What is most important...calories or macros?

Options
13»

Replies

• justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    @PAV8888 I don't have a fitbit anymore. It broke. Is there any website I can track my weight in daily?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    justjenny wrote: »
    @PAV8888 I don't have a fitbit anymore. It broke. Is there any website I can track my weight in daily?

If you still have your fitbit account (or want to just create one), www.trendweight.com is a good website to track weight. I use it linked to a Withings scale as I have a Garmin. It's the one @pav8888 linked to as well.
  • mlynnm727
    mlynnm727 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been a yo-yo dieter for years, decades probably. I've done darn near every diet, calorie counting included. And it wasn't until I starting watching my carbs, and paying attention to my macros, that I've actually been consistent with losing. I do still have to watch my calories, but it is ultimately my macros, and the lack of carbs, that is keeping me sane and successful! Good luck!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,729 Member
    Options
    @justjenny as @Tacklewasher mentioned all you need is the freely available (without a device) Fitbit.com account to link your weigh inputs to trendweight.com

Weightgrapher.com allows for manual entry. Set your "goal" "to maintain" to suppress useless commentary.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    When trying to lose weight is it more important to keep your calories low, or your macros? I just logged what I ate so far for the day, and my orange juice already put me over my sugar limit for the day. If I stay under my calories for the day, even if my macros are above the limits I set, will I still lose weight?

For me... losing weight is simply about keeping my calories under my maintenance level.

But, in order for me to manage my calorie levels successfully, I found it imperative to monitor the amount of fiber I get each day and to ensure a minimum of 30 grams protein per meal. I completely ignore fat grams and carbs, as I find they just work themselves out when I maintain the others.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    fbchick51 wrote: »
    When trying to lose weight is it more important to keep your calories low, or your macros? I just logged what I ate so far for the day, and my orange juice already put me over my sugar limit for the day. If I stay under my calories for the day, even if my macros are above the limits I set, will I still lose weight?

For me... losing weight is simply about keeping my calories under my maintenance level.

But, in order for me to manage my calorie levels successfully, I found it imperative to monitor the amount of fiber I get each day and to ensure a minimum of 30 grams protein per meal. I completely ignore fat grams and carbs, as I find they just work themselves out when I maintain the others.

This is well said. While a calorie deficit will work for everyone, it seems pretty clear that many (if not all) who are successful at losing weight and maintaining the weight loss have identified the patterns of eating that personally help them feel full and satisfied. Since these can vary by person (I need a higher level of fat to feel good, other people are perfectly happy on a lower fat diet), it may require some observation to get it right. Some people do this through more organized plans (like keto/low carbohydrate), other people just make up their own guidelines.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    mlynnm727 wrote: »
    I've been a yo-yo dieter for years, decades probably. I've done darn near every diet, calorie counting included. And it wasn't until I starting watching my carbs, and paying attention to my macros, that I've actually been consistent with losing. I do still have to watch my calories, but it is ultimately my macros, and the lack of carbs, that is keeping me sane and successful! Good luck!

Hmmmm... Sounds like insulin resistance! :smile:

But according to some folks on here, there's no way you wont lose fat if you're in a deficit no matter what your macros are.

Wait, you can diagnose IR from that comment? That's pretty amazing.

Since I'm not a doctor and haven't followed around this person through their years of trying to lose weight, I can't say it's not IR. I can say, it's just as possible that this person is not satiated by carbs and was subconsciously more accurate and capable of eating at a deficit when they started keeping their carbs lower. <shrug>

Sorry I will rephrase "Sounds like it could have been insulin resistance"

And in response to your comment, I agree, that is very possible as well.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. It is all so confusing. Yes, the 1500 was set manually based on other ways I was trying to lose weight. Alas, nothing has worked. Something starts to work, I lose 2 or 3 pounds and then by the end of the week, I am right back where I started. :( I was always under the impression of eat less, move more...but that doesn't work anymore. I am beyond frustrated to say the least.

You've received some very helpful advice and you're on a good track. You need to reset your expectations about losing considering you don't have a great amount to lose, so set your deficit rate at .5 lbs/week.

