Best to eat after cardio?

Options
I know protein is good for after strength training, but is it the same for cardio? Or should we be eating something else? And how long after?

Replies

• portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    don't eat anything for an hour after cardio for weight loss.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna eat any carbs thats the best time to eat them is right after you do cardio, if it's hot "food" type of carbs such as a baked yam your body will be able to burn it up and use it for fuel.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I just eat whatever. :} Maybe he's right, but I mean... Protein is still your best bet, I would think. Your muscles were still working!
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    bump.
    I really want to know a good answer for this too!.
    Really no protein after cardio if aiming for weight loss. I always have a low cal High protein Shake after my work out. :(
    It really helps me get my protein in the day too
  • portexploit
    Options
    Anytime you eat it prevents Liolysis. Eating haults your ability to burn fat.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Good to know!
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    I drink vi shape nutritional shakes after workout whether I do cardio, weight training, or both!! 12 grams of protein, and delicious!!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have some protein and carbs, been doing it since day one! which is a turkey sandwich on white bread :D
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    True. Also, fasting before a workout is honestly the best way to take advantage of this process. Ideally, you would like the body to use its triglycerides (AKA what your body stores as the jiggly stuff on your body) as energy in order to shrink the triglycerides thus making you more lean. This process should be done by fasting before a workout, because your body will have already begun this process the moment you walk out the door to work out.
    Secondly, eating after working out is great if you follow this kind of regimen. I do this and find that my hunger levels stay lower throughout the day because my body is already understanding to use triglycerides instead of muscle. Carbohydrates (AKA glucose AKA your blood sugar level) will always be utilized for energy first, no matter what.
    Just be careful: if you do avoid eating after working out, or for long periods of time, when your body uses triglycerides (remember, jiggly stuff) for energy, ketones can be released which raise the acidity in your blood. After awhile, your body will get feverish or cold (temperature gauging is off), excessive thirst and you won't feel quite right. This can be toxic. So just be careful, and look things up! :)
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Also, forgot to mention: for every gram of fat, it is equal to 7 (I believe) calories (in and out, meaning how much energy it is for your body to run off of). Every gram of protein and carbohydrate is only 4. Imagine how much more alert and energetic you would be if you used triglycerides (fat) for energy! Just not all the time.. please. Those ketones.
  • portexploit
    Options
    True. Also, fasting before a workout is honestly the best way to take advantage of this process. Ideally, you would like the body to use its triglycerides (AKA what your body stores as the jiggly stuff on your body) as energy in order to shrink the triglycerides thus making you more lean. This process should be done by fasting before a workout, because your body will have already begun this process the moment you walk out the door to work out.
    Secondly, eating after working out is great if you follow this kind of regimen. I do this and find that my hunger levels stay lower throughout the day because my body is already understanding to use triglycerides instead of muscle. Carbohydrates (AKA glucose AKA your blood sugar level) will always be utilized for energy first, no matter what.
    Just be careful: if you do avoid eating after working out, or for long periods of time, when your body uses triglycerides (remember, jiggly stuff) for energy, ketones can be released which raise the acidity in your blood. After awhile, your body will get feverish or cold (temperature gauging is off), excessive thirst and you won't feel quite right. This can be toxic. So just be careful, and look things up! :)

I never heard of ketones being acidic. Your workout determines which system would be used lactate acid or the aerobic system. Lactate acid burns glycogen mostly, aerobic system burns mostly fat. No reason for the body to use carbs after it’s done exercising, it won’t burn much glycogen, It won’t put you in ketosis. High intensity exercise for a long time will produce ketones. What I am saying is that not eating after your workout won’t put you in ketosis. You’d be in ketosis from the exercise not from not eating.
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    One simple rule I like to follow is this:

Carbohydrates fuel our bodies! Carbohydrates are the main nutrient that fuels exercise of a moderate to high intensity, (such as HIIT training)while fat can fuel low intensity exercise for long periods of time.

Proteins are generally used to maintain and repair body tissues, and are not normally used to power muscle activity. They do help rebuild muscle wear and tear...so if you were to eat anything directly after a workout, may I suggest a fast digestive protein such as a protein shake.

There are many takes on this, but this is what I have followed as a rule of thumb.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I often workout to such extremes that in my 45 minutes of blasting my body fat, I can end up feeling light headed and nauseous afterwards...but this is alleviated by a simple protein shake or some shakeology afterwards. I've never experienced a halting of my fat loss from having it afterwards, either. So for me, it doesn't seem to affect fat loss, and it keeps me from passing out, lol.
  • jackiemonx
    jackiemonx Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    hi
    ive studied nutrition......you need a small amount of carbs and protein in the first hour after ur workout to help your body refuel and repair.
  • darthjen
    darthjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    "it’s better to eat after a workout because exercise is one of the few ways to improve your nutrient partitioning.

huh? nutrient partitioning is, in a way, “choosing” where your food goes. exercise betters the chance that instead of being stored as fat, your calories are used as fuel and stored in muscle tissue.

why should you do it? as fitnessuncovered.com says,

…choosing to place more of your daily calorie intake right after the workout is a very smart technique if you want to change your body composition, bringing your body fat percentage down a notch."
  • zeroblackstar
    zeroblackstar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The best time to go for a run or do some cardio is in the morning. You've technically been fasting over night and by doing cardio in the morning without eating first you will capitalize on the fat burn. When you've finished your cardio your body will continue to burn fat for a good hour afterwards so it's up to you if you want to wait before eating. A protein shake can really help you out and help with recovery, so not a bad idea.

I personally find that supplementing with Creatine about an hour before really helps me get the most out of cardio and reduces aches and pains.

If you really go for it your blood sugar will get very low and you'll get symptoms of hypoglycemia (light headed, feeling weak, nausea etc).

If you eat, then do some cardio you'll be burning that food off, not fat. Which isn't a very effective strategy.

But each to their own, find out what works for you and your lifestyle and stick to it.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    bump
  • strongissexy1
    Options
    bump
    good info thanks!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I normally drink coconut water or just water after cardio. Then after an hour, I'll eat something.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I usually eat an hour before, do my workout, then wait an hour before eating.