Stomach issues!! (TMI alert!)

Options
I've been LCHF plus intermittent fasting for a couple of weeks. I feel absolutely DREADFUL! My stomach feels so bloated, like I have a bowling ball in it! And yet there can't be anything in my tummy because I'm always on the loo (if you know what I mean, gross gross gross!)
I am going away in 3 weeks and wanted to just feel more confident wearing shorts and vests etc, but I just can't keep on feeling this lethargic and sluggish. I went out on my bike this morning and could only manage 4 miles because I felt so faint and dizzy.
I have tried every single kind of diet and I am so full to the brim with info that I don't know what to do! Thinking of just going back to calorie counting.
What would you all do for 3 weeks before you go on holiday?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

sjcave74 wrote: »
    I have tried every single kind of diet and I am so full to the brim with info that I don't know what to do! Thinking of just going back to calorie counting.
    What would you all do for 3 weeks before you go on holiday?

I think you should just go back to calorie counting whether that is utilizing a LCHF macro split or some other type.

That said, the stomach issues don't sound like typical LCHF side effects (although the lethargy is a common side effect) but more like a stomach bug, intolerance, stress or something?

With respect to your holiday - I'd say that fixing your stomach issues is you primary concern and that if you're not feeling better over the next day or so you need to visit the Dr. What happens after that is all dependent upon the diagnosis but, if we are assuming a bug (most likely) you'll be fine to get back on the wagon once everything has settled down.

IMHO 3 weeks away from a holiday is not the time to be attempting any significant loss and personally I like to get all the stuff over and done with 3 or 4 weeks before going away and gradually ramp my cals up prior to the trip.

I do this because otherwise on my first few days I tend to go a bit wild on the food and booze.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You just need a deficit to lose weight... ditch LCHF if it's not for you.
  • sjcave74
    sjcave74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You're all right, thanks. I've just been so focussed on losing a few pounds before I go away but at the moment my priority is feeling better so I can enjoy my holiday (Boston and NYC so copious food and cocktails!)
    I can't stomach any more high fat foods I know that much!
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

seems like most people who are successful on MFP find that sticking to your calorie limit is the most important-and to be able to stick to it requires eating a way that is sustainable long term. Doesn't sound like this--or other diets--work for you. They dont for me either. While I dont eat a lot of carbs and sugar as a general preference, I find I dont have good workouts if I try the low carb thing. why dont you choose a macro proportion that seems to best reflect your eating preferences (and is still nutritionally sound) and try to stick with it? I've tweaked mine a bit as I realize I tend to eat higher fat foods (olive oil, cheese and avocados provide me with the satiety I need on a low cal diet) but dont freak out when I dont hit them.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My goodness, don't torture yourself. You need to do something sustainable and this obviously isn't it. Count your calories and find foods that are friendly to your digestive tract.

Are you, by chance, eating anything with artificial sweeteners in it, like Halo Top Ice Cream. That seems to bother some people.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason to eat low carb versus just counting your calories; especially if eating low carb makes you feel like crap.

I don't know about you, but i much prefer to eat plenty of fruits and veggies (which provide me plenty of fiber) and eating carbs which make me feel like i have plenty of energy than forcing myself to eat high fats and feel hangry all the time.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Try an enema