Gluten free and eating out...any tips?

Options
Notsohot7
Notsohot7 Posts: 36 Member
Apologies in advance!!

I've looked for posts that already answer my question to save pestering everyone, but I might have missed it....no change there. Lol

I'm gluten intolerant and have struggled with the transition. I'm now getting on track.....and although I'm ok preparing meals at home....I tend to struggle more when I'm out.

Every time I've been invited to garden parties, BBQ's or......(especially).....the unplanned/unexpected extended days/evenings out....I'm lost at what to eat.

The last BBQ I was invited to.....My friends forget about my allergies and this caused a lovely stinker of a screaming match at me (I sat there and let the host scream if you're wondering)....all I did was bring my own food as I was prepared this time, because there was no gluten free options......I bought alcohol to the party and I don't drink :D ..... (yes I'm not friends with her now).. :)

I'm out a lot....can't always plan how long I'm out for (some days), so I struggle and end up just grabbing what ever I can get hold of......not just to save issues if I'm with others...but because of lack of choices.

Any tips for those..... especially.... unplanned trips out. Thank you in advance

Replies

• 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    think of things that are naturally gluten-free, such as nuts, seeds, rice, corn, fruit, veggies. i picked-up a bag of pre-washed and cut green beans the other day with a huge label on the front "GLUTEN FREE" *smh*
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If you still enjoy some good carbs, rice and potatoes are the way to go. Many restaurants now have a gluten-free portion of the menu, or list that gluten-free options are available, like GF buns, etc. If you're at a BBQ, then I'd eat a hot dog or hamburger without the bun, potato salad, corn on the cob, veggies, fruit. You could always ask the hostess ahead of time, "Is there anything I can bring?" or "Can I contribute a side?" (Hopefully she wouldn't yell at you :-O ) Then make a GF free option, like a bean salad or something.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You, as a guest, were screamed at by the host? Wow. Civility is dead. I'm used to people being A-holes in the relative anonymity of the online world, but I guess more and more it's seeping into real world interactions as well. Yikes.

Why would this person feel the need to scream at you just because you brought your own food? I can't even imagine how/why someone could experience that level of butthurt over something so trivial. That person needs a mental health intervention. Or is there more to this story? You called it a "screaming match." Were you participating in it, too? :s
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Here's my advice. There is almost always something I can eat when I'm at someone else's home - even if it's just from the vegetable tray or a fruit salad or something. I have actually never been to a party where there was nothing I could eat. I'll eat a burger without a bun, potato salad, vegetables, whatever. Just skip all the gluten stuff. But if I think (maybe from past experience) that there might not be much there for me, I either ask if I can bring a dish to share or I eat before I go. Don't complain or draw attention to yourself, and most people won't even notice. And if it's going to be a really big deal, and you know it will be awkward or uncomfortable (like screaming and stuff), you can always just decline those particular invitations. :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I always bring my own food. My health and safety are more important than someone getting their feelings hurt. Then again, my allergy is so severe, cross contamination will land me in the ICU on a ventilator.
  • Notsohot7
    Options
    Thank you, all these tips are brilliant. Can't believe I never even thought, how silly am I.

No I was sat there and watched her scream at me and storm off.......I heard her say to my other friend 'look she has f**king brought her own food' and in front of the kids too......but we all been friends long time and she knew I was gluten intolerant.........but the host thought I was making it all up and trying to get attention and saying I'm apparently boring because I don't drink alcohol.......(if anything she was after attention).. I choice not to drink for my reasons, but I had my kids with me....and they did too.

I was trying not to bring attention to myself....eating 'in secret', lol.....eating grapes and drinking juice......But the host was in a very bad mood and was taking it out on me. I'm not the type of person to get involved so let her scream it out...lol. The screaming match started then with another guest joining in lol. In the end the host was kicking everyone out :D ....should of videoed it. But it was embarrassing and I haven't been to any friends outings since this, as she tends to host nearly 98% of them. A few weeks after this I found out I was pregnant and I seen the host, but she never apologised to anyone...was told by her bestie that she was under a lot of stress at the time and that's why she was screaming......
  • GailK1967
    GailK1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My kids are coeliac so eating out can be a mission. We choose to host rather than attend BBQs because cross contamination even from utensils will land my lot in hospital. If we have to go we take safe options but I'm like a hawk to make sure the Coeliacs ate served first before cc can occur and that they get some of the GF food I brought.

