One week intermittent fasting gained a pound

So, I am trying intermittent fasting since I wanted to up my weightloss and ended up gaining a pound from sunday to thurday. I realize it was not exactly a week, but I thought I was supposed to start losing immediately.

I've kept my calories between 2000 to 1,300.

I am also not feeling any lighter. If anything, heavier.

Any tips?

Replies

• Neurotic22
    Neurotic22 Posts: 22 Member
    Is 2000-1300 below maintenance calories? And is this how much you eat every day or do you fast longer than a day?
  • princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    Water weight and how much you have going through your digestive track makes a difference to your weight.
    Don't be disheartened because you've not seen results after 5 days.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    You could be having a temporary gain due to all sorts of things, not related to actual fat gains. Besides that though, IF in itself doesn't do anything magical for weight loss, it's just a tool that some find helpful to help them stick to their calorie goals. You still need to be hitting the correct calorie deficit though.
  • davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    Neurotic22 wrote: »
    Is 2000-1300 below maintenance calories? And is this how much you eat every day or do you fast longer than a day?

I believe so, my BMR is around 1,800-2000, according to the different calculators I've used.

I've never skipped breakfast before (it is what IF recomends) and I am worried it is slowering my metabolism.
  • davypr86
    It is one week...what were you expecting in one week??

Also, what are you expecting from IF? You realize IF is just a tool that you can use to gain/lose/maintain weight - it alone will do nothing for weightloss...

I was expecting not to gain, at least.

I understand IF is supposed to lower your insulin levels increasing fat burning.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    What else have you changed? New workout? Different foods?

Bottom line is if you're below your calories, you'll lose weight, but many things can cause water retention.
  • OliveGirl128
    edited July 2017
    davypr86 wrote: »

I believe so, my BMR is around 1,800-2000, according to the different calculators I've used.

I've never skipped breakfast before (it is what IF recomends) and I am worried it is slowering my metabolism.

Meal timing/frequency is irrevelant for weight loss, hitting your calorie decifit targets is what causes weight loss.

I did various IF protocols through my weight loss phase and several years of maintenance, (ADF, 5:2 and then 16:8IF). During that time I had periods where I ate in the morning and then periods where I didn't eat till noon or later. Regardless if I was doing IF or not though, I controlled my weight by being at the correct calorie intake for my weight management goals.

edit: grammar
  • Neurotic22
    edited July 2017
    Maybe check to make sure you are eating at a deficit - it can help to use a few different BMR calculators in case one is inaccurate!

Generally there is not a noticeable change in metabolism just from the times of day you eat, it would be over a very long period of time that your metabolism took on effects.

If you pop your stats up I or plenty of others would be happy to check and make sure you're eating the right number - only because you seem a little uncertain! :)
  • OliveGirl128
    weight loss isn't linear it fluctuates - the last week, I've been 147.3, 148, 148.3, 147.4 and 147 - so you could have just weighed yourself on a day where your weight was up

but like others said - IF isn't a magic pill - you still need to eat less than you burn - are you measuring/weighing everything?

Yep, this. Even at maintenance your weight doesn't stay the same-this week I've seen 126, 129, 128 and 128. All normal fluctuations within my 5lb maintenance window.

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    1300 to 2000 calories is a huge difference. Did you put your stats into MFP, and did it give you a calorie goal? If so, stick with THAT number of calories per day. On top of that, measure and weigh your food with a food scale to make sure you are actually hitting that number and not going overboard.

As others have said, IF is not magic. In and of itself, won't make you lose weight at all. So if that is the only reason you are doing it, just stop. Go back to your regular eating habits. Meal timing makes no difference at all. And it's NOT affecting your metabolism.
  • davypr86
    Maybe check to make sure you are eating at a deficit - it can help to use a few different BMR calculators in case one is inaccurate!

Generally there is not a noticeable change in metabolism just from the times of day you eat, it would be over a very long period of time that your metabolism took on effects.

If you pop your stats up I or plenty of others would be happy to check and make sure you're eating the right number - only because you seem a little uncertain! :)

My diary is public. You can check if you want. :)

Thanks!
  • Neurotic22
    Am on my phone atm so I can't, but diary won't tell me what I need to know...

Basically 1) do you have your MFP height, weight etc put in correctly?
    2) what activity level did you choose, and are you sure it's accurate?
    3) do you log exercise calories?

If you do MFP adds more to your "allowance" - do you eat these?
    4) do you log everything you eat and do you log exactly how much you eat?
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Do not use BMR. Because your metabolism can change. Day to day. What's your height weight and goal?
  • davypr86
    Took a look at your diary and everything seems to be in cups and tbsp type measures - these are terribly inaccurate and you could easily be eating 100's of calories above what you think you are. You need to weigh foods or buy things that are in packages that clearly state the exact calories to know for sure how much you are eating.

Also not necessary to lose weight, but a lot of what you eat seems to be unhealthy. Have you considered that adding veggies and lean meats would allow you to eat more in terms of portion size for similar calories? **this is totally optional, but something that might be worth considering**

Oh! Ok. I'll look into that.

As for your second question, I has trouble this week because it is fourth of july, lol. I'll add more healthy meals as the week progresses.
  • davypr86
    rmgnow wrote: »
    Do not use BMR. Because your metabolism can change. Day to day. What's your height weight and goal?

I am 5'77 and I want to reach 160 lbs. I am 208 at the moment.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    If I were you I'd try to consume about 1800 calories a day.
    Log everything.
    If you have problems logging items, go on the conservative side.
    Eat your calories back but stay on the conservative side when trying to guess how many calories you burned.

I usually only eat oatmeal in the morning. If I'm very strict it's only 150 Cals. This let's me play a lot more with lunch and dinner.