Quitting pop.

Options
I find it so hard to stop drinking pop. Ever since I was a kid I drink at least three bottles of Mountain Dew a day. I don't like the taste of anything else and I know it's unhealthy for me. I've tried several times to stop, but end up going back to it. I always turn to it whenever I am stressed out (which is frequently) Currently, I am making it so I have no access to pop in my house and I keep unsweetened tea around so I don't get headaches.. but I can just sit here and think about how bad I want a pop. Anyone have any advice that helps them with this... issue?

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I drink diet. Gallons and gallons of the stuff.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I drink diet. Gallons and gallons of the stuff.

Me too. At least a 750ml bottle of Diet Coke a day.
  • ataraxial
    ataraxial Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I LOATHE diet soda. I think it tastes terrible!
  • ataraxial
    Options
    I'd rather stick to tea.. but it doesn't make me want a pop any less.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Two choices (if diet isn't an option)

1. Cut it out
    2. Make it fit in your calories for the day

This.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Also try Diet Dr. Pepper. This changed my opinion of diet soda.

+1 for this too.

I don't know how they get so much flavor into a diet soda. It astounds me to this day. :lol:

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Also try Diet Dr. Pepper. This changed my opinion of diet soda.

Guess what I'm drinking right now. ;)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    What size mountain dew are you drinking? I started buying the mini cans of soda when I buy it (which isn't that often). Most of those are just 90-110 calories or so. If you really want the mountain dew then just limit the amount you can have each day and only drink what fits into your calorie goal. You do not have to completely cut it out.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Is it the fizz? The caffeine? The sugar? My husband loves the fizz, but wasn't as attached to rest of it, so he switched to drinking club soda. It took a few months to adjust, but he only occasionally drinks regular soda now.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Well seeing that diet is out, have you tried any of the carbonated waters? I know Walmart has their own brand along with many other chains.

I find that my desire from soda stems from wanting the carbonation and nothing more. So whenever I quit soda, I'd go for those.

The Clear American waters at WalMart are awesome. 50 cents for 32 ounces. I love the Mandarin Orange and the Key Lime. I drink 1-2 a day!
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I hate diet too. A few years ago I didn't drink any pop for 1 year straight. I just drank coffee in the morning and water all day. Now I will occasionally have one when out to eat and that's it. Just gotta break the habit.
  • ataraxial
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    What size mountain dew are you drinking? I started buying the mini cans of soda when I buy it (which isn't that often). Most of those are just 90-110 calories or so. If you really want the mountain dew then just limit the amount you can have each day and only drink what fits into your calorie goal. You do not have to completely cut it out.

I feel like I have to cut it out. I either drink it nonstop (I usually have a 24 oz bottle at all times) or not at all. I can't cut back. I always cave in. I usually quit drinking for a month then relapse. After the first day it's not so bad but eventually I think I can have one and it will be fine and then I go back to drinking it nonstop. I didn't realize how bad of an addict I am until I write it down lol.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Well seeing that diet is out, have you tried any of the carbonated waters? I know Walmart has their own brand along with many other chains.

I find that my desire from soda stems from wanting the carbonation and nothing more. So whenever I quit soda, I'd go for those.

IF she's getting headaches, that's caffeine withdrawal. Water(unless it's caffeinated...BTW that stuff is nasty) isn't going to help.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jaymijones wrote: »
    Is it the fizz? The caffeine? The sugar? My husband loves the fizz, but wasn't as attached to rest of it, so he switched to drinking club soda. It took a few months to adjust, but he only occasionally drinks regular soda now.

It's Mt Dew... It's the Caffeine... most of any regular soda on the market.
  • ataraxial
    Options

The Clear American waters at WalMart are awesome. 50 cents for 32 ounces. I love the Mandarin Orange and the Key Lime. I drink 1-2 a day!

I have tried several different waters.. I don't care for any flavored waters, but like I said, I don't mind unsweetened tea. I am just horrible with self-control.
  • ataraxial
    Options
    jaymijones wrote: »

I think it's the caffeine and the sugar. I legitimately feel completely different after I take a drink. It relaxes me and I use it to get away from stress.