Building Muscle At Home

Options
Hi All
So i want to build some muscle at home is this possible to do, and what equipment would i need.
With having children working out at the gym is pretty hard. but doing from home would be good.

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• BigMo2017
    BigMo2017 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've started using the UA results app for this very reason. Just like you, I find it hard to get the time to go to the gym because of my 2 year old. I have noticed an improvement by just doing push ups, tricep dips, sit ups, leg raises and planks.
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Poster above has it right. U can also add some dumbbells or resistance bands, too.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Your body is the weight and your world is your gym. Get creative. I have a pair of gymnastic rings hanging in my shop, a sledge hammer, an old tractor tire and some pvc bars for dips and pushups. You can see dramatic changes doing bodyweight exercises. I am currently do a 100 reps for 100 days body weight challenge so feel free to add me or message me for workouts or healthy meals. Best of luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible at home. You can do almost any gym program at home given the right equipment. Is there a specific type of resistance training that appeals to you? Examples: bodyweight/calisthenics, TRX, lifting weights (dumbbells or barbells)?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    For progressive strength I recommend Mark Lauren's You are Your Own Gym book and/or app. It is written for home work outs and uses little to zero equipment (I think he recommends a door mounted pull up bar but also describes other ways in which the exercises can be completed).

In a similar vein, I also hear good stuff about the Convict Conditioning book. And, Al Kavadro's You Tube tutorials could be used to build a home based, body weight, progressive strength routine.

Fitness Blender also have some videos that they describe as "Strength" which may be good to start with, but to be honest (and as much as I like their stuff) I think you will find that they do not provide the long term, progressive difficulty that you need to build strength and/or muscle.
  • govenderd1
    govenderd1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises and kettlebells. Some good "class" videos on YouTube
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises are great to start with. I started with an app called "sworkit" just for ease because it told me what to do. There are others or just google some calisthenics. Also dumbbells are amazing, there is a lot you can do with that, as well as kettlebells, and resistance bands. I do all my workouts from home. Hubby and I use dumbbells and resistance bands and follow Body Beast. The possibilities are endless!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I put together a very efficient home gym for cheap via Amazon. Squat racks (I have 2 sets, one just for squats, the other for everything else), bench, bar, plates, dumbbells, Kettlebell, stability ball and yoga mat. Look for a place called play it again sports that sells used gear.
  • pigheaded
    pigheaded Posts: 3,083 Member
    Options
    I did the same as she did, but bought from dicks sporting goods. Cheap and now have a room dedicated to my workouts. I find it's difficult to workout in a living room. To many distractions. But you can easily start with body weight or add a pair of dumbbells. Many many routines on YouTube to get you started.
  • nonnieSheila
    nonnieSheila Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Go on you tube. Jessica Smith has good beginner strength training workouts. Chris Freytag as well-she does a lot of good body weight exercises. I started with 3 and 5 lb weights, resistance band and a stability ball. Then added stuff as I got stronger
  • Schmitty_89
    Schmitty_89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Jilian Michaels dvds + dumbells = fat loss and muscle toning! <3 I used her 30 shred and it rocked! I started with lighter weights like 3lbs when doing the workout and when I wanted more of a challenge I went up to 5lbs, than 7.5 lbs. It is very possible to gain muscle without a gym membership. There are tons of muscle toning videos on youtube too which can help switch up your routine. Or when you bring your children to the playground, you could train on the monkeybars and whatever equipment is there. I used to climb the playground trees as part of my workout. <3
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    For progressive strength I recommend Mark Lauren's You are Your Own Gym book and/or app. It is written for home work outs and uses little to zero equipment (I think he recommends a door mounted pull up bar but also describes other ways in which the exercises can be completed).

In a similar vein, I also hear good stuff about the Convict Conditioning book. And, Al Kavadro's You Tube tutorials could be used to build a home based, body weight, progressive strength routine.

Fitness Blender also have some videos that they describe as "Strength" which may be good to start with, but to be honest (and as much as I like their stuff) I think you will find that they do not provide the long term, progressive difficulty that you need to build strength and/or muscle.

Body weight exercise has a stiff learning curve and it's totally worth the effort.

Similarly Kettlebells are small and convenient but likewise have a stiff learning curve.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I currently do barbell lifts at home, but I used to do great workouts with just kettle bells and some dumbbells. There are some GREAT exercises that can be done Witt no weights (think 1-leg squats, push-ups, burpees). Can you add lots of volume to your body without heavy lifting? No. Can you improve your body composition, "tighten up", lose weight (with a deficit as well), and look awesome? Absolutely. I worked out for years out home, without heavy weights, and got amazing progress.

Great advice above, just wanted to add my two cents. Get creative and push yourself. As long as you have discipline and get the food aspect down, you can absolutely change your body at home.