Motivational quotes-What's your favorite??

Options

Replies

• Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    "Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours."
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Be the person you wish to be.
    Heaven is not just over our heads but under our feet. - meaning for me, the world I want is right here, I just need to notice it.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    "You are what you eat"

"If it tastes good, spit it out" by Jack LaLanne.

Not nessesarily motivational, and not 100 percent true BUT I do get what he's saying in terms of eating to live, and not living to eat. I remind myself of this every single day when I wake up and it's keeping the crap food out of my body and diet.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've always liked this one

"What you are afraid to do is a clear indicator of the next thing you need to do." - Anon.

This one is also pretty apt

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    "You're not going to get any less tired sitting on the sofa" - me!
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    "You are the only limiting factor in your success" and "You can't get there from here"

I also love all the Lalanneisms. Genius.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eddie "Inside of me, theres a thin person just screaming to get out..."
    Eddies Mum "Just the one, dear!?"
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    and my favourite favourite thats come from this site....

If you dont faint, puke or die, keep going!!!!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    "I intend to live forever or die trying." -Groucho Marx (one of my favorite quotes ever, enough to make my signature)

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." -Michelangelo

"Nothing is impossible, only improbable, impractical or unfeasible." -anonymous

I think that's about as close as any of my motivational quotes come to being relevant to MFP. Most of them are relevant to changing the world, like:

"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

I suppose, though, that this one could technically relate to anything you do.
  • southweststan
    Options
    "Hope is the denial of reality" - Margaret Weis
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    "Hope is the denial of reality" - Margaret Weis

"Hope is the thing with feathers
    That perches in the soul,
    And sings the tune--without the words,
    And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
    And sore must be the storm
    That could abash the little bird
    That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
    And on the strangest sea;
    Yet, never, in extremity,
    It asked a crumb of me."

-Emily Dîckinson
  • uhoh_billy
    uhoh_billy Posts: 94
    Options
    "Do not take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive" - No idea, My dad has a belt buckle that says it

"To live will be an awfully big adventure" - the movie Hook

Not "motivational" per se but they remind me to do the things that make me happy and to do work to get what I want out of life

The second one (Hook) I have tattoo'd on my inner left arm :D
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    "To live will be an awfully big adventure" - the movie Hook

I <3 Hook!
  • Oz2011
    Oz2011 Posts: 58
    Options
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

-Rocky Balboa
  • Cushworth
    Cushworth Posts: 6
    Options
    These that i remember from a motivation course i went on

"A thought is just a thought and can be changed."
    "Do what you can and forgive yourself what you can't"
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"
    "Leave it. Lump it. Change it"

And this one cos i think its quite funny
    "Age only matters if you're a cheese"

And a comment from a time management course i went on not really a motivation quote but a debate inspiring one!
    "The only thing you have to do in life is die"
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    "Get your lazy *ss out of bed before the heathens (children) are up and keep you from running." - by me, to myself at 6:45am. When school starts I will be saying this at 5 am.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    "Always shoot for the moon. 'Cause even if you miss, you might catch a star or two on the way down" - Can't remember.

"Just think of life a valley of woe, filled with pain, hunger, misery and despair" "Not for me it bloody isn't! For me life is a big palace full of food, drink, and comfy sofas" - Blackadder the Third.

"I know it hurts, but I'm saving your life right now" - Bob Harper

"Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels" - Unknown

"When the body gets tired, it wants to get sloppy...dont let it" - Jillian Michaels (I always think of this when im doing my DDR!)

"You didnt gain the weight overnight..what makes you think you will lose it overnight?" - Pretty much most MFP posters :P So true though.

"WW1 was fought with men. WW2 was fought with tanks. WW3 will be fought with Nuclear Weapons. WW4 will be fought with rocks" - Civfanatic poster.

And, to finish, i cant believe no one else has mentioned this so far. For those that haven't heard of this, apologies to those that have, advice, like youth, is wasted on the young:

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

-Mary Schimich
  • brenda_allport
    Options
    If you always do what you have always done, you will also get what you have always gotten.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Fall seven times, stand up eight.