How many kcals should I be burning?

Options
Hello lovely people

I have never been one to exercise but I have finally understood that to lose weight healthily and help my asthma its the best thing.

I am trying to do a little per day so it all adds up at the end of the week.

My first week I want to burn around 500kcals but I am not sure where to go from there. Should I bump it up 100 per week till I am up to standard? Any advice welcome! xx

Replies

• Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    It's my understanding that kcals are equal to calories but I see people using kcals in different ways.

Burning 100 cals a week would be very easy and would not really do much for you body. Just by going for a 20 minutes walk you would burn more than that. Plus, the only way to accurately calculate your calories is with a heart rate monitor. So to burn 100 cals a week you would have to work out a couple of minutes a day so I do think that goal is too low.

What kind of exercises are you doing or do you want to do? You'd be surpised how much you burn doing some things.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    All that matter in keeping your body and mind healthy and losing the extra pounds is exercising a little bit everyday or at least 4 days per week and there is not any number how many you should burn. What matter is that you keep exercising and you will see the results and also drink lots of water :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Per day or per week??? 100 calories burned per week is very low. Not that I am a great example because i am extremely athletic and a bit obsessed but i burn 1000 to 1500 per DAY.... I would say maybe shooting for 250-500 per day based upon your level would be good
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    Hello lovely people

I have never been one to exercise but I have finally understood that to lose weight healthily and help my asthma its the best thing.

My first week I want to burn around 500kcals but I am not sure where to go from there. Should I bump it up 100 per week till I am up to standard? Any advice welcome! xx
    you said bump it up so im guessing you meant 1000 not 100. i would say anywhere between 500 and 1000 would be a good number for a weekly burn. i would try keeping it around 1000 myself though.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    Hello lovely people

you said bump it up so im guessing you meant 1000 not 100. i would say anywhere between 500 and 1000 would be a good number for a weekly burn. i would try keeping it around 1000 myself though.
    actually i see what you meant...you want to go up 100 a week until you get to standard.....when i first started working out i actually just jumped right into it. sorry, i misread :wink:
  • mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    Options
    I think she was saying bump it from 500 to 600 the next week and so on. Like bump it up by 100 kcal a week.

I try to burn 500+ a day but I exercise over an hour a day everyday.
  • mike737
    mike737 Posts: 68
    Options
    I'd probably be looking at doing an hour a day and seeing how many that burns. It will defo be more than 500 a week.
  • MissWangle
    MissWangle Posts: 29
    Options
    Oh no sorry I think I may have caused some confusion. I want to burn around 500 first week, then 600, 700, 800, 900...I am in for the long haul and as much as I want to just jump in and go mental exercising loads I find I do that then I do nothing for weeks. I thought little and often might be a better approach. I am hoping to get up to about 700 this week as I have only been exercising 2 days and have burned nearly 300.

Maybe aim for 700 this week :)
  • kimberlyran
    Options
    I have been told at a guide to burn 500 calories per day with a bit 1000 on a Saturday (to balance out a treat meal). It usually works out to be about an hour of hard work. You feel great afterwords. Good Luck.
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I started see more results within the last several months when I started working out at least 6 days a week and no less than 600 to 800 calories burned per day. The more you burn the more results you will see though.
  • alicebecker79
    alicebecker79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jamie, try for 250-500 per day that you exercise. The golden rule to losing weight burn more calories each day than you consume. To lose 1llb/0.5kg of fat per week you need to burn 3000 calories more than you take in a week. Its hard but extremely achievable.

Good luck!