People Telling you to Stop Losing Already

my younger sister has always been smaller then me in weight we are about the same height she is 4ft 11in and I am 5ft even I have been over weight for as long as she can remember I am now down into the 140's and she has been gaining as is now in the 150's the last few times I have seen her she is constantly telling me that I am not going to lose anymore pounds I am as skinny as my body is going to allow and I need to just start toning I just got into the overweight section on the bmi chart my goal is only 125lbs which is the high end of the chart for normal. is she correct or is she just jealous and trying to make me not lose anymore weight?

Replies

• rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Drop some pics
  • work_on_it
    work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
    At some point it won't really be about the scale - it'll be about health and fitness. If you're getting close to your goal then you'll prob want to start some lifting to tone your muscle.

Don't get hung up on the weight... and don't get hung up on her vision for you. You got this!
  • NightShadeMary
    NightShadeMary Posts: 16 Member
    Judging from your pics, I think you're doing fine. As others have said, it's not always about the number on the scale, but also about how you feel. If you're feeling healthy and you want to keep working for 125, that is a decision for you to make, not your sister. I agree with everher: I wouldn't jump to saying she's jealous. She may be genuinely concerned, but you're the one in your body.

As a side note, keep in mind that BMI charts are helpful, but I don't take them as gospel. I'm 5'9" with a lot of muscle. According to "the charts" my ideal weight range is 128 to 168. Several years ago I was 190 and in great shape. I don't even know if I can make it to 168 without looking sick. Stick to what makes you feel healthy!
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Keep going!
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    You look fantastic!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I've found that the worst people to get input from are the people who know and love me most. Doesn't stop them from giving it, unfortunately, but I can always grit my teeth change the subject. That's been my experience.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    If you're losing and she's gaining, I would definitely say she's jealous. Keep up the good work. :)

(Uh, not in making her jealous. In losing the weight you'd like to lose. :p)
  • peterbuller8
    peterbuller8 Posts: 155 Member
    Keep it up your doing a great job
  • brookekaczor
    brookekaczor Posts: 59 Member
    Keep up the good work and keep heading towards your goal....
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    edited July 2017
    kksmom1789 wrote: »
    my younger sister has always been smaller then me in weight we are about the same height she is 4ft 11in and I am 5ft even I have been over weight for as long as she can remember I am now down into the 140's and she has been gaining as is now in the 150's the last few times I have seen her she is constantly telling me that I am not going to lose anymore pounds I am as skinny as my body is going to allow and I need to just start toning I just got into the overweight section on the bmi chart my goal is only 125lbs which is the high end of the chart for normal. is she correct or is she just jealous and trying to make me not lose anymore weight?

Why are these the only options? Can't she be wrong without having a bad motivation (jealousy)? Maybe she's so used to seeing you heavier that you look unnaturally thin to her now (this is very common). Maybe she's just picked up a lot of woo on the Internet about what people's bodies will "allow."

*Edited to fix quote formatting.
  • Neurotic22
    Neurotic22 Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2017
    You look amazing, well done!

She may be jealous, but even if she's not I've noticed that people -especially slightly heavier people- often misjudge weight. If I lost a lb every time someone told me I was "too skinny to lose" when I was a good 20lbs overweight, or estimated me to be lighter by a vast amount!
    Just keep going, you will know in yourself when you have reached your goals - not to say a bit of lifting wouldn't make you look/feel even better!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    Yep, she is insecure, jealous, and full of *kitten*.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    I agree with everyone else - don't listen to your sister.

I'm your same height. I started at around 155 and I'm now at 106. That's just with a calorie deficit, I haven't made any real effort at toning yet so her comment is just wrong. Your progress is amazing, so if you want to lose more, I think you absolutely can just by continuing to do what you're doing. Yes, it's harder to lose weight the more you've already lost, but that doesn't mean it's impossible, it just may be a bit of a slower process. You may have to recalculate your calorie goal because of your weight loss, but otherwise, you seem to be doing fantastic and I think you shouldn't let any negative comments dissuade you.