Body Pump - who's done it?

Options
Hey Y'all! I am thinking about doing body pump at my local gym. I am always scared to do anything with weights/squats because I am afraid of getting bulky legs. What are your thoughts? Should I do it?

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    DO IT!! I love Body pump! Just lighten your weights if you are worried about it on the legs tracks. More than likely, unless you build muscle in your legs quickly, you won't bulk up from it.
  • dlangenfeld
    dlangenfeld Posts: 119
    Options
    Do it! I love it! You won't get bulky legs unless you do tons of weights. I love Body Pump. It's a total body workout in an hour. Very efficient!!
  • misshayley1985
    Options
    Body Pump is good but the boot camp classes are better! Don't be scared of weights, use 10-15pds and do lots of reps. This actually HELPS you burn calories because it increases your heart rate. Burning more calories=great thing!!!
  • amybwila
    amybwila Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm with the rest of 'em- great workout...full-body. Group exercise keeps you honest, people notice if you don't show up!
    As far as legs- I've been doing this for 2yrs now (along w/ rpm/spin), treadmil and have not had a problem with bulking up!
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!! I used to do it a lot and I loved it. really good workout and it really does change your body so much! I wouldnt worry about bulking up, I did it 1-2x a week for about 2yrs and my friend did the same classes as me and she's been doing it for about 5 and neither of us were bulky, just toned

Go for it!

:flowerforyou:
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Body pump is awesome! The class is challenging but I love that it works out your entire body. It's resistance training so as long as you aren't loading up the weights too much you shouldn't have any problems with gaining bulkiness. Your form is very important so make sure you listen to the instructor's recommendations. Start with lighter weights at your first class as not to over-do-it. Good luck!
  • MaxineSmith
    Options
    Oh definitely do it. I go to a class at least twice a week and whilst I am noticeably becoming more toned and defined, there's no 'bulking'! It all comes down to the level of weights you use....the heavier the weight the more the muscles will develop. Lighter weights will tone.
  • GoneWithTheWhinge
    GoneWithTheWhinge Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I did 2-3 Pump classes a week for over a year, found they did make a real difference to my strength and body shape, I did develop some muscle definition and being in the class gave me that extra motivation to start with weights as I found the free weights area in the gym pretty intimidating. However I've now got to the point where I'm wanting to go to the next step and have started the New Rules Of Lifting for Women programme which has seem some huge gains in strength over just a few weeks so far.

As a woman, you cannot bulk up in the same way men do. You do not naturally produce enough testosterone to enable your muscles to become bulky, instead your legs will become stronger with your muscles defined and firm. Make sure you also have plenty of protein in your diet to help give your muscles the right supplies for them to recover.

Give Pump a try, but be prepared for your muscles to be a little sore after the first class. Stretch, stretch and drink plenty of water and keep moving, it's where your muscles have endured microscopic tears due to the exertion which they repair and make stronger. First go keep it light in the weights and get the technique right, a good instructor will be around the class correcting technique and will be able to advise you on suitable weight selection. Try a few classes before deciding that its not for you, once you get familiar with the routines (which change every 3 months) it gets easier!
  • ebs6778
    ebs6778 Posts: 8
    Options
    You guys are great! Thank you so much!