Restaurants are another matter. I phone ahead and check options are available. If not I find an alternative place and suggest we go there. That way at the event no fuss needs to be made and the Coeliacs can eat without any drama. Mine are teens now and very self conscious so loathe attention being drawn to their issues but also find it hard to smile and say no thanks if nothing safe is available. The only time we've been caught out was at a funeral where nothing was safe and I brought food for them but was told under no circumstances could it be consumed on the premises. Very hard day for us.
  • GailK1967
    Options
    What I've also found is that people are used to it now and as we have never been aggressive or made a fuss it's a big non event. Most now try to do some GF options and happily try our GF food.

Most salads can be made GF and I have several easy things like Lasagna that everyone loves that I can whip up and take to share. Desserts are easy. I always have stocks of snacks so that's easy too.
  • lexidanko14
    lexidanko14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For long days out or unexpected long days be sure to always have a healthy snack stashed in your car and/or bag. Something that you can just leave in there for a while, like a GF protein bar for example! If you already have a fave then that's great! For eating out at restaurants don't be afraid to substitute things because most restaurants will do it. If bread is a main part of the meal ask to substitute rice or more of the veggies or a side salad or a different side on the menu. As you can see there's many options! I think how you brought your own food to your friends cookout was awesome! It's YOUR body and you have complete control of what goes into it, especially when you have an allergy or intolerance. If she doesn't respect that then she can GTFO. :smile: I hope my tips help!
  • Notsohot7
    Options
    That would have been hard, shocked that they wouldn't have allowed the food under those circumstances. :'(

Thank you, I bought some GF bars today to try and will have some stashed. Thank you again for all your help :*

I have had a few issues when I politely say 'no thanks', too, when no safe options available. I was collecting a puppy for my mum, traveled over 200 miles by train and bless the lady she had made sandwiches and treats to welcome me and bagged stuff for me to take on the journey back home. I explained that I couldn't, told her and her daughter about what gluten was etc. But she said 'are you aloud sandwichs though'....
    I smiled and said 'no'.
    'What about biscuits'.....'and these cakes'.
    I felt so bad. She was looking hard for food and in the end her daughter said 'mum nothing here, she can't eat any of it'.
    She looked sad and asked 'would you like another cup of tea'
    Bless her
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    There's usually meat at a BBQ right? No veg or beans or potatoes, etc?
  • GailK1967
    Options
    Meat at a BBQ is OK if not marinated or coated in anything with traces of gluten, and cooked separately. I bring our own meat and aluminum foil to cook it on because shared cooking space will contaminate the GF food. Also I bring g our cooking utensils as contaminated servers/tongs are too dangerous.

These are the details that non aware people can get offended about. They get butthurt that we thing their cooking surfaces are dirty when the simple fact is a mere drop or crumb of gluten is absolutely poison to my kids and they end up in hospital on an IV drip for a week, missing school, losing weight and feeling like death.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There's usually meat at a BBQ right? No veg or beans or potatoes, etc?

Some people mix bread crumbs into their burgers to make them hold together better. I'm not sure if hotdogs are GF in general, but if I wasn't sure and had celiac I wouldn't risk it (and if a "friend" is upset about this whole issue, she'd probably have similar reactions if I asked to read the labels to find out). Potato salad sounds safe, but if the mayo used had a bread crumb from previous use that could cause problems.
  • girlgeeklula
    girlgeeklula Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Your host makes me feel awkward. My bestie has Celiac's, so when she visits or we are getting together in general, I always make sure we have gluten free options that are more than "here's a salad". I even have my fiance conscientiously going to places that have GF menus so we have a list of safe places to eat when she's in town.

I'd say the most advice I can give is find some grab and go snacks/meals that keep so you always have them around and make a list of safe places you can eat. The positive of the GF fad (people going gluten free because they believe just cutting gluten will miraculously cause weight loss) is that a good number of grocers now have increasing GF sections (though Aldi's is still my favorite since they free to have the most options).