Warming up for Lifting

Options
I have been lifting for over a month now and really love it :smiley:

However, I am starting to feel like my warm-up routine is not quite sufficient for my lifting as my weight has been increasing. I generally do 10 min cardio (inclined treadmill usually) and 1-2 warm-up sets (about 50-75% of the weight I will be using in the working set) + light stretching before I move to the working sets of each lift in my workout for the day. I am starting to still feel that the first working set I do is not warmed up enough (stiffer, ROM decreased) compared to my last 2 working sets (which feel good).

I am wondering what people like to do for a warm-up for lifting so I can adjust mine as necessary to make sure I am getting the most out of my working sets. Not sure if people like to do longer cardio, more stretching, more warm-up sets, or something else in their routines. Thanks!

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Try an intermediate weight set between your first two warm up sets of 50-75% and you starting your working set. Kinda "sneak up" on your working weight.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You'll have to find a balance I'm your warm up sets that get the job done without being overly fatigued. I know it's popular but I never bought into the cardio warm up. Everything I do is based on the lifts I'm intending to do. ROM movements and various activations.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've never really bought into the whole cardio warm up thing. I have shoulder stuff, so first thing I do is a variety of shoulder warm ups...I basically do these in a circuit, so I warm up and get my shoulders going, but also break a nice sweat in the process.

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Try an intermediate weight set between your first two warm up sets of 50-75% and you starting your working set. Kinda "sneak up" on your working weight.
    rybo wrote: »
    You'll have to find a balance I'm your warm up sets that get the job done without being overly fatigued.

I am thinking of adding another warm-up set to 3 to try it- I just worry about fatigue as I am eating at a deficit and some days I really feel it after my workout.
    I do a modified warmup based on the one in Strong Curves--rolling, then some dynamic stretching, and finally a small bit of static stretching once I'm warm. I don't do cardio.

Then if I'm lifting higher weights like you're describing, I'll also do warmup sets at about that level. But it's not unusual, at least in my experience, for the first working set to feel a little tougher.
    rybo wrote: »
    You'll have to find a balance I'm your warm up sets that get the job done without being overly fatigued. I know it's popular but I never bought into the cardio warm up. Everything I do is based on the lifts I'm intending to do. ROM movements and various activations.

I don't mind some cardio, but I am trying to keep it at a lighter level. Adding some dynamic work/ROM movements seems reasonable to me as well- I need to research that a bit more (although @amyrebeccah your list seems like a good place to start).
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    i usually do a couple minutes of cardio to get my heart pumping, no more than 2 or 3 minutes. I powerlift and this is my warm up: I use a resistance for a few minutes to get the muscles i'm working for the day moving around and stretching, and get my joints moving, And then i take the empty bar for whatever lift i'm doing. And i just add small increments of weight until i get to my working weight. I try and get 4-5 sets in before i hit working weight. The bar is a set of 8, next set is a set of 5, and then i drop to sets of 3. And if i'm doing 1 rep sets, i'll drop to 1 rep after a few sets of 3. it can take me about 20-30 minutes to get to working weight.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like to do about 10 minutes on the elliptical. I like it because it warms up my entire body, unlike the treadmill or stationary bike. Then for each exercise I only need to do one warm-up set with about 50% weight for 15 repetitions.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I usually do 10 minutes of cardio because I am working out first thing and need something to wake me up a bit. Then I stretch and then I do 3 to 4 warmup sets moving up to whatever working weight I'm using. I usually do them with either 5, 5, and 3 reps or 8, 5, 3, and 1 reps.

You really just need to find your own routine. Some people like a bit of cardio some don't. Some like stretching, some don't. I know a person who doesn't use warm up sets even.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I don't do any warm up or stretch b4 lifting.

I just start lifting w/ lower weights and work my way up. No problems doing it that way 4 me.
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    Thanks, everyone- I appreciate the responses!
    jemhh wrote: »
    You really just need to find your own routine. Some people like a bit of cardio some don't. Some like stretching, some don't. I know a person who doesn't use warm up sets even.

Yeah, I guessed it was a large part up to the individual (as most of this stuff is!) but I wanted to get an idea of what others are doing in case there was something important that I was missing or something that really struck me as helpful to adjust my routine.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My warm ups for lifting follow this model:
    • Just the bar x 10 reps
    • 40% working weight x 5
    • 60% working weight x 3
    • 80% working weight x 2
    • 90% working weight x 1 or 2

Wait two minutes, and get to work.

The warm up is just that - to warm up the joints and musculature you're going to use without a negative impact on the work sets.

Andy baker goes into it well.

• Penthesilea514
    Options
    Thanks for the video!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I generally do 10 min cardio (inclined treadmill usually) and 1-2 warm-up sets (about 50-75% of the weight I will be using in the working set)

i'm with whoever it was who just said meh-cardio, but different strokes.

i do non-lifting mobility stuff first, basically hip circles, band pulls and broomstick 'dislocates'. for the lifting itself, i do what my trainer prescribed, which i think is fairly standard: first set with the bar, then at least two additional sets at increments leading up to work weight. if i feel uncomfortable (and responsible) i'll do as many additional sets as i want with those lower weights, but three is the minimum. and if the warmups show me a trouble point i might spend isolated time on that before doing the next set.

my sets are 5, but i saw mark bell claiming somewhere that you can do all the warmup sets that you want if you keep them to 3 reps. i watch him but i'm not the demographic he's usually speaking to, so never tried that out myself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Do more warm up sets. So if you're going to do 4 sets of benching, do 2 warm up sets for a total of 6 sets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    PL coach (for bench) has me do 2x8 with an empty bar; then 1x8@60%/1×6@70%/1×4@75-80% for a warm-up. Percentages are just a rough estimate. Working sets are 1x8/1×5/1×3.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I'll do 5 minutes of light cardio (usually bike, incline on a treadmill, or rowing machine). My first lift is usually a compound move, so I'll only warm up on that. I do empty bar first for 8-10 reps just to get my joints loose, then I'll either jump in if I'm doing low weight-high reps, or I'll do 25% for 8-10 reps as a warm-up if I'm doing higher weight-low reps.

Like many here, we all do something different. Find what works for you. That video someone posted is great!
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    I upped the number of warm up sets and changed the weight incrementally leading up to the working sets- that seemed to help last night. Thanks for the information, everyone!
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    As others have said, start with an empty bar an increase weight/decrease reps until ready to start on the working sets.

Food for thought: I grab a foam roller and a softball and spend about 10 minutes on my quads, calves, and especially my hamstrings. Really gets blood moving into those muscles. Look up some mobility exercises. Just works for me.