Weight Loss & Somatotype?

Options
I've seen a few things regarding how different body types (Ectomorph, Endomorph and Mesomorph) require different exercise/nutrition protocol. This video explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNye97uAMAU&t=487s

I was wondering if any of you have had issues losing weight in the past but had success after switching to a exercise/nutrition regime better suited to your body type (whether you knew it at the time or not)?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to the debate!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you research where somatypes originated from you will realise that they are completely unconnected and unrelated to exercise and nutrition.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Somatotypes have a pretty disgusting beginning.

Yes, body shape varies from individual to individual and some shapes/builds make certain activities/exercises easier or more difficult than others but it doesn't mean a person has to eat or exercise one specific way.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    This is not a scientifically valid concept. Your "body type" doesn't relate to the best way for you to lose weight.

^That.

Invented in 1940 by a psychologist who put photos of students into three piles by how they made him feel and the diet industry just took it and ran with it.

I never knew where it came from. Wow, it's even sillier than I thought . . .
  • motivatekait
    motivatekait Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yikes!! I guess this is good to know, I was worried I was going to have to lower my carbs haha because according to that, I should be eating a lot less carbs and doing a heck more cardio :P
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have masochistic tendencies- I watched.
    How did she manage to say all that without giggling.

Cheers, h.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    This is not a scientifically valid concept. Your "body type" doesn't relate to the best way for you to lose weight.

^That.

Invented in 1940 by a psychologist who put photos of students into three piles by how they made him feel and the diet industry just took it and ran with it.

I never knew where it came from. Wow, it's even sillier than I thought . . .

I'm still curious as to who and when people started putting it into diet and exercise, I couldn't find anything about that.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I scrolled to her little bullet points for each. It reminded me of a horoscope.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yaaaasss - lets use celebrity examples who are clearly surgically "morphed". Puh-lease.

*Not to you OP
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    In re: to strength training: "With enough variation to add shape but make sure you do not bulk." LMAO.

OHHH... so its too much variation in my strength training as to why my biceps are still in infancy stage and nothing to do with my calorie intake. What a smart food scientist.