Any other tall ladies out there?

Options
I am 6'1" and have been working at this weight loss thing for a while now. I have managed to lose slightly over 100 lbs
but I still have a good ways to go in order to be a normal BMI. I am having a hard time conceptualizing what would be a good end-goal for myself. I have been overweight or obese for my entire adult life so I have never really experienced what it would be like to live in a normal weight body - also I don't know of many other 6'+ ladies to compare myself to!

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I'm not a lady, but congrats on your 100lb weight loss.
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yup, 6' 1/2" here!
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    In terms of deciding on what goals should be, I would toss the BMI chart out the window. It's a very narrow gauge that doesn't really work.
    For me, I am thinking back to a time in my life where I once felt comfortable in my body. For me, that was around 220 lbs.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you. I just started on June 18th, and I want to lose 115 pounds. I've lost 4 so far. I'm between 5'9 and 5'10. I want to get down to a size 6.
  • legzilla1
    legzilla1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also 6' to 6'1" and I'm aiming for 170, currently at 250
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 5'10/5'11, currently at 189, aiming for 170 by the end of summer :smile:
  • Nursesusie
    Nursesusie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1" and have been working at this weight loss thing for a while now. I have managed to lose slightly over 100 lbs
    but I still have a good ways to go in order to be a normal BMI. I am having a hard time conceptualizing what would be a good end-goal for myself. I have been overweight or obese for my entire adult life so I have never really experienced what it would be like to live in a normal weight body - also I don't know of many other 6'+ ladies to compare myself to!

I am 5'10. I gained 75lbs in 6 years and finally think I'm ready to get this weight off. I was 150 lbs before. Now I'm 215. If you are 6'1 my guess would be 150 to 180 lbs for a good goal. I have a niece who's 190 at her ideal weight and she is 6'5.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am 6 ft tall. I have been working at this for a few years but ideally I would like to see 180lbs.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hello! Not quite as tall as you, but am 5'10" and currently down to 168.6lbs, started at 183. Well done on losing 100lbs, that's amazing!

Your end goal is likely to change a few times as you find your definition of comfortable. If you exercise a lot with weights then your goal weight will be a bit higher, but if you do just cardio it'll likely be a bit lower. I'm currently aiming for 160lbs which will get my BMI down to 23, but I do a lot of weight training in the gym, and I am aware I will likely have to adjust that goal. Equally, I have a medium to large frame. If I was to aim for the weight (lets say 140lbs) of a small framed woman of the same height it likely wouldn't suit me.

What I'm trying to say it: Be careful when you compare as it's not just height you have to consider.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't think you have to decide a final goal until you get there. I am 5 ft 10 so 3 inches shorter. I know I want to be in bmi range which for me starts at 174, I know in high school I was slim at 138 so my goal in somewhere in there but I need to get fit and.lose fat to figure it out.
    But for now focus on continuing improvement
  • lisasaputo215
    lisasaputo215 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 so not that tall really but for me, I think about 185 would be OK. I was about 165 when I was 21 but I don't think that is very achievable. I have a long way to go though either way. Congrats on your loss - such hard work!
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8.5" - goal weight is 160. Was at that weight about 15 years ago so hoping to get back there.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    5'10", started at 248, now 186. I have a few different ways to judging where I want to be.

1. BMI. I do think it's valid for establishing a range. It's a wide margin, but I'm taking the top line on "healthy" seriously, if only so that future insurance physicals show me to be a low risk : 171.

2. Body fat: This is hard to measure accurately, but it can give a ball park. My first test said that 185 would put me into a normal body fat range--below 30%. I'll measure again when I cross that mark to see where I stand. I'd like to be within the healthy range, and pushing down toward the being fit and athletic.

4. Waist-height ratio: Studies have shown that health risks decline when your waist is half your height or less, which for me is 35".

4. Performance: I participate in various athletic events as a hobby. In the book, Racing Weight, the author provides a formula for determining your best weight for performance: 168.

Assuming my waist and BF measurements fall in line, I'm shooting for a range of 165-170. I'll adjust as needed when I get there.

This is my current goal. It's changed over time. That's ok. Take your best guess now, and adjust as you get closer.
  • lndjnklly2
    lndjnklly2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to be 5'11" but at 67 they tell me I am now 5' 9 1/2" I have a medium frame and 150 was my ideal weight in my late teens through my 20's. I got up to 225 my highest and now I am trying to lose the last 25 lbs. I am shooting for 160 and 158 to keep me at 160.
  • Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    5'8 here!
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    5'11". SW 230-240 (not exactly sure as I was bloated with water weight in my legs from a med). CW 179.

Right now I'm on the edge of being overweight according to BMI. At my thinnest and best shape as college athlete I was 135, very muscular but skeletal at the same time. In my adult life I felt my best at 150 lbs. Now I'm 35 yo and hoping for 160-165. So at least 14 more to go.
  • ngoziish
    ngoziish Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am 6'8'' and I am at 280lbs trying to get down to 245lbs. Oh wait, I am not a female :smile:
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ^^ Lol!

I'm 5'11 with a medium frame. I decided to focus on getting fitter, my measurements and reducing inches and body fat compared to the scale.

I just kept going until I was pretty happy with my body. Then I worked on tightening up my body.

This strategy worked well for me and I have been maintaining my 80+ pound loss for over 4 years.

Good luck to you all!
  • Ready2befithealthy
    Ready2befithealthy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    So helpful to see what you other tall ladies posted. I am 5’ 10” and I weighed 189. Currently I am 173 and my goal is 155. But it’s so crazy how things have changed. When I was in my 20’s I weighed at the top 132 and least 115. I was skin and bones. I think 155 will be fit and thin enough for me. That will make me a good size 6.
  • grumpopuppo
    grumpopuppo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm 5'10 and my current goal is 190lbs, down from 230lbs. Research BMI carefully before going whole hog with what it recommends for you, based on your height and the width of your bone structure. I recently discovered that depending on how small or wide set your 'frame' is, calculations can vary up to 10%. With those calculations in mind, 190lbs is a good weight for me.