Just started but I'm having trouble already.

Options
Hi! I've just started my journey a little less than a week ago. I've lost 5 lbs so far.... a pound a day. But as each day passes I am having trouble staying focused or having the motivation to successfully complete my exercises. In the mornings, after I weigh myself and see that I'm still losing, I feel fantastic but by the end of the day I just feel BLAH and that is when I mostly crave comfort foods and I sometimes give in. Is this normal??? How can I fix my weaknesses?

Replies

• Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am focusing on building healthy habits and routines so that the practice of being healthy carries me through the tough times.

The weight loss you are seeing is probably going to slow. I lose about a pound a week, which is my goal. 1-2 pounds is healthy and sustainable.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by blah? Emotionally tired, physically? When do you exercise.. in the morning when you feel most energetic. I'm a morning person, I'm most productive and energetic in the morning, by 8pm I'm usually in bedtime mode. Are you feeling bored in the evening and maybe that has you reaching for snacks?
  • AliciaMcGee
    AliciaMcGee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So is it normal for me to have off days where I do fall behind? I mean most days I do great staying on track but some days I just tend to let go of what I've been working for. Not that it really hurts me too bad by the end of the week, but when I "cheat" it makes me feel worse than I did before.
  • Curlyredhead
    Curlyredhead Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Find simple things to do that make you happy. Paint your nails, read something that excites you, appreciate the simple beauty around you like the sunset or the pretty flower you just walked by. Pleasant distractions from food is what helps me.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    5lbs a week is pretty aggressive. It's safe to assume most of that is initial water weight.

What is alarming is that you are already fizzing out when you've been going only a week, even if it's only at night. Weight loss essentially becomes a lifestyle change, and most will say that maintenance is even harder. Start developing habits that are sustainable. What are your stats and what is your calorie goal set to? It could be that you're just not eating enough, which is common when people start out because they're excited and motivated to get started.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Are you being too restrictive in the type of food you're trying to eat? A lot of people find when they try to adhere to some perfect way of eating they quickly fail as its simply too unrealistic. You also talk about doing your exercises every day - this isn't necessary for weight loss (a good idea for health but certainly still not needed every day) I know when I over train it knocks all willpower out of me, rest days are important for your health.

When you refer to "cheating" is it slipping off this new healthier way of eating or are you going over your calorie allowance? If this is the case even within the first five days then you may have selected a rate of loss that is too aggressive.

Weighing every day is helpful for some people (I am included in that) but if you use it for motivation you are quickly going to find that you don't lose consistently (once the initial water weight stops dropping which will be what your 5lb loss from this first week is) - some days the scale will even go up. If this is going to completely dead motivate you then you may want to think about how often you weigh in.
  • xxkaylamae93
    xxkaylamae93 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If its not normal then I guess I'm not normal, either! I always want more food. Sometimes I eat it and go over my goal (1520 right now, I think?). Its not the end of the world. Just dont do it every day and try to keep it minimal if you need an extra snack. I like prepackaged stuff (Hot Cheetos) for that. And popsicles!

If you go to your Goals and set it to 'maintain' instead of 'lose', you can see what your maximum amount of calories for the day are. Stay below that and you will keep losing. Just slower than you could. I have my goal set at a pound a week and if I have to snack after I've used my calories, I go and set it to half a pound and get close to two hundred calories extra.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I've set my goal to lose 1 pound a week. Either work out in the morning when you're enthusiastic, or take an evening 30 minute walk instead of grabbing comfort foods. A moderate or brisk walk usually perks me up. Drink more water, that really helps a lot. Dehydration makes you feel tired and hungry.
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to define "cheat". When I was on WW I would feel that way. It kind of felt shameful, which would derail me.

There is no shame in what you eat. But some things aren't healthy and need to be more restricted. Or for me, string cheese is a total trigger, so we just can't have it at all.