Tell me about your HIIT class

Options
LotusCass
LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I did my first HIIT class today and it wasn't what I expected. I heard it was a really tough class, obviously with high intensity activities (as the name suggests). Today's class was more of a circuit class with 40 secs on and 10 off, a mix of weights and core but not much high intensity cardio. I wouldn't imagine I would have burned anywhere near 500 calories as so many websites indicate you can with a HIIT class. I've done lots of circuit classes and it was pretty much the same as those. What have your HIIT classes been like?

Replies

• kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    I take two/week from different instructors. One is more pure HIIT, all cardio, no equipment, the intervals vary. It's a 45 min class and I frequently go over 300 calories. The other one is similar to what you described, except the cardio and strength are pretty equal. It's an hour and I range from 300-400 calories. I prefer this second one because I enjoy playing with all the equipment and doing strength training as well as cardio.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Any activity that you can do for 30 mins or more is not HIIT, but interval training.
    Labels don't matter though. Keep pushing yourself as hard as you can and have fun.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yesterday for example my workout went like this:
    .2 run at 2% incline
    20 x ups
    10 kettle bell rows
    .2 run 4% incline
    20 x ups
    10 kb rows
    .2 run at 6% incline
    20 x ups
    10 kb rows
    .2 run at 8% incline
    20 x ups
    10 KB rows
    .10 run sprint on flat
    20 x ups
    10 kb rows
    Repeat (as time allows)

Switch to floor work:
    I can't remember the whole workout but planks, lots of TRX work and kettlebell work, squat jumps etc.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    HIIT is not interval training

HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training

8-10 cycles
    10-30 seconds work at or near max capacity
    20-60 seconds active rest/recovery

If you can sustain in for more than 10-20 minutes or 8-10 cycles it's NOT HIIT.

Rows, x ups, etc aren't HIIT

Running, rowing, biking, elliptical trainer can be HIIT.

Burpees, KB swings/snatch/cleans can be HIIT.

In some rare cases x reps EMOM can be HIIT... but usually not.
  • Alisonswim46
    Options

8-10 cycles

Never said rows and x uos we're HIIT. Intervals? Yes.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

8-10 cycles

Heavy DB rows for 12-20 reps can most definitely get my HR near max. That would make it HIIT
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »

8-10 cycles

Never said rows and x uos we're HIIT. Intervals? Yes.

Since the question was "tell me about your HIIT Class" you kind of did.

• stanmann571
    Options

8-10 cycles

Heavy DB rows for 12-20 reps can most definitely get my HR near max. That would make it HIIT

If it's heavy, you're not doing 20 in 30 seconds. Since Heavy is defined generally as 80% or more of max.

• Rammer123
    Options

8-10 cycles

If it's heavy, you're not doing 20 in 30 seconds. Since Heavy is defined generally as 80% or more of max.

30 seconds isn't some magical limit to what HIIT can be.

All the parameters you continually put up about HIIT are not true and are based off what you can handle.

Different people can sustain different levels of intensity. Just because you can't hold 90% of your max for more than 30 seconds doesn't mean someone else cant. And just because you need 60 seconds to recover, doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Just because you can't do DB rows heavy enough to get your heart rate up to near maximal, doesn't mean someone else cant.
  • stanmann571
    edited July 2017
    Options

8-10 cycles

All the parameters you continually put up about HIIT are not true and are based off what you can handle.

Different people can sustain different levels of intensity. Just because you can't hold 90% of your max for more than 30 seconds doesn't mean someone else cant. And just because you need 60 seconds to recover, doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Just because you can't do DB rows heavy enough to get your heart rate up to near maximal, doesn't mean someone else cant.

NO, They're the definition of HIIT as used in scientific studies.

Just because you don't like the definition doesn't mean you're right.

Words have meanings. Exact ones usually.

