natashab61
natashab61 Posts: 103 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Thoughts?

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'm ridiculously stubborn. I set small goals and celebrate when I get there. And it's now habit.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I guess I needed a stick more than a carrot, but I remind myself that at this point, being obese—my starting BMI was 45, 8 months ago—doesn't just put me 'at risk' for medical issues, it's likely to trigger the one I've already got. (I have refluxed veins in my legs, due to the extra weight I was/am carrying. It also squeezed my lymphatic system. Result: much slower healing to any cut or scrape on my left leg, increased susceptibility to infection in those cuts and scrapes, which often requires multiple doses of oral antibiotics to heal. Which, yes, puts me at greater risk of developing a tolerance for those antibiotics if I need them often enough.)

Now, there are carrots involved, too. I like the way my clothes fit. I feel great. I have more energy and I know it's getting better. But I've lost weight before too and put it all back on. I really want this time to be different, not only because I worked hard and don't want to back to plus sizes, but because being a lower weight lowers my risk for lymphedema flare-ups and helps my circulation and I don't want to deal with another weeping wound that takes three months of daily visits from home-care nurses to change the dressing on it before it heals. I'm doing everything I can to avoid that. And 'everything' means compression stockings and weight loss.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Through a functional chain (reaction) of good habits. AKA "living a good life".
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    motivation wanes, you need discipline when it does.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    My commitment to fitness is mostly centered around self-respect. I love life and being active more than I like being lazy or habitually over-indulging. I like having my pants fit a little loosely, being able to run up the stairs 2 at a time, and getting a smile from my doctor at my annual physical.

The most common factor that I have seen across a lot of fit people here is consistency. Fad diets and exercise programs come and go, but find something that you like and works and just keep doing it, even when you don't feel like it. You will never regret exercising on a given day instead of laying in bed or on the couch, and you won't dwell long on passing up that last piece of pizza or pie and remaining within your calorie limits!

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm 4 years into maintenance, doing this whole thing day in and day out, through good times and plenty of low times, because if I don't stay at it I'll regain the weight and eventually be a type 2 diabetic, (getting a pre-diabetic diagnosis is why I lost the extra weight). I refuse to put that burden on myself, my husband and my kids. That's what keeps me committed.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Im not sure but I resonate with what Pacingoamy said.... it is constant self talk. constant. Seeing myself in my mindseye...the way I used to look and now how much I am loving seeing me....everyday is a different experience on this journey and it is such a mind bend.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Staying focused on goal no matter the level of motivation. Keeping track in journal or app of diet (MFP) and exercise (I use a journal).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy living an active lifestyle and I also enjoy eating well for the most part...I have indulgences, but that's all they are...they don't derail me or anything. I'm realistic in that I know I'm never going to be perfect or 100% "on" all of the time.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Kommodevaran, ..."living a good life" Simple and great phrase :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    For the first year, it was a battle - every day. I mean brutal. Now, I've lost 75# with 10# to go and this way of eating and increased physical activity is my new reality. I'm not "committed" per se, it's just a new way of living (and enjoying) life. I'm way more relaxed, don't have any hard and fast "rules" and I'm confident in my choices.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Habit, honest logging even when I go over, a sustainable deficit (so I'm not gnawing my arm off) and a good mix of strength and cardio so I can earn more cals, keep more muscle and see results in the mirror as well as the scale. I also mix it up with my calories and have maintenance days and don't worry if I go over maintenance as long as it fits into my weekly deficit. I also haven't cut out anything from my diet but trrrrrry to have more protein.

Find what works for you and is sustainable for the long term and keep in mind it's a marathon not a sprint, however even with a moderate deficit I still struggled for the first month until I got my rhythm. Good luck x
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Just a habit. Sometimes I need a break though, so I take it. My habit helps me get back on track very easily.
  • kdavid1987
    kdavid1987 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think a big thing for me is refreshing my commitment every day, as many times a day as necessary. This can mean getting onto MFP and looking at my progress and thinking about how proud I will be when I've made more, looking at before and after pics for people who've successfully lost, reading about the benefits of losing weight, imaging myself looking skinny, whatever I need to do to resist the temptation to blow my success for the day. It took me a while to figure out what worked for me as far as refreshing my commitment goes. It may take you a while too but once you get your mind where it needs to be the body will follow, promise!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Cause I like looking good. :p
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I dont need to stay motivated. This is happening no matter what my brain or body says. I am taking control. Period.

This^^^^^