Replies

• jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the best way!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Exercise, definitely-- and lots of water.
  • skinneyamy0211
    Options
    I do walking, jogging, treadmil, elliptical for my work outs and i drink close to 100 oz of water a day sometimes with slices of lemon in it... but nothing is working
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Exercise and eat enough calories that you aren't starving for proper nutrients.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I am constantly working on to improve mine. Lean muscle mass helps, vitamins and mineral help. Get enough sleep also helps.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    well what i keep getting p0unded in my head is exercise and eating enough cals. i am starting to try an listen
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    dont forget to eat...small frequent meals keeps your metabolism running and running strong. Without frequent feedings, your body goes into survival mode and stores fat.

Regular healthy eating (every few hours) and exercise.
  • skinneyamy0211
    Options
    any specific vitiamns... this week i started to do the eating sm meals every 2-3 hrs so i cant wait to see if that makes a difference
  • prplhaz300
    prplhaz300 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Did a little research this week on this exact subject and found that just exercise is not enough. Apparently, the strength training is a biggy, using the big muscles in resistance is imperative to metabolism, not just cardiovasular and there are certain foods that can help stimulate the metabolism also. So I am giving it my all this week. Would be happy to let you know how it goes. Was up and at the gym at 5am to do weight training, ugh!!!
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    any specific vitiamns... this week i started to do the eating sm meals every 2-3 hrs so i cant wait to see if that makes a difference

I have been doing the small meals every 3 hours for about 4 months now and that has helped me also. Good Luck!!!
  • skinneyamy0211
    Options
    can you give me some of the foods it listed please
  • skinneyamy0211
    Options
    thank you
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Just checked out your food diary, and it looks like your problem isn't metabolism, it's food selection... there's no magic pill that's going to let you eat the way you are and still lose or mainstain your weight. Try eating lean protein, fresh fruits and vegetables the vast majority of the time, and limit the pizza, McDs, rum and coke, etc... to rare occasions. And stop skipping meals and spending your entire day's calories in one meal of unhealthy food - that will really screw up your metabolism.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Lift some weights! Muscle burns more calories than fat.. and it is the best thing for getting that metabolism up and running.
  • skinneyamy0211
    Options
    I get what your saying about my food selections and this week would not be the week to look at what i was eating... i have been for the last 5 months adding more fish chicken and fruit and veggies and nothing works. I have had a personal trainer look at my foods and she said i am making good decisions i just need to eat more because of the work outs i was doing. well i did that for months and sitll no results. this past weekend was a hot record setting weekend and i just did nto feel like cooking and had pool parties... but thank you for looking... please look again this week and let me know what you think. we are doing a biggest loser challenge at work and our week is thur - wed so please again check out my eating and see what you think
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Just checked out your food diary, and it looks like your problem isn't metabolism, it's food selection... there's no magic pill that's going to let you eat the way you are and still lose or mainstain your weight. Try eating lean protein, fresh fruits and vegetables the vast majority of the time, and limit the pizza, McDs, rum and coke, etc... to rare occasions. And stop skipping meals and spending your entire day's calories in one meal of unhealthy food - that will really screw up your metabolism.

Please don't listen to this advice. There is no food that inhibits fat loss, nor is there any way to divide up calories, one meal vs a million, that will effect it.

To answer your question, eating as much as you can, while limiting long duration exercise is the best way to keep metabolism going strong. I recommend a spike day once a week of excess calories over maintenance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I do walking, jogging, treadmil, elliptical for my work outs and i drink close to 100 oz of water a day sometimes with slices of lemon in it... but nothing is working
    How long? How hard? Are you at 75% or higher of max heart rate? Also you mention no strength training.
  • skinneyamy0211
    Options
    I will walking outside at about 4mph for between 45-60 min, jogging i am at a 5.5 and do that on a treadmill and will do 1.5 miles then walk at a 3.7 for 1.5 miles... the ellptical i am up to 20 min and according to the heart rate on the machines i am in the burn zone. i have not lifted any weights because i thought it was all in cardo to lose.
  • skinneyamy0211
    Options
    thank you both but i have already stated that last week was a bum week... my food choices are normally very good that is why i was trying to find someway to speed up my metabolism.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the person who says it doens't matter what you eat as long as the calories are right. It does! Because your energy level goes up and your body responds to the exercise you are doing, and builds more muscle. It makes it easier to get fitter and work out.
    Make sure when you work out you get your heart rate over 150bpm, really sweat. Weights are good but I do think you build muscle if you do a lot of cardio as well.
    I find your body gets used to walking and then its not really any good.
    40-50 mins cardio 4-5 times a week with heart rate way up as above should help a lot.
    You are welcome to look at my food diary for meal ideas, I never spend more than 5 minutes preparing a meal, its all just natural clean food that takes a minimum of preparation. I really don't think I'd lose weight eating the way you do to be honest.
    I also have to say if I were paying a personal trainer and not getting results I'd be pretty p'ed off! If she is giving you the right advice and you are doing what she says you should get results. Change PT!