Best sport watch for running?

Options
quilteryoyo
quilteryoyo Posts: 6,004 Member
I know this question probably gets asked all of the time. I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 210 for about 9 years and it has finally kicked the bucket. So, I am in the market for something new. I want something with GPS so I can track my mileage when I run/walk. I also want a HRM and something that will give me a decently accurate estimate of calories burned. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with the Garmin 235. I have owned a few GPS watches in the past, but got the 235 for Christmas last year. It is fantastic! Has all the features you are looking for, is slim, and has MANY apps and clock faces that can be downloaded free from the app store.
    I would challenge you to find a better running watch.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The 210 was midrange, so the current equivalent would be the 230/ 235. Both are good.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Like the previous posters stated, you'll be best to stick to the Garmin line of products. I'm a well rounded fitness enthusiast so the Garmin Vivofit, UA Band, and Withings/Nokia Pulse Ox are all in my arsenal of gadgets ; )
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin forerunner 225, love It!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i have the garmin forerunner 230. i don't trust or like the optical heart rate sensors so i use a garmin chest strap that pairs with the watch.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yep stick with Garmin. I used a Forerunner 205 for years. I recently got a Forerunner 25 which is pretty basic, but it fits my needs. I'll probably upgrade eventually, but for now I'm more than happy with it.

The 205 was a bit of a house-brick though.

6ua73srlkror.jpeg
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    i have the garmin forerunner 230. i don't trust or like the optical heart rate sensors so i use a garmin chest strap that pairs with the watch.

I have vivoactive active hr and don't trust the senor at all when exercising. It is especially bad when doing intervals. it seams to be okay for resting. I use a chest strap for running.

Other than the hr sensor, i really like the watch overall.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    As a warning, I had a garmin forerunner, I don't remember which model, but it was useless on a treadmill. That pissed me off. My Apple Watch seems pretty accurate.

You need a dongle if you're using a forerunner on a treadmill.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I have found that the calories are pretty close to the weight x 0.63 x distance calculation using the optical HRM
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

I have found that the calories are pretty close to the weight x 0.63 x distance calculation using the optical HRM

yeah, for me the battery life of my watch is also really important. i can go 10-ish days on one charge because i don't have an optical HRM consistently on. Not to mention the fact that i've used my boyfriends watch (fenix 3 HR saphire) and they lose connection anytime i get really sweaty/wet. I also have a nickel allergy, and i've seen many people have problems with these optical HR sensors on the fitbit and others causing a "rash", which i believe to be from contact dermatitis to an allergy.

In any case, it's just so much easier for me to wear my watch to track my normal daily activity and then pop on the strap anytime i need the specific calories for an exercise (for example, i do rebounding).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I have the FR15, which has been replaced by the 25, I think. It is a good basic GPS watch, with a HR strap and enough memory to run a marathon. I don't need a programmable watch and the 15 is wearable as a daily watch, which some are not.

DCRainmaker is a great site for figuring out which bells and whistles are included in each model. If you don't use your watch for swimming or biking, you can use a more basic model.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,004 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! It was very helpful.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As a warning, I had a garmin forerunner, I don't remember which model, but it was useless on a treadmill. That pissed me off. My Apple Watch seems pretty accurate.

My 920 (with the foot pod) gives me virtually identical results outside or on the dreadmill.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have owned about 6 different Garmins and the new 935 is leagues ahead in terms of accuracy and stability. It just does everything you could need and then some.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

My 735XT is pretty much dead on with a dreadmill, that said it's one of their top end devices. Entry level can't be expected to deal well with that situation.