strength training calories

Options
could anyone tell me why strength training is not calculated for calorie burn on the calories allowed page? I spend an hour in the gym, on the machines etc lifting, pulling and pushing, this must use up some calories......

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It is, search 'strength training' under cardio
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    ​Please see this article, and search for answers to Frequently Asked Questions and other helpful articles, on the MFP Help/FAQ pages...

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-
  • barneshall
    barneshall Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    thank you for the help
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I've found trying to record the calorie burn from strength training as a "why bother" thing; I dropped weight at the same rate whether I added back in an estimate or not.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    strength training isn't a high enough calorie burner to log.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I had a similar question to OP, and thanks to this thread and Cybertone's link I found the answer. But it did leave me wondering if there was any value in recording my strength training in MFP at all? I'm using a HR tracker to estimate my calorie burn during my weight sessions anyway. So is the strength training bit a complete waste of time?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    strength training isn't a high enough calorie burner to log.

Would you log 200 - 250 calories of food you ate?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I eat back half the calories MFP says I burn from strength training (I log it in the cardio section). I eat back 50% or more from calories burned through walking, and my weigh loss is slightly higher than it 'should' be according to MFP, but within the healthy guidelines for how much I'm trying to lose. In other words, until just today, I had more than 40 lbs to lose, had MFP set for 1lb/week and was losing on average at around 1.5. As of today, I'm less than 39 from goal, so I'll need to see how this week goes and if my rate of loss hasn't decreased, I'll probably go to eating 75% of my cardio calories and see what that does.