WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY SCALE?!!!

Options
On wednesday I weighed myself at the gym and I was 156.6
Today...Friday only 2 days later, I weigh myself at home and im 159.3

HOW?!!! NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!! I haven't done anything different...I didn't weigh myself any different...I havent eaten anything different...My cycle ended on Wednesday so its not bloating...

WTF!!!???

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options

HOW?!!! NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!! I haven't done anything different...I didn't weigh myself any different...I havent eaten anything different...My cycle ended on Wednesday so its not bloating...

WTF!!!???

Could be any number of things - water retention (from exercise, left over from your cycle, high sodium diet), could be excess food in your gut that hasn't yet passed. Unlikely to be fat unless you have exceeded your maintenance calories by 3500 a day each day.

Track over a longer term to see themes emerging and don't sweat day to day changes.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Did you go over your two days of calorie goals by 9500 calories? if not then its water and food weight and differences in the scales.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    First, make sure the batteries in your scale are ok. Then make sure it's not on carpet or tile.
  • ansmit4642014
    ansmit4642014 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    All scales are different. You have to consistently use the same one. Also my weight will be high for days and then drop for one day for no reason.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Relax! You will make yourself crazy. Use one scale, weigh yourself right when you wake up each time, and remember- weight can fluctuate about 5lbs on any given day.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    A fluctuation of less than three pounds in two days is not cause for concern, especially considering you used different scales.

This is water and the contents of your gi system. And, likely, the scales themselves. Don't worry, you're fine.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    Unlikely anything is wrong with your scale, they all differ slightly, don't expect the same results from different scales. Even on the same scale your weight fluctuates from day to day, bloating doesn't just occur during your period.

This is my last 7 days of weighing in exactly the same conditions, on the same scale:
    74d3c11dl7va.png

• ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    As mentioned in other posts, weigh at the same time of day if possible (I like the morning myself) and use the same scale.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Different scales, different conditions. Of course you weigh different. I'd be more shocked if you weighed the same.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My home scale and gym scale give different results, so I stick to using the one at home for consistent readings. The scale at the gym tends to read heavier, so I only jump on it now if I want to be depressed.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

WTF!!!???

How is this not doing anything different? Same scale, same time of day under same circumstances is the only way to do it, and you should still expect to see some fluctuations. This is why most people weight themselves first thing in the morning after doing their business in the toilet.

• phaliamfp
    phaliamfp Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had a scale (mind you it was the cheapest money could buy) that would give me different readings depending on where I stepped on the thing. I could move a foot forward an inch and gain 5 pounds.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    First, make sure the batteries in your scale are ok. Then make sure it's not on carpet or tile.

What are you supposed to weight yourself on? I only have carpet or tile
  • ngoziish
    ngoziish Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    All scales are not equal based on calibration. Did you weigh yourself naked or did you have clothes on? You always want to weigh in naked. Wearing clothes/shoes can change the reading on the scale. Other reason could be diet related/water retention. Stick to one scale.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I suspect they mean actual tile, as opposed to laminate. With a non-self-leveling scale, tile can be uneven and give inconsistent results.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options

I suspect they mean actual tile, as opposed to laminate. With a non-self-leveling scale, tile can be uneven and give inconsistent results.
    Ahh gotcha, Well I always have the scale in the same spot and weigh at the same time every day, so I should be good!
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You should stick to just one scale.. and weight preferable in the morning, naked and after you go to the bathroom... That weight you can track it better
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    1) You can only compare weights taken on the same scale. The gym scale and the home scale have different accuracies and precisions, as well as maybe having been calibrated slightly differently.

2) Even on the same scale, a 3 pound difference is not that big a difference and is within the tolerance (meaning accuracy and ability to be precise) of most home scales. Believe it or not, even when your scale CLAIMS to be telling you your weight to the nearest tenth of a pound? It's not actually that accurate. Many are only accurate to a few pounds at best.

3) Even if it REALLY IS a 3-pound difference, over two days that can be entirely down to different amounts of water stored in your tissues or different amounts of food in transit in your gut. It doesnt' MATTER if you 'didn't eat anything different,' because your body has to take it in, deal with it, and dispose of the excess.