

(And, if you are a geezer, like me, do your shopping on senior discount day if possible. We go to a store that takes 5% off the top for seniors on Wednesdays.)

hahah I'm not yet qualified for senior's discount but I literally will not buy certain things unless they're on sale (toilet paper, dish soaps, paper towels) and I have an app for my phone that I can search the local flyers for sales and then virtually clip coupons and I only shop at stores that will price match for that reason. I thought I was doing so well but apparently it's just expensive to eat with a bulking bf!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Vancouver Canada - three adults and a small dog - spend about $450 bi-weekly on everything, including toiletries, cleaning products and dog food.... Red meat is getting ridiculously expensive for some weird reason. Mostly packs prepped lunches & breakfasts for two of us - kiddo works at a restaurant and gets a free lunch.
  • ritzvin
    Options

I wasn't actually referring to those - I meant buying things like carrots, beets, green beans, squash, etc (from the normal grocery store) that are grown in your region instead of stuff that can't be grown remotely near your region.
  • inertiastrength
    Options

I wasn't actually referring to those - I meant buying things like carrots, beets, green beans, squash, etc (from the normal grocery store) that are grown in your region instead of stuff that can't be grown remotely near your region.

Gotcha! For the same reason we tend to pay more for that (in certain cases). I can buy strawberries from god-knows-where for 1.99/lb if I want Ontario strawberries during the growing season it's more like 4.99/lb (which I wouldn't dare) I haven't noticed a difference between locally sourced and non in the grocery store in anything other than strawberries, and as you can see it's not in my favour haha. I think because Ontario's growing season is so short and people tend to want to support local, the price difference is non-existent. Idk what to tell you lol
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    We easily spend this much for 2 adults and 2 kids (and a cat), including household supplies. It sucks, but that's what it is.