How big a role does sleep play in weight loss?

Options
I know calories in, calories out. But I have seen a lot of people talk about sleep being important for weight loss, and even say that when they sleep in on the weekends, they weigh less in the morning. Does sleep really affect weight loss? The reason I'm asking is because I have 6 month old twins, so sleep has basically been non-existent for oh.... about six months.

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    For me it's vital. When I'm asleep I'm not picking at food. Plus I'm on medication that makes me very sleepy. I can easily get 11 hours a night no problem.

Biologically I would guess it doesn't make a huge amount of difference other than as part of a healthy lifestyle.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how sleep impacts weight loss, but I know when I don't get enough sleep it is much more challenging to hit my calorie goal. I want to snack in the afternoon and I get strong cravings for things like sweet drinks and candy.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think the main things with sleep loss are that you produce too much of the stress hormone cortisol which can increase your appetite and also messes with your bodies ability to process carbs, which increases your blood sugar which in turn increases your insulin which can mean your body stores more fat than normal and also increases your insulin resistance (higher risk of diabetes or pre diabetes). xxx I hope you get some sleep soon, take care xxx
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I just know that if I don't get enough sleep at night and am tired during the day - all I want to do is eat :( Sigh....
  • shannonstube
    shannonstube Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just know that if I don't get enough sleep at night and am tired during the day - all I want to do is eat :( Sigh....

Yes, this is me, too. When I'm tired grilled chicken and salad don't appeal to me at all, all I want to do is eat crunchy carbs.
  • labblb86
    labblb86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Same with me. When I don't get enough sleep, I have crazy cravings the next day for junk food when I normally have a 'clean diet'. Unfortunately that's me today ... but I'm fighting off the cravings!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Sleep plays a huge role. Whether it's lowering physical resistance to over eating or hormonal imbalances that change the CI/CO equation, it's important to get sufficient quality sleep.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Didn't make a difference for me. I mean as long as I had enough energy to get through my workouts. I don't have twins but a 17 month old who still doesn't sleep very well. Urg.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    For me: it's huge. I'm a firm believer in the "Performance Triad" - diet, exercise, and sleep. When one gets out of wack, it definitely affects the other two (bad night of sleeping, don't feel like exercising & skip it, eat poorly because I'm sleepy). In most cases, with a little "suffering" it's somewhat self-correcting: poor night's sleep -> get up an exercise anyway, may not be a great workout, but it's better than no -> generally eat better since I exercised -> struggled with sleepiness all day, but then get a good night's sleep.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep increases cortisol which hangs on to water, if I recall correctly. I'm not convinced poor sleep affects fat loss significantly. I lost 150 lbs while experiencing various sleep issues. Sleep is important for fitness & performance too. But I wouldn't use it as an excuse for not losing weight.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There are two ways your body produces energy; sleep and food. When you don't get enough sleep, you body wants more food to make up for it, so you have more cravings.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sleep is very important for my weight loss. If I get poor sleep or not enough sleep, my blood sugars get messed up (I'm a type2 diabetic) and I'll get hungry or I'll binge, typically on some high-carb food.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd say it is 1%. But it is a factor. Even if it is just reduced willpower from general exhaustion.

Six month old twins do grow up and start to sleep through the night. So you will get your sleep back. Of course, you will get added exercise from chasing toddler twins around, but that may turn out to be a bonus.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Huge for me! I eat way less. With the babies it's tough, been there.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh you poor thing with the twins and no sleep--I feel for you. I don't know the science, but if I don't get enough sleep, several things happen: I am likely up too late mindlessly eating crummy stuff and then when I am tired the next day I just don't make good food choices and I find it much easier to not work out, because poor me I am tired. Nothing good comes from being tired (like you didn't know that).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The only reason you wake up lighter after longer sleep is longer time between eating and more time slowly dehydrating and burning stored energy.

But like so many have said, being tired makes me less careful with food choices, leaves me craving carbs, and sugar especially and more likely to skip exercise.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Quality sleep it vital. I stopped watching TV altogether and go to bed at 9, so I get 8 hours. It's made all the difference in energy for working out and fighting the mid-afternoon cravings. Even naps help if you're able to work them in with the twins.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    When you are sleeping, you are not eating. Sure, you're only burning BMR, but you're still not eating. That's one way that it helps to lose weight. Another is that when sleeping, your body and brain repair themselves. That's always good and if you are exercising and stressing you need it. Another is that when sleeping, you might just be able to exhaust your glycogen stores and transition to ketosis for a few hours of fat-burning before your breakfast.

I am very very very rarely able to get 6 or more hours of sleep. I manage to lose weight, and I don't have data to compare weight loss with 8-9 hours of sleep. I do know that waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning leaves me with several hours before my planned breakfast and I'm too butt-draggy to pretend to exercise for passing the time.

I haven't been able to notice any cravings for all the foods when that happens.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Huge for me. Not enough sleep and I'm cranky, hungry, and retain water like crazy.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Sleep is hugely important, if I don't get enough sleep, my ability to maintain healthy habits drops considerably. It is much easier to not over eat, and to eat healthier when I get enough