Daily carlorie distribution...

Options
1. Do you find it's better to distribute your calories evenly through the day or get more calories in the morning or what?

I find myself being light on calories in the beginning of the day and having to eat heavy in the evening due to not reaching my goals for the day. Honestly I don't feel to comfortable getting close to bed time and having to make up 200ish calories.

Recommendations?

2. Another concern that's been weighing on me. Exercise only adds to the calories that you can eat but doesn't do anything to some of the macros nutrients like sodium, carbs, fats, sugars, proteins and so on... Should I be readjusting those values as well?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you're consistently short on calories by evening, add a little more to breakfast or lunch or to a snack. Even a glass of milk with breakfast would bump it up a bit.

Personally, my biggest meal of the day is in the evening, and that hasn't had any effect on my progress.
    2. Another concern that's been weighing on me. Exercise only adds to the calories that you can eat but doesn't do anything to some of the macros nutrients like sodium, carbs, fats, sugars, proteins and so on... Should I be readjusting those values as well?

Exercise doesn't add to the sodium, but it does add to the carbs, fat, protein, fiber, etc.
  • mon_cherie
    Options
    It does change the value for fat, protein, etc. Look at an empty day vs a day you've exercised and you'll see it.

About distribution though - plan your day the night before (incl. snacks if you need to.) Eat a higher protein, higher fiber breakfast, a morning snack, lunch, 1-2 afternoon snacks, then dinner. If you plan it all out in advance you'll know where you need to add calories. Mind you, I don't do this (I seem to do okay in the distribution party) but I have friends who do for the reason you're saying.

Good luck!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I find I do better if I plan the exercise and meals either the night before or first thing in the morning that way I know what I need to eat and when... I tend to do better with a big breakfast a decent lunch and a light dinner although it doesn't always work out that way. When you exercise and add calories it DOES add to your fats and carbs and proteins too... it does NOT add to your sodium, cholesterol, etc because those things are a little different.
  • QuestForFitness
    Options
    TECHNICALLY, you should be eating your largest meal of the day at breakfast. Some people find that difficult if they aren't used to eating large meals in the morning, so if that's you'd I'd suggest you break it up into morning/midmorning meals so you can get all your calories in. Don't skimp on snacks, either. Having a snack between each meal will help you to stay satisfied so you don't binge. For a 1200 calorie diet I would distribute calories (ideally) at 400-450 at breakfast, 100 snack, 350ish at lunch, 100 snack, 300 at dinner.

As for your second question, that's a really good point. I'm not sure exactly, but I would recommend at least getting a little more protein and sodium in after a workout to help you recover. Someone more qualified would have to answer that one! Good luck!
  • ceeshelman
    ceeshelman Posts: 77
    Options
    Everyone is different, of course, but there is research that says working out right after you get up will burn more fat calories than if you do it later in the day where you have to burn through food calories first before you get to burning fat calories. Also, eating bigger and having higher carbs in the morning is better than doing it at night where you would just be sleeping on your calorie intake. Eating something every 3 to 3.5 hours keeps your blood sugar levels from dipping drastically at any point in your day, causing symptoms of hunger, tiredness, mood swings, etc. Finally, for the best fat loss, research has shown that eating needs to end around 6pm (if you have a traditional sun up to sun down kind of lifestyle. Nocturnal workers are in another world.

I wouldn't worry too much about the nutrients attributed to extra food unless of course your are eating 600 workout calories of potato chips around 10pm. The sodium in that would be significant and unhealthy overall. In general it is wise to keep the protein/carb/fat balanced. This is were dissent really occurs amongst dieters. What is the best ratio. Frankly, I give myself some protein/carb and fat at every meal including snack (a la the Zone Diet). This keeps my metabolism burning steady.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I try and hit a 500-600 calorie breakfast, then go from there. Lunch is around 300-400, and dinner being around 200-300. My snacks are 200 each, and if I'm still hungry in the evening I try and keep it under 200. I usually mix up some Shakeology for that last one.