Hate vegetables

Options
I'm trying really hard to find recipes that are healthy. But I HATE vegetables. Every. Single. One. They are the nastiest thing ever to me. I hate the flavor and even more the texture. I tried choking down some asparagus but I couldn't do it. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    One way to get started if you're trying to lose weight, is take a multi vitamin and simply focus on calories to get the hang of weight loss. Then, as the weight starts to come off, you can experiment with recipes to include veggies. "Healthy eating" alone will not result in weight loss, only a calorie deficit will. Most of us here on MFP achieve that by weighing our food portions on a digital food scale and staying within the calorie allotment MFP gave us for our weight loss goals.

Some of my favorite ways to eat vegetables without noticing is to put spinach into a smoothie with strawberries and bananas and yogurt. It tastes very fruity. Another way I do it (and this is gross, but effective), is chug a super cold low-sodium V8. It's low calorie and gets the veggies in.

Theoretically, you could lose all the weight you need to lose without touching a single vegetable. Might be quite the experiment.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is an acquired taste. Lots of folks who love vegetables hate asparagus. As veggies go, asparagus is strong tasting, has a funky smell, and gets slimy at the least bit of overcooking. I love it; hubby hates it.

Different vegetables prepared different ways have very different tastes and textures. There's an almost infinite variety of vegetables and ways to prepare them. You have every right to like some and dislike others. It sounds like you need to find the ones you would like.

First is to get over the idea that you hate "Every. Single." vegetable. That idea in your head could be preventing you from enjoying some of them. I am an old fart who believes no good music happened after about 1975 -- and even then disco was in the process of destroying music. Hubby keeps making me listen to current things he says are good but I just don't like Any. Current. Music. I'm perfectly happy with my belief but, unlike hating vegetables, limited musical taste does not cause health issues.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I hate most green vegetables, too. I like corn, potatoes, peas and edamame - the vegetables that people decry as starches.

For a long time trying to eat vegetables would actually trigger a gag reflex for me. I started trying them without actually swallowing them. Took a bite, chewed it, tasted it, spit it into a napkin. Obviously I only did this in private. I still don't like most of them, but I can eat most of them in public now without a physical reaction (except onions) which has massively reduced my stress level when eating socially. I can also tolerate many vegetables mixed with other foods now (by themselves I still this they taste terrible).

I still don't eat anywhere close to my daily recommendations, but I bought Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook on how to hide them in food for kids and when I have time for the prep I'll make some of those recipes.

Sorry I don't have a quick fix for you.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Had another thought - Zucchini makes a pretty decent pasta substitute. I sliced 3 zucchini into long strips and used it in place of lasagna noodles. Zucchini flavor is pretty mild and the other flavors in lasagna are strong so that was a winner for me.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Honestly I found alot of my trouble with vegetables was not knowing how to prepare them. I bought some sugar pea pods the other day that were amazing. I ended up adding them to a stir fry. Try spiralizing carrots and zuchinni as pasta substitutes or try roasting root veggies. To roast add a tiny bit of olive oil and salt, pepper and thyme. If you like onions throw one in and it adds flavor. I always use a little bit of butter on my steamed veggies with salt and pepper. If you steam then return them to the pot with a teaspoon of butter per serving with some salt and pepper and saute them for a minute or two it makes a world of difference. The butter adds 35 calories and for me it is worth every calorie. You can add a tablespoon of light cheese whiz to steamed broccoli and that makes it much more palatable. You have to experiment. I've started using shredded cabbage on my tacos instead of lettuce. Very filling and super low cal. Some of these suggestions add calories but it is the best way to get them in. I find the more veggies I eat the less hungry I am.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Some of us recently did a challenge wherein we ate 800g (10 servings) of fruit and veg a day...not a challenge for me, because I love a wide variety of veg, but I mention it here because one thing I didn't realize is that 1 tablespoon of tomato paste/sauce counts as a serving, which makes sense if you think about it, as it is tomatoes greatly distilled down, yet retaining all the micronutrients that tomatoes are known for.

So, if you like pasta or lasagna, try to increase the amount of marinara you are using, and that will increase your exposure to at least one vegetable. And of course there are additional tricks like increasing the amount of garlic or onions or herbs (or even summer squash or zucchini) in the sauce and pureeing it so it is all masked together in an inoffensive sauce.

Another good puree is something like Julia Child's potato-leek soup, or a squash soup. Vegetables don't have to be whole to get the nutritional benefit from them.

At the end of the day, if you want the health benefit of vegetables, you just need to pull on your big kid pants and figure out what is tolerable. I remember reading advice on getting kids to eat veg, and they say normally after tasting something [x] amount of times, it becomes familiar and tolerable to the palate. So maybe figure out what is least objectionable and work on incorporating that into your diet, then move onto another challenge until you have a handful that are acceptable.

I particularly love root veg that are roasted with oil and garlic, but as noted above, I love veg regardless.
  • mallycat1013
    mallycat1013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been trying for several years different veggies and preparing them differently. I'm having a hard time finding anything I like. Zuccini noodles will be my next attempt. It so frustrating that I can't find anything I like. I feel like the only person in the world that can't handle them.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I think asparagus is kind of a "hard core" veggie to like if you're not a veggie person. If it's not cooked properly, it can be gross even for a veggie lover, so I'd avoid it.

When I was a kid, I only liked peas if they were in vegetable soup! Now I love them all. Tastes change.

