Just jogged a mile!

Options
I've never been a runner, but I've always wanted the ability to run. I started C25K 2ish weeks ago, doubling up on all of the workouts-meaning I do each workout twice before moving on-and working out 6x per week, not only the recommended 3x. (I will clarify here that I am actually in better shape than just a beginner, but my lungs/body have just never really gotten the hang of running) Anyway, I've been going away from home with the walk/run&warmup/cool down- then returning home walking on my own time. I did that earlier today-leaving my dog at home due to the heat. Just now, because it had cooled down, I took my dog for a run around the neighborhood, a path that I know is just over a mile. And I ran(ok, jogged) the whole way!!! My lungs are finally getting the hang of this. Woo!

Replies

• lindarpolk
    lindarpolk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's terrific!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Congrats running is hard super accomplishment
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    way to go! I just started C25k and was thinking about doubling up on the the workouts (but only doing 3 per week). a mile is a great accomplishment!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Congrats on your first mile. C25k is recommended to be completed as written, with repeats, but not doubling up. There is not particular benefit to doubling up and lots of risks of increasing your running time and frequency too fast. It may not seem a big deal because the first 2 weeks have a lot of walking. But it is recommend to have one rest day in between each run day for good reasons, mainly to help prevent injury. You are a beginner at running even though you have good fitness in other areas. Please reconsider your schedule.
  • KiraChristiansen
    KiraChristiansen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Congrats on your first mile. C25k is recommended to be completed as written, with repeats, but not doubling up. There is not particular benefit to doubling up and lots of risks of increasing your running time and frequency too fast. It may not seem a big deal because the first 2 weeks have a lot of walking. But it is recommend to have one rest day in between each run day for good reasons, mainly to help prevent injury. You are a beginner at running even though you have good fitness in other areas. Please reconsider your schedule.

This is exactly why I put that disclaimer in there- 6 days/week of intense activity is my *normal* level of activity-even if running is not. I am an ex-gymnast and dancer (both are high-impact activities) used to closer to 8hours, 6days/week-admittedly, these are anaerobic activities, which is why I am doing C25K, not just attempting to run. I know how to listen to my body's cues, and thus far, my body is pretty happy with the routine. I'd be the first whining and crying (and cutting back) if my body decided it was too much. Knowing ones limits is trained into dancers. I will also point out here that C25K was not the beginning of building up my aerobic capacity- 5-6 days/week on the elliptical at the gym took care of that.

I appreciate and thank you for your concern, and understand where it it coming from, however I hope this eases your mind that I am not the target audience for these types of concerns.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!