Slowly losing motivation

Options
I am 30 lbs in to my weight loss journey and would like to get down another 10+ by year end. But the last 6 weeks I have been losing motivation across the board- calorie counting, eating well, and exercising.

Any ideas to reignite my motivation?

32F, 5'10, 160

Replies

• cmufireupchip
    cmufireupchip Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Losing 30 pounds is quite impressive, congrats! Sometimes people hit plateaus that no matter how much exercise and calorie cutting you do you just won't move the dial. I'd take a week off and just be active, do some foam rolling, or anything that rejuvenates your body, and let your body rest a bit. They say sleeping plays a big part as well, so maybe your sleep habits are off. If you push yourself to much through exercise and calorie cut during a plateau, you're probably setting yourself up for injury.

Good luck.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of taking a maintenance break. That way, you can step away from it for awhile, but you don't undo your progress. B)
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I've lost 24 pounds but I've been so not disciplined for the past few weeks. It's a hard time of the year with vacations and cookouts, etc. Summer is hard. I think going on maintenance for a while is a great idea. In fact, I might do that myself until I get through July.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I also look for something new and exciting to try. It isn't the motivation as much as getting bored. I like trying new exercises or activities or finding new recipes. In the summer there are tons of trails to hike and farmers' markets with new foods to try. Find something that excites you.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're at a healthy weight.

You might want to take a break and eat at maintenance for a while. Take a break from logging as well because you're having some motivation concerns.

Keep tracking your weight to make sure you're actually maintaining. After a while, you can decide how/if you want to cut some more. If you decide you're happy where you are enjoy it. If not, you'll be rejuvenated and ready to start again.

Congratulations and all the best.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss so far. By the time you've lost 30 lb, you've figured out how to eat and exercise. Just keep doing what you know to do and eventually you'll find those last 10 lb have left you.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    Start over like day one. You had reasons to start, maybe one was like me, back pain. But after I lost about 25 lbs, my back didn't hurt. I still had a long way to go.

Why do you want this last 10?

Redo all your numbers. Are there uncounted calories slipping in? Any way you cut it, losing needs a calorie deficit.

Forget motivation. It's fleeting, as you are finding out. Summon some determination. Determination sees a project through to the end.
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I keep a list of all the reasons I want to lose weight, great and small. Maybe create a list. Or if you already have one, revisit it and update your motivations. They might have changed 30 lbs in. Congrats on your success so far!
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    vk6w1gj8hf37.png

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    That last ten is killer. I've been trying forevwr to lose it. I gave up counting calories and just tracking workouts. Chances are you know now what to eat perhaps you need a break from see food as numbers as I did. I've been going hard at the workouts and I'm seeing a difference which has reinvigorated my motivation.
  • OnthatStuff
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I got nothin'.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You're already at a healthy weight for your height. It's very hard to create even a 250 cal deficit.. take a break, start strength training, and reevaluate if you really need to lose another 10. Congrats on your success.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone and in the same boat. Go on maintenance for a while. Enjoy the summer, work out, eat sensibly and try again in the early fall before the holidays start. It's not a race, so you could use the time to learn how to maintain. Stay strong!
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think weight loss, like anything else, moves in cycles, or waves. You'll have times when you're on fire for it and times when it's cold. Do what everyone else has already said, maintain your progress so far and don't try to force yourself to be motivated. It'll kick in on its own eventually. In the mean time take up something you've always wanted to try but never have.
  • nancy11diamond
    nancy11diamond Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    30 pounds is great progress! Don't beat yourself up!
  • grayblackmfp
    grayblackmfp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You don't want to rely on motivation because it waxes and wanes as other posters have said. Hopefully after dropping 30lbs, which is fantastic progress!, you have some good habits to carry you through either with maintenance or further weight loss. Try to focus on how well you have done.
  • OnthatStuff
    Options
    30 pounds is great progress! Don't beat yourself up!

Exactly! Shucks, let ME lose 30 lbs ... won't be able to tell me nothin'!
  • Schmitty_89
    Schmitty_89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Losing 30lbs of fat is not an easy feet. Be proud of how far you have made it and how much progress you are going to make an accept that you have had a setback. We beat ourselves up too hard with guilt. You may have fallen off the wagon, but jump right back on--today. Don't think about the number you want to lose, focus on "feeling" happy, healthy, and energized. Sometimes you need to sit down and think about why we are doing this in the first place. Why do you want to be healthy? Why are you feeling drained and uninspired? What can you do to get out of this rut? Self reflection and remembering your "goals" can set you back on the path. You may even need to change your approach. If you were being way too strict what is something you can do different this time around? Does counting calories really stress you out? Can instead you just portion your food with a smaller plate or bowl? Are you bored with exercise? Can you try something different like dancing or joining a fitness group?

Never give up. Accept that some days are better than others and move forward. It takes a lot of self dicipline to get to our goals. People can cheer us on but ultimately we have to rely on ourselves to make it happen. :)