Further, if you think you're doing 90% of your max for more than 30 seconds, you've most likely miscalculated your max effort... OR you've miscalculated 90%
  • Rammer123
    Options

8-10 cycles

Further, if you think you're doing 90% of your max for more than 30 seconds, you've most likely miscalculated your max effort... OR you've miscalculated 90%

I've done multiple metabolic assessments and I can hold 90% of my MHR for 30 seconds.

https://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy-living-article/60/104/what-is-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit/
    http://blog.nasm.org/sports-performance/hiit-hvit-viit-know-differences/
    https://www.issaonline.edu/blog/index.cfm/2016/is-high-intensity-interval-training-for-everyone#

All of which sound nothing like your definition of HIIT
  • stanmann571
    Options

8-10 cycles

I've done multiple metabolic assessments and I can hold 90% of my MHR for 30 seconds.

https://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy-living-article/60/104/what-is-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit/
    http://blog.nasm.org/sports-performance/hiit-hvit-viit-know-differences/
    https://www.issaonline.edu/blog/index.cfm/2016/is-high-intensity-interval-training-for-everyone#

All of which sound nothing like your definition of HIIT

Blogs aren't scientific studies. Just so you know.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    LotusCass wrote: »
    I did my first HIIT class today and it wasn't what I expected. I heard it was a really tough class, obviously with high intensity activities (as the name suggests). Today's class was more of a circuit class with 40 secs on and 10 off, a mix of weights and core but not much high intensity cardio. I wouldn't imagine I would have burned anywhere near 500 calories as so many websites indicate you can with a HIIT class. I've done lots of circuit classes and it was pretty much the same as those. What have your HIIT classes been like?

Your "HIIT" class is just being marketed as HIIT...it's pretty trendy at the moment and basically anything that involves interval work is being called HIIT.
  • kmaf2018
    kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My HIIT to me is when I cant run up the stairmaster on level 15 for longer than 10-15secs without then desperately pressing the down button to come down some levels and thinking why do my heart and lungs feel like they are not attached to my body! Haha! And REPEAT!

• Alisonswim46
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Your "HIIT" class is just being marketed as HIIT...it's pretty trendy at the moment and basically anything that involves interval work is being called HIIT.

See also: Tabata
    Tabata is actually quite difficult and amazing!

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like puking at the end of the session it isn't HIIT enough to be called HIIT
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    That being said... that is an individual choice... my rugby warm up started with wind sprints for the first 20 minutes by the end... 3/4 of the team were in dire straits.. the other 1/4 didn't push hard enough or were standing on the sidelines. To truly engage in HIIT you have to want to push yourself to the edge of your performance. I don't advise anyone to engage in HIIT without consulting with your doctor first... most posters ate correct when they suggest that most classes are a form of interval training circuit training or tabata... only competitive athletes should engage in HIIT and only under strict supervision of a conditioning coach... certainly any person can undertake HIIT but they should be in excellent physical condition beforehand. It isn't a casual weekend warrior endeavour. It is a means to an end and that end is usually to build monster performance goals... such as playing rugby... soccer... or other high endurance sports... if you have a personal goal of achieving a sub 5 minute mile... or maybe running a triathlon HIIT will help achieve those goals... otherwise regular circuit training or tabata will keep you fit enough
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    So I guess if you had gone full on 100% on this it would have been very hard to go past the 30 mins. I say I would have been a 8-9 on Kelly's rating above on most, but when I was reaching exhaustion I'd slow down on the next activity. I guess those of us who aren't competitive athletes or less fit than some wouldn't push to the limits even in a true HIIT class. My main question I guess (which I didn't ask properly) was is HIIT typically more cardio than strength or is that not really a defining factor? What defines a HIIT class in terms of the activities. Every individual would push themselves to a different point though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So I guess if you had gone full on 100% on this it would have been very hard to go past the 30 mins. I say I would have been a 8-9 on Kelly's rating above on most, but when I was reaching exhaustion I'd slow down on the next activity. I guess those of us who aren't competitive athletes or less fit than some wouldn't push to the limits even in a true HIIT class. My main question I guess (which I didn't ask properly) was is HIIT typically more cardio than strength or is that not really a defining factor? What defines a HIIT class in terms of the activities. Every individual would push themselves to a different point though.

HIIT was developed to improve the cardiovascular capacity of elite athletes who's cardiovascular capacity was already pretty much peaked out. HIIT is primarily a cardiovascular workout.
  • Alisonswim46
    Options
    Who gives a *kitten* what people are doing or not doing in their workouts. Most of us are not elite athletes but I'm guessing most of us want to improve our lives and if we follow the prescribed definition of HIIT or not, we are still moving our bodies to the best of our ability!