Cardio w/hoodie on to sweat more-yay or nay?

Options
Hey guys,
I'm female, 35. I'm overweight and have been doing cardio at the gym, I mix it up a bit but most often do 45mins (10 miles or so) on the stationary bike. I'm really trying to drop weight quickly, but not unhealthy. I've been told wearing a sweatshirt while working out to sweat more is a good idea. I understand this is water weight. Can anyone speak to this and offer advice on whether this approach is a good idea or not?

Side note/question: Good suggestions for post cardio/some weight lifting snacks, which are conducive to weight loss, but give me the nutrients I need?? Is fasting cardio better to burn fat??

Thank you!!

Replies

• Hinkz81
    Hinkz81 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing with it being water weight, if I'm consuming lots of water during the day now, I'd think it was almost pointless...but I like to have advice. I'm thinking that trying to work out on an empty stomach (or at least a few hours after eating) will give me more results.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    For your side note question. Before a workout some people drink something with caffeine in it. After some have a protein shake.
    I used to drive to Popeyes after working out. Yea, that was a mistake. Point is you will be hungry after working out. Have something high protein ready.
  • Hinkz81
    Options
    When a trainer at the gym suggests it, I suppose it makes you question it. Hence the reason I'm asking the fitness community.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your goal should be to lose fat. Sweat is not melting fat. It's water, salt, probably some dirt and other shmutz. Increasing how much you sweat should not be a goal.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Water weight is not real weight. Goal should be to lose fat gain muscle. Extra sweat and heat exhausting makes it harder to work out and more dangerous so hurts the goal of lose fat gain muscle.fyi I am on the bike at gym now doing my cool down o am wearing sportsbra,shorts,sneakers.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to make weight for some sort of event it makes sense. Other than that it just seems miserable and uncomfortable for no good reason.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work with the exercise!!! However, a hoodie? Just NO. Why would you want to sweat MORE? Loosing water weight wont do any good in the long run.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I enjoy workingo in a sweatshirt or long sleeves sometimes, especially in the fall/winter and get a super nice sweat going. Makes me feel good being all sweaty and makes me look and feel leaner post workout because there is less water between the muscle and the skin.

I do fasted cardio mainly because I do not enjoy feeling heavy during a cardio session which is usually what I feel whenever I have a meal even up to 2 hours before training. I also do fasted morning cardio because my insulin levels will have dropped over night which do no inhibit the fat oxidation during my cardio. I generally do longer low intensity fasted cardio sessions.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Just track your calories and do some moderate workout. You'll be able to lose 1-2 lb per week if you're trying to lose fat. It's not going to go any faster than that so just track everything, make adjustments as necessary and you'll get there eventually. The only way to get more 'burn' in the gym is to WORK HARDER. Wearing a sweatshirt won't burn any more calories. Doing HIIT, mixing in weights, spending more time working out, etc., are the only ways to increase calorie burn. An alternative to working harder at the gym is to eat fewer calories.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    For your side note question. Before a workout some people drink something with caffeine in it. After some have a protein shake.
    I used to drive to Popeyes after working out. Yea, that was a mistake. Point is you will be hungry after working out. Have something high protein ready.

You may not be hungry after, I struggle with food after a cardio session, just not hungry and the more intense the exercise the longer it is before I feel like eating. I take a pre-workout on heavy lifting days, trying to time it so that it kicks in as I get to my heaviest sets. If I've just lifted I'll usually find I'm starving so I'll have a huge lunch (I workout in morning) based around a protein with salad and some kind of carb (today I had smoked salmon fillet with griddled sweet potato slices and salad). If I'm struggling to eat (or still hungry thanks to lifting) then I'll make a protein shake with almond milk and frozen berries (really nice in this hot weather) so I'm getting the calories and some protein and nutrients in even though I can't handle actual food.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, unless you want to work yourself up into possibly passing out.

Also, I dunno if you already do it or not, but I'd add some lifting in there. Building muscle will burn more calories and the fat seems to melt off. Also, if you're up for it, do high intensity intervals on cardio. That is said to be the best at spiking metabolism. SO even if you only do ten minutes, alternate pushing yourself to 7 or 8 out of 10 (on the scale of effort) with lower intensity (3 or 4 effort) every other minute. Good luck
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly.

That's dangerous.
  • Hinkz81
    Options
    That's kind of what I thought, but I have heard a few opinions. The gym I go to, which is a huge chain, suggested it. By gym I mean the trainer there. Thanks for the advice.