I'M SO HUNGRY DURING TOM

Options
I eat quite a lot of protein and yes I am eating a LOT of calories during this time, but I can not stop myself being hungry and it's not just a little hungry it is so hungry that I feel sick even after having dinner 2 hours ago. Any suggestions ????

Replies

• tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was thinking exactly this a few minutes ago!

BUMP
  • rdvincent
    rdvincent Posts: 52
    Options
    hows your water intake? sometimes it's not hunger but thirst.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am ravenous three to four days before my TOM. And yes there are definitely foods that I crave....chocolate is key. Wish I could come up with a solution too. I think if I keep the exercise strong it helps balance the rest of the cravings but other than that I just have to ride the wave of hunger:tongue:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have drunk 8 glasses of water today already.
  • CarolineT82
    Options
    I get like this too, usually the week before....but I just go with it, and try to make healthy choices rather than crisps and chocolate (not that it always works). Just try to up your exercise to balance it out x
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The 4-5 days before TOM I can't seem to get enough to eat, for those days I let myself go up to my maintenance calories. Next month I plan on trying green tea supplements during that time as they are suppose to suppress your appetite a little bit.
  • Ebharuadh
    Ebharuadh Posts: 5
    Options
    I think it is a common dilemma us women face :grumble: . The week before I find, if left unchecked, I will eat anything not tied down and if it runs I will chase it down and eat it! :laugh: I have gotten pretty good at recognizing the "symptoms" and like several others here, I just try to make the healthiest choices possible. For me personally, I stick with complex carbs from veggies, whole frutits and such and high quality proteins. I have had Hypoglycemia for years and through much trial and error have discovered that my body does not metabolize simple carbs (from breads, pasta & refined sugars) well at all so I avoid them like the plague when possible. Although not always successful, this strategy usually gets me through with minimal damage control required the following week. Good luck!
  • rdvincent
    rdvincent Posts: 52
    Options
    OH! TOM (time of ........) heck yes! cannot even get full no matter what, HORMONES!
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of going into maintance mode during this time. That is a great idea. I usually get snacks that won't destroy my diet at this time. I crave chocolate so I eat pudding snacks. I get the 100 calorie packs and try to drink lots of water. I also try to get out of the house. If I am home I eat more. If I do have the chocolate which has been known to happen I try to balance it out with good foods. I have realized that TOM is when I usually end up falling off of my diet. I can make it through one or two TOM but by the third I fall apart. so I think switching to mainitain it might be better for me to stick through it.
  • wendybird2
    wendybird2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree...maintenance calories is a GREAT idea! I will try this next month (too late now...). Like SafireBleu, I fall off the wagon ever month because of this. I'll be doing just fine, losing at a a good, healthy rate...then BANG. I'm back to where I started last month. Even though I tell myself most of it is water weight, the water weight doesn't all come off, either.

One of my tactics that works pretty well (assuming I'm not visiting relatives who keep jars of cookies on the kitchen counter like I was this month) I make a huge pot of vegetable soup. I use only non-starchy veggies (chopped cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, celery, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower, tomatoes...whatever I have on hand), and sautee them lightly in cooking spray. Then I add water instead of broth, just enough to cover the veggies. For flavor I'll add one can of no-salt tomato paste, a few Tbsp chili powder, Mrs Dash spicy mix, and maybe a chopped jalapeno or cayenne (see...no salt, but lots of spice!) Then I just eat it liberally throughout the week, for negligible calories. Just made a big pot yesterday, am hoping to counteract those dang chocolate chips from Sunday.

Hope this helps!
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I always up my cals manually by 300-500 cals during that time,for some reason it at least helps me maintain my weight.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think it is a common dilemma us women face :grumble: . The week before I find, if left unchecked, I will eat anything not tied down and if it runs I will chase it down and eat it! :laugh: I have gotten pretty good at recognizing the "symptoms" and like several others here, I just try to make the healthiest choices possible.

This is me as well... I wish I had better control of it, but it's just tough to fight your body, even when you know what's going on. I try to just keep up with my usual routine...and I try to remind myself in a week everything will be back to normal.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    For all you women that are starving just before or during TOM: very possibly, the reason may be your body's metabolism is speeding up as it's getting ready for a potential change (think body thinks it's about to get ready to carry another life). I listen to what my body wants, I eat when I'm hungry & try to make better choices. If I'm craving ice cream or chocolate, I make myself a deal: I'll get yogurt (non fat greek yogurt is my latest find), freeze it for a bit or buy 1 small bar of choc & stick with that. Then, I work out harder, drink more water & limit alcohol (sometimes that's harder than ignoring the choco-beast!). I beat the bloat & the moodiness (my Baby Sis does the same thing and you'd never know when it's her TOM either)

Just my 4 cents & what works for me.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    YES. So am I. I get hungry the day before I get it. Like absolutely RAVENOUS. I eat and cannot satisfy my hunger. That happened yesterday. At the same time I'm trying to break through a plateau. So I just went for the maintenance during that day. I caved and ate an ice cream cone, as I was out with the family at the beach. I did snack mostly on fruits and veggies, even if I was snacking ALL DAY haha. And ordered the grilled chicken for dinner. I splurge here and there but mainly just try to make sure I'm eating healthy choices when I eat a lot. Glad to know I'm not alone.
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    glad to read I am not alone. I'm starving during my TOM. I noticed it's worst when my period is very heavy (like this month). It seems I want more proteins and I feel soooooo tired.
    I was curious so I did a little research. It seems women need 100-300 more cals during their period, and that because of hormonal changes we can get lower blood sugar (----and feel more tired than usual).

...but eeeeck things look pretty bad on my MFP diary right now and that is because of that. SOOOOO HUNGRY.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    I have this problem the week before my TOM and I do not care how much water I drink it does no good.

I feel like a zombie sometimes because I CANNOT stop myself from going into the kitchen and eating. I have noticed that since I moved my workouts to first thing in the morning 5 days a week, those days I do not eat nearly as much but I still munch.

I alter my choices of food to make sure I am getting the most filling products but I also suffer from PMDD so I am like robo-***** on steroids and eating is a comfort for me. I would love to know if anyone has some solutions to this also :D
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Another TOM thread? Thanks, my night is complete now!!
  • ApproachingDusk
    Options
    I would rather be hungry! TOM for me is equal to horrible nausea for the last few years. I'm thinking its a stress response that I'm now getting instead of the horrible cramps.

Hungry you know what to do to fix it. Nausea you just want to lie there and die.
  • melodie5
    Options
    I get that too, try filling up on fiber along with the protein as well as adding a small amount of healthy fat seems to be the best solution so far. If Im really hungry for something bad I make a ranch "dressing" with low fat cottage cheese on a big huge salad or an egg white omlet with a small amount of cheese and ezekiel bread. Usually that helps keep me feeling full. Also if all else fails guess you could try and earn some extra exercise calories.
  • freeloaves
    freeloaves Posts: 281
    Options
    I am always STARVING! Before and during. Sucks.