Walkers/Joggers - My feet hurt!!

Options
Can't decide if I need new socks or new shoes or both! How often do you replace your shoes?

Replies

• Sindrellia
    Options
    I get new shoes several times a year. The shoes that I wear on a daily basis, I replace once a year. The shoes that I use to run/workout in, I replace twice a year. I replace socks when they get holes.. I can't even deal with an extremely small hole.
  • cece62002
    cece62002 Posts: 28
    Options
    I hope you get some good answers because my feet hurt too! I purchased some New Balance running shoes and they were very expensive. I thought I would have very little discomfort. Now I am thinking about getting new socks and placing an insole in my shoe as well. Let me know if you hear more ideas! Thanks!:smile:
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Sending a little more on a quality shoe helps.
  • lovingsingle
    Options
    my feet used to hurt until my sister who is a runner told that my feet may be out of alignment so i went to a foot doctor and yes they was, i tend to walk on the insides of my feet so he made me a special insert to correct the problem and told me about shoes designed to help with that same problem ever since i have started wearing my inserts my feet have felt a whole lot better and i am pain free!!
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    my lower inner heal would hurt when I run 3-4 times a week but if I space it out and have a rest day in between then it is fine. Now as far as shoes and socks.. I never thought I would spend 8-10 bucks for a pair of socks but I have and it's worth it. No more blisters on the back on my heals. (I wear out the inside back part where a shoe horn will go in all my shoes, not just running shoes. and these socks helped out big time.)

The shoes I wear when training made the difference between shin splints and none. so I recommend finding a pair that are very comfortable for you and like lovingsingle mentioned below about the alignment, you may want to check that out too and find soles for your shoes.

Keep on trucking!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If you havent already, you should go to a running store for a Gait Analysis. Its crucial to get fitted properly.

I rotate between 2 different sneakers at the moment.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you havent already, you should go to a running store for a Gait Analysis. Its crucial to get fitted properly.

I rotate between 2 different sneakers at the moment.

I was waiting for someone to suggest this. Definitely go somewhere where the sales people will watch you run and then fit you with a shoe meant to support your particular running style. Don't just pick something off the wall and think if you spend so much money they will work for you. Everyone has different feet and different strides. That's why they make so many different shoes.
  • tlahuiltzin
    tlahuiltzin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My shape ups feel like I'm walking on clouds. But I use them for power walking, not running . . .
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    “My feet hurt” covers a lot of possibilities. Pain at the top of your foot, between your toes and ankle could be anything from a fracture to having your laces tied too tight, causing the bones to rub together and get inflamed. Pain at the inside of your foot at the heel that feels like a spike is being driven into it could be plantar fasciitis, where the tendons connecting the toes to the heel becomes stretch, inflamed, and, at it’s worse, starts to detach from the heel and can cause bone spurs. This can take up to several years to heal, once you know how to treat it
  • AndreaM10
    AndreaM10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok, let me clarify, the balls of my feet mainly have begun getting more and more sore when I exercise.

Also, I both walk and jog, not sure if that matters where shoes are concerned.

Thanks for all the input so far! So glad I found this site!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Can't decide if I need new socks or new shoes or both! How often do you replace your shoes?
    Get your feet check for the RIGHT type of shoe to wear. Your walking/jogging gait dictates which areas of your feet that take more impact and having the right type of shoe will help to alleviate it.
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The best advice is to go to an independent shoe store that will take time to talk with you, measure your gait, measure your foot and fit you for the right shoe. The people that own these stores and the workers are typically sports enthusiast and will take time with you so you leave there with the right items.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Here is an article about foot pain and probable causes and fixes:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/191.shtml

I feel your pain, though mine is in my calf! Mine is caused by hill work and overly fatigued muscles, but I can't avoid hill work in my neighborhood so I found so new stretches and exercise to do to help relieve some of the problems. Good luck!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Ok, let me clarify, the balls of my feet mainly have begun getting more and more sore when I exercise.

Also, I both walk and jog, not sure if that matters where shoes are concerned.

Thanks for all the input so far! So glad I found this site!!

Have a look at metatarsalgia. That might be what you have.