As for the macros and custom nature of MFP you can make changes in the settings section on the meal breakdown and with specifics you want to track. My diary is open if you want to see how I'm setup - you're welcome to it.

I think of this more in terms of root behaviors that lead you to goals. The whole point to logging and tracking is to have data to look back on and think about "what did I do differently?". Analyse your behavior, identify those "bad" behaviors that don't lead you to success, and replace these with "good" behaviors that lead you to success.

As far as actually losing weight - there are so many variables at play it is often difficult to see through all the noise and identify actual reduction in body fat %. Water weight fluctuations, hormonal flucutations which compounds water weight, etc. This is why you need to develop a long term mindset and look at a month or longer as opposed to a week.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP it sounds like you were confused, and hopefully a little less confused after this thread. Regardless, I still recommend reading through the stickied Most Helpful Forum Posts at the top of each section, in particular, this is a great collection of posts on various topics over the years:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

Again, just to reiterate what others have said - weight loss comes from creating a sustained calorie deficit over time. Macro balance can help with satiety, energy, body composition, etc - but is just one component of achieving overall goals. Most people find that setting a reasonable goal in MFP (for you 0.5 lb/week is reasonable), logging accurately using a food scale, and focusing on a balance between foods that provide nutrition, satiety and enjoyment; as well as exercising for overall fitness - get them to or close to their goal.

Good luck.
  • justjenny
    Options
    @PAV8888 , I don't have a "fancy" scale. Just a plain old digital. I don't think these websites will work for that. Correct?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    @PAV8888 , I don't have a "fancy" scale. Just a plain old digital. I don't think these websites will work for that. Correct?

you don't need a fancy scale - you can manually enter your weight into the different apps
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I would recommend the app Happy Scale (for iOs) or Libra (for Android). Weigh yourself each morning, after bathroom and without clothes, for the most consistent conditions. Enter the weight each day, and the app will smooth out the overall trend to show what's really going on.
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    And finally.. carbs. Not the devil, but there certainly are better ones than others. If you're straight up eating capn crunch for all your carbs, you're just more likely to feel like utter crap.

This us the best thing I read today. Lol
  • PAV8888
    Options

weightgrapher.com takes direct manual input.
    Trendweight.com takes "manual" input by being connected to fitbit.com which accepts manual input of your weight either via the app or on the web.
    Happy scale iphone takes manual input and so does libra android both from your phone.
    I personally use trendweight via the fitbit.com integration which pushes weight data to both trendweight.com and mfp at the same time.
    I have weight announcements turned off on MFP unless I chose to make them ;-)
  • justjenny
    Options
    I started with weightgrapher.com and between yesterday and today I am already down a few ounces. I know it's not much, but it makes me happy. Once I see the results (however slight) I am more apt to stay on track. I have been logging all week. It's been a crazy busy, week, and I may have not made the best choices food wise on a couple of days, but I am working out every day and staying below my calorie count. I am also making sure I eat protein with every meal. Thank you all for all your advice! I am really finally learning how to stay on track! :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I started with weightgrapher.com and between yesterday and today I am already down a few ounces. I know it's not much, but it makes me happy. Once I see the results (however slight) I am more apt to stay on track. I have been logging all week. It's been a crazy busy, week, and I may have not made the best choices food wise on a couple of days, but I am working out every day and staying below my calorie count. I am also making sure I eat protein with every meal. Thank you all for all your advice! I am really finally learning how to stay on track! :)
    Just don't panic if it goes the other way on occasion. Between food and some beer, the scale was up 4 pounds yesterday morning for me. Back to normal today. There are all kinds of things that can make it go up or down in the short term. The important thing is a downward trend over time.
  • PAV8888
    Options

If you're using weightgrapher note that you can superimpose your previous 28 day (user adjustable) "period" so that you can see a visual comparison at the same times on your cycle (since 5lbs of water weight changes can easily overwhelm a slow weight loss).

Note the usual caveats of weighing:
    similar time of day
    similar conditions (clothes, location, scale setup, after using washroom, before eating, etc)
    Scales sometimes need prodding to show change and exhibit fake consistency otherwise (grab a weight to weigh yourself with, then weight without the weight to force a change)
    Water weight after a meal outside or novel or hard exercise..

There you go!