Will dancing help me lose weight?

Options
I just started going to LA Fitness and I love it but I like going to dance class more than using the treadmill or picking up weights. Has anyone ever lose a lot amount of weight just by dancing??

Replies

• rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Any kind of physical activity is good. The more you like to do it, the more likely you are to continue doing it! When I used to do Zumba, some girls in class would track their calories burned - you can burn a lot of calories in a dance class!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a lot of weight while either dancing or going to a Zumba class, but I sure am happy with these activities. Also, the exercise allows you to eat back some of the calories you expend, so you can eat a little more and continue to lose weight while eating fewer calories than you burn. Certainly, having fun is a great thing in and of itself!
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do something you love and the rest will follow. I lost a significant amount of my weight by dancing at first. As I got smaller, and increased my endurance and physical fitness, I added in running and strength training and yoga, etc etc But I started with dancing because it's something I absolutely loved/love. I've lost around 50lbs and now I weight lift AND still dance! :wink: If it moves you, do it!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Yes!

(Just pair with a calorie defecit and you're all set.)
  • Prettyhaitian0218
    Prettyhaitian0218 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    MzHill08 wrote: »
    Do something you love and the rest will follow. I lost a significant amount of my weight by dancing at first. As I got smaller, and increased my endurance and physical fitness, I added in running and strength training and yoga, etc etc But I started with dancing because it's something I absolutely loved/love. I've lost around 50lbs and now I weight lift AND still dance! :wink: If it moves you, do it!

You know what, I'm going to keep dancing since it's something that I love to do and I thank you very much for your kinda words. You're such an inspiration
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    CI < CO => weight loss
    (CI + dancing) < CO => weight loss.

For that matter,

(CI + golfing) < CO => weight loss.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Sure, of course! It burns calories so it helps maintain your deficit! I've done all of the Zumba and love them, but I think "Cize" is even more dance oriented if you enjoy it. I've never tried that one, but it sounds like fun.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yes, Zumba has helped me lose/maintain weight in the past! BUT it depends on the dancing type, how much effort you put in, and how much of a calorie deficit is being created overall.
  • nonnieSheila
    nonnieSheila Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found when I was doing Zumba I got much more toned. It really works your abs especially. I think any dancing where you're pretty much moving every part of your body on a regular basis is going to help. Then I started strength training to build some muscle
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Dancing has definitely toned me up (I am a ballroom dancer) but has had little influence on my weight. It is fun and it IS good for you in many ways (very good for your brain), but it can't be the only change you make. I do rely on diet and finding other exercise to do, especially since I can't dance every day, as much as I wish I could.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I also do ballroom dancing, and it is a great physical activity. And fun! Keep at it. You do you, just make sure your food consumption is below what you are burning and you will lose the weight just fine.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Holding all else steady, increasing your physical activity will definitely help with weight loss. One of my best friends and I went out dancing almost every weekend in 1999 and she lost a lot of weight and slimmed down significantly. Do what you love, and you will see a difference.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    CI < CO => weight loss
    (CI + dancing) < CO => weight loss.

For that matter,

(CI + golfing) < CO => weight loss.

Or, for that matter,

(CI + loafing on the couch) < CO => weight loss.