Weight loss

Options
Hi everyone. I am really struggling at the moment to loose any weight. I love my food which is a big issue as well as having an exceptionally sweet tooth:-( I am now at my heaviest and hate looking like this. I have 80lbs to loose. Anyone got any motivation or weight loss tips. I have tried slimming world and rosemary Conley I ended up putting weight on. I have recently joined the gym and love insanity. I am a nurse who works shifts so sometimes I don't know when i can stop to eat. I have started to have a bottle of water with me with lemon slices in. I need to loose this weight at times just get breathless walking up the stairs. Just at a loss on what to do and want to be slim and fit again. Any reccomendations and advice would be greatly appreciated thank you..

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    To lose weight you just need a calorie deficit.

Set MFP to lose 1.5lbs per week, pre log your food to hit your goal, do some exercise for good health.

Simples!

ETA: I loved insanity, love shaun t!
  • annabel92
    annabel92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you have a sweet tooth I would make sure that you choose snacks with nutritional benefits that taste sweet, for example, dates, oranges, strawberries etc., rather than reaching for actual sweets.

Also choose food that's high in protein (meats, eggs, edamame beans etc.) and fibre (broccoli, and most veg really), as this will satiate you for longer.

You can still eat foods you like, just make sure you're logging them correctly and keep an eye on portion control.
  • Neurotic22
    Neurotic22 Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hey, just out of curiousity - were you eating 1/3 speed foods at every meal on slimming world?

Do you eat a lot of similar meals from day to day or get a lot of variety?

If you do tend to eat the same things, could you maybe give an idea?

When you say you're a big sweet tooth is it like a binge at night, lots of snacks in between meals, maybe always having desserts or do you sometimes even replace eating proper meals with sweet foods? *it can be multiple*

You can answer as much or little as comfortable with, just trying to get an idea of where you might struggle most!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    We all love food and sweet things (that's why we're here, lol), but being overweight sucks. So we have to find a way to still be able to enjoy food but not be overweight. MFP is oe of the greatest tools available - but you have to use it correctly in order for it to work properly.

It's both simple and difficult: You just have to stop overeating. You have to make an effort, but it will pay off, and it's not going to be torture.

I would suggest having a good meal before you go to work, and a good meal when you come home, and something healthy and nice to eat whenever at work. Build your meal plan with foods from all the food groups every day. Aim for balance and variety - have something from at least three groups for every meal, and something different for each meal and from day to day. Plan your meals in as much detail as is practical for you, make sure you have everything ready in time, and prelog. Hit your calorie goal every day. You may want to buy an electronic food scale and use it (I really recommend doing that).

The food you are eating should satisfy you, mentally and physically. It has to be food you like, but not food that stimulates overeating. But even with your ideal diet, you will occasionally feel urges to eat more. You will have to learn how to calm those urges. They will not go away, but as you improve your nutritional status, and the more you get into the habit of eating regular (as regular as you can) meals, and not yielding to impulses, the more confident you will be, and the call from the vending machine will be more and more feeble.

Exercise is good. Keep that up.

Keep the faith. You will lose weight.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    ss32mbf1lx78.jpg
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    First things first. Get your mind right. Commit to losing the weight and the rest is easy. Don't worry about fad diets or changing things too much. The only thing you need to do is to figure out your weight loss targets, determine how many calories you need per day, and very consciously measure and track your food intake. Luckily, MFP can help you with all of this. Also, get a food scale and measure religiously.

Heck - you can even keep sweets as long as you account for them in your daily intake.

Re: motivation - sounds like you've already got it but I will add that if done in a sustainable manner weight loss is easier than many others would have you believe. No need for crash diets or severe limitations, just remember that your calories in must be lower than your calories out and all will be well.