I'm a fat runner

Options
Three years ago I was a 155 lb aerobic machine. I had run about a dozen marathons. I had qualified for and ran Boston and reached my ultimate goal of running a sub 3 hour marathon in the last race I ran. I ran 90 miles a week and ate whatever I wanted. Then I got hurt. A bad Achilles tendon took me down for months. I tried to do some things to keep some fitness. I got a bike, I joined the gym, but where the rubber meets the road, I continued to eat like I was marathon training. The weight slowly crept on and I had gained 20 pounds over about 6 months.

Off and on over the past couple of years, I've sporadically exercised. I've done stints on the bike for a few months. I've laced up my shoes and run for periods. The effort has never been consistent and the results have always been frustrating. My lack of fitness made exercise uncomfortable. I couldn't seem to get it through my thick skull that I had gained weight and couldn't run as fast or as long. And because I never really watched my diet the weight just kept creeping up. The exercise wasn't giving the results I wanted and I gave up.

So here I am 40+ lbs heavier than marathon weight. I've actually lost 10+ lbs meaning at one point I was 50 lbs heavier, putting me squarely in the obese BMI category. I've laced up the shoes again and started building the mileage. This time it feels different. This time I know that I'm a fat runner. I know that I'm not going to knock out easy runs with the same ease and at the same pace as the guy who was 155 lbs. Most importantly I know my body has limited calorie needs. My foot might break down again at some point and I may be forced to take off the shoes once again, but the days of chasing down 3 hot dogs with 3 beers on a regular basis are over.

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    ive never been a runner. 2 days i started the c25k program. i didnt think it would be that much different in the way i feel after a spin class or aerobics class...MAN WAS I WRONG!!! lol...im sooooo sore
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    ME TOO!! :grumble:
  • GoneWithTheWhinge
    GoneWithTheWhinge Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well done on bouncing back and getting back into running! I hope you continue to find it rewarding yet challenging as you get back up to your goals.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I feel you! But atleast you are recognizing that you need to take it slow and easy to avoid injury..that is something! Good luck with your journey!
  • mama2daboyz
    mama2daboyz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate to you! I was never fast enough to qualify for Boston, but in 2004, just before I got pregnant with my first child, I ran the Long Branch Marathon in New Jersey. Since then, after having two children (key word is AFTER, because I gained less than 15 lbs in each pregnancy, and lost those 15 lbs within the two weeks the boys were born), I've gained 50 lbs.

I'm ever slower than I was before, barely pulling off a 13 minute mile--almost 4 minutes slower than my average mile when I ran my first marathon. When I lift my 3-year-old, who is 40 lbs, or when I carry him for any extended amount of time, I realize what this weight is doing to my body and I need to get it off!

Keep running, my friend! Let's get this weight off! I hope to be one of those senior runners in marathons when I'm in my 70's!!!!!
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Qualifying for and running Boston is HUGE!! You know what you did and you know you can do it again!! Give time, time. You don't want to injure yourself and put yourself out of the game. I've never actually run a marathon, myself. I went directly from (50+) road half marathons to the trail 50K distance. I just never had the desire to pound out 26 miles on the road. I have a lot of friends that live for the marathon and have run Boston as well. Take it easy, lose the weight and you will be back at it in no time!! :drinker:
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you for accepting all that. It's hard to do. I can understand, not that I was a marathon runner. I used to run a lot though. I just loved the feeling I got from running and the time I was able to veg out on the pavement. I also was a dancer. Then I injured my hip. It hasn't been the same since.I knew how important it was to watch my eating because I always struggled with being on the heavier side. But I also know I'm an emotional eater, which get's the best of me sometimes. I get frustrated when I can't do as much or have to stop and that's when I gain. MFP has really helped me release some of this madness. I'm being held accountable and when I'm feeling emotional, I write it out. And seeing the numbers helps too, just as long as I log in consistently.

The other day I was watching Extreme Makeover Weighloss Edition. What an inspiration! The woman did a half marathon at 250+ pounds. Good luck to you and don't give up!
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    <
    Fat Runner too

I started running almost a year ago at ~350lbs, currently at 274lbs and run about a 13:30 mile. Im training for my first 1/2 marathon in October!

Good for you for getting back out there and taking on the challenge!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Not only am I a fat runner, I managed to slip into the obese category while training for the London Marathon! Hoping to get back to my fighting weight for a half in October.

Good luck on your journey back from injury to full fitness.
  • rogertucker
    Options
    @500lbsToMarathon Stories like yours are always the most inspirational to me. My 50lbs of weight gain pales in comparison. I met a guy a year ago who went from 350lbs to Ironman. In my opinion you've already started the hardest part. Marathon training and the sense of accomplishment on completing 26.2 miles will be icing on the cake for years of hard work.
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You all are inspiring me!! Thank you.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The eating habits I picked up when marathon training still dog me today. Running is a great way to stay fit. But distance running requires more food. Something easy to get used to, and if the miles taper back after the event or if training gets interrupted, those eating habits can really cause the pounds to creep up.

New day for you - congrats on regaining your momentum!