That said, if it is texture that you object to, are you talking cooked or raw?
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    How about raw and crunchy and dipped in stuff? Baby carrots with peanut butter is a favorite of mine, or fat free ranch dressing. Cucumbers? Tomatoes? Do you eat pasta with tomato sauce? Try adding zucchini or broccoli chopped small and cooked in the sauce. I used to hate cabbage and Brussels sprouts, but I like them roasted or sautéed. Asparagus, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, any of the cabbage-family really, are strong veggies. Raw tends to be more palatable than cooked. Salads? Cole slaw?

When my son was little, I made a LOT of carrot cake and zucchini bread - double the veggies - and he loved that, though he wouldn't touch the vegetables plain. Or vegetable fritters, like zucchini/apple. Then again, to this day - he's 22 and thin as can be - he doesn't care for anything but junk food. I'm pretty sure he doesn't eat veggies still.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My brother hated them too (at first) He was a meat and potatoes kinda guy but as he became leaner his tastes changed. I found the same. I really didn't care for certain vegetables which I now love. I wouldn't worry too much at first and maybe start with lead-in veggies like the sweeter ones... sweet peas, sauteed peppers and onion, cooked carrots and hey - if you never love a veggie it really doesn't matter for weight loss. I just find it easier to keep a deficit with more volume so it works for me but it's absolutely not a necessity.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    First of all, you don't have to eat things you don't like. Try a few different vegetables and ways to prepare them, but if they're just awful to you no matter what, then find something you do like.

I firmly believe that all vegetables should be roasted if possible, especially if you don't think you like them. Of course, this doesn't apply to vegetables that are clearly too delicate to handle high temperatures, but you can roast most things and it changes the flavor dramatically. Cruciferous vegetables--broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts--are especially great candidates for roasting. It takes away much of the bitterness that some people taste with these vegetables. Yes, roasting does require a fair amount of oil, but if that fits into your macros, then go for it. I usually just add salt and pepper, but you can add other seasonings as well.

Soup is also a wonderful option. Throw some peas, carrots, etc. in a soup and let it simmer. They'll take on the flavors of the rest of the soup. The vegetables don't have to be the focus of the soup.

Sauces and dressings are your friend. You don't have to eat your veggies plain. Put a sauce you like on 'em.

Some vegetables work in sweet dishes as well as savory. Sweet potatoes are the obvious choice here, but you can also make maple brown sugar carrots. Many salads include fruit and/or a sweet dressing; spinach is a popular choice with strawberries or oranges, but I also make a kale salad with apples, dried berries, and candied walnuts. I even came across a recipe for corn ice cream, though I haven't tried that yet.

Then there are veggies that just don't get as much love as I think they should. Eggplant, for example. You can roast it, grill it, bread it, put it in a stir fry, make baba ghannouj out of it.

Finally, one option that doesn't get mentioned as often: pickling. It's not just for cucumbers, and you don't have to spend all day with a bunch of glass jars. You can make quick pickles in your refrigerator with very simple ingredients. Pickles can be made out of just about any vegetable and can be sweet or savory. Basically, you cut up the veggies you want to pickle, mix up a brine, pour brine over veggies, and leave it in the fridge for a day or two.
  • mallycat1013
    mallycat1013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Cooked or raw it's still not good. Ive prepared them diffrent ways and still cant handle it. I'm trying to keep my calories down and heat healthy but there's not very many meals that can do that. I'm getting sick of eating the same things all the time. Like if I eat chicken breast for dinner with rice. That just doesnt seem healthy or filling enough.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Cooked or raw it's still not good. Ive prepared them diffrent ways and still cant handle it. I'm trying to keep my calories down and heat healthy but there's not very many meals that can do that. I'm getting sick of eating the same things all the time. Like if I eat chicken breast for dinner with rice. That just doesnt seem healthy or filling enough.

There's no way you've tried all vegetables and all possible preparations of them. I understand it may *feel* like you have, but I bet you haven't.

Chicken breast and rice isn't enough to keep you healthy, your instincts are right. Vegetables are eaten just about everywhere on earth because they contain things that we basically need to stay healthy.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    What about tomato sauce? Do you like that? You can add many things into a tomato sauce (I use fresh tomatoes and blend them in the blender) and put half of that in the sauce pan and then add things like fresh parsley, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, summer squash and blend that all up and mix it into the sauce. The flavors blend beautifully and when they are cooked on low heat for a few hours it makes an amazing sauce. (It also makes a great smoothie).

Do you like chips and salsa? Salsa is just some of the veggies above mixed in a food processor rather than the blender... Again, the same principle - just add a little fresh carrot or cucumber to the recipe to start.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    risotto with sauted vegetables is a favorite of mine - right now the one has carrots/celery/onion and corn; as well as cheese
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    from a psychological standpoint - did you have a bad experience with veggies as a kid? or something that would cause a negative mental association?
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

The more specific you can be, the more helpful recommendations you are going to get. For example, I and several other people have asked you about tomato sauce--if you are eating it, that is a fabulous place to start. If you specifically rule it out, we can quit recommending it. Even providing a scale of less disgusting to more disgusting will get you better-tailored advice.

Also, if you don't like veg, why wouldn't you be eating a big pile of fruit with your chicken and rice? Fruit, although somewhat higher calorie, is going to have the same kinds of micronutrients and fiber that makes veggies so important in your diet. If you are eating a large amount and wide variety of fruit (and whole grains or beans), then you are still getting a very decent, healthful diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What have you actually tried? Like others said, they all taste different and have quite different textures, which vary depending on how they are cooked.

Do you eat them in stir fries, pasta, curries, soups, or stews ever?

What about in preparations involving cheese or bacon or creamy smooth soups?

Have you tried roasting them? Do you have a few things you like like, say, potatoes or carrots? If so, other root veg are often an easier step.

I really love vegetables, but learning to cook them properly and expanding my horizons was how I went from "they are okay, but boring" to "